BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #shimsrocharactercreator-0 | 2021-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Take control of Gatoro, a cat that just saw a demonic entity appear outside his apartment.
Fight this strange visitor on the edge of your building roof.
Made for the #8bitstoinfinity jam with the themes "Boss" and "on the edge"

Cart #gatoro-0 | 2021-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #stocksim-0 | 2021-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #udead_1-0 | 2021-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

U DEAD

You are a block with a face.

Navigate the moving walls, and shoot for a high score.

By popular demand, press Up or Down on the title screen to toggle between regular and classic modes!

Controls

[Z] Move

[X] Manual direction change

[Left / Right] Toggle palette

[Enter] Pause

11 comments

Cart #panepon-3 | 2021-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first PICO-8 project. I wanted to learn PICO-8 development, so I decided to recreate Panel de Pon/Puzzle League/Tetris Attack with it!

Gameplay

Get as many points as you can by making matches of 3 or more of the same panel. The higher the combo, the more points you'll get. Chaining matches gives you huge bonus points too! Be sure to not let the stack touch the ceiling, or else it's game over.

Enjoy!!

0 comments

Cart #astropocalypse-0 | 2021-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

In Astropocalypse you take control of a hotshot meteor bent on destroying the galaxy.

Use your directional pad to steer your meteor buddy and ram it into nearby planets in the current solar system.

Press the Z button to boost forward quicker at the expense of using more energy.

Each destroyed planet gives you back energy useful to prolong your path of destruction.

Use your radar to track planet orbits, but also pay attention to the red curves in the arena, follow them to find orbiting planets.

Additionally, ram into the sun at the center of the solar-system to gain back energy and keep wrecking those helpless planets.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #beepbeep-0 | 2021-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #ghostsnnotes-0 | 2021-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, this is my first project, experimenting with the music tracker.
Hope you enjoy it

0 comments

Heyo, BBS!

I was setting up PICO-8 to be portable on my flash drive. It's easily doable, but one extra requirement I had is to make the same PICO directory available offline from Windows and Mac without hassle, since I had to move between platforms often. I also wanted to avoid using symlinks, Automator actions and other unnecessary dependencies. It's no harder, but I wanted to share a bit on how I did it for future reference. There is a handy similar thread that I was referring to, but I haven't found all the info there, so I decided to gather some tricks in one place.

First of all, if you need to prepare your existing PICO-8 data for transfer, locate your current home folder and copy it entirely into wherever you're going to store the program on the portable drive (consult the wiki for default locations).

Second, put PICO-8 executables for necessary platforms into the same location along with the home folder.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #getbeaned-0 | 2021-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a mod for MetroCubeVania that makes the world look like a transparent PNG.

5 comments

Cart #mot_grandprix2-0 | 2022-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Title screen artwork by Marco Vale

Update: The track editor is now available here.

Update 2: Added Autodromo Nazionale di Monza circuit

Update 3: Added last two tracks (Hockenheim and Spa Francorchamps) plus championship mode. The BBS version now plays identically to the itch.io multi-cart version.

Update 4: Minor update to add some side-textures to buildings. (No more boring gray boxes.)

Step back in time to an era when folk were real folk and racecar steering wheels were real steering wheels.
Mot's Grand Prix is a pseudo 3D Formula 1 racer inspired by Grand Prix Circuit, Continental Circus and a bunch of other 80s/90s racers I've forgotten :).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

i'll maybe submit this to the pico-1k jam

Cart #fresh_water-1 | 2021-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #picoharvest-2 | 2021-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Pico Harvest!

In this little farming game, you play as a happy farmer in his red tractor. Your crops are ready to be harvest in a maze full of ravens and moles.

Game Play

Scare off the birds using the horn in your tractor. Drive carefully to avoid the holes made by the moles.

Do your harvest before the night falls

Controls

Keyboard:

• Movement: arrow keys

• Action (horn): Z or X

Controler:

• Movement: Dpad/analog stick

• Action (horn): 🅾️ or ❎

Development

I made this game for The Great Autumn Game Jam: 2021

The game uses procedural generation to create the level. The maze is created first and templates are used to populate the level with assets.

This is my first game jam. It was really fun to work in Pico-8 with the theme of autumn and harvest season.

Special thanks to:

AndyGFX for share the procedural generation functions (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3985)

Krystman for Porklike - Video Tutorial - Making a Roguelike in Pico-8 (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=33121) I used some functions from this tutorial and learned a lot

Have fun!

1 comment

Cart #sprout-0 | 2021-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sprout is a competitive turn based, 2 player strategy game.

I doubt this is the first game of its kind, I feel I've seen someting similar in the past but it is what it is :?)

::Sprout Rules::

Objective:
First player to grow their plant into the other players garden bed wins

Start of game:
The board is a 8x8 grid, with a 1x8 vertical tan coloured garden bed on each side. Each player has a base sprout on their respective side of the board in their garden bed. Purple starts first, then oranges go next. Both players use the same buttons when it's their turn.

During your turn:
You can choose and place 1 tile during your turn. Once you place the tile, your turn ends. The types of tiles you can choose from are listed below (except for base sprouts)

Types of tiles:
– Branch: standard tile, each player has an infinite amount of these and can only be continued in one direction.
– Sprout: a tile that allows the player to place tiles that ‘sprout’ from its 3 remaining ends. Each player gets 2 each
– Bridge: a bridge can be placed on top of another player's tile, which after that basically functions like a normal branch tile. You cannot place a bridge on top of a bridge or a bush, but you can place them on sprouts and base sprouts. You can also follow a bridge with another bridge, and can still Win the game by placing a bridge in the opponent's garden bed. Each player gets 2 each
– Bush: you can place a bush on top of any of your own tiles (except for bridges) and basically block the other player from being able to place a bridge onto that tile. Each player gets 1 each.
– Base sprout: like a sprout, but can only ‘sprout’ twice in any 2 chosen directions. This tile is already placed on the board and cannot be moved or placed by the player. This acts as your beginning point, hence it being called the ‘base’ sprout.

Moving the cursor:
During your turn, use the arrow keys to move the blinking grey cursor. Pay attention to the cursor’s sprite, as this determines what type of tile you have selected to place. the cursor will become a cross if the cursor is in a
space that you’re not allowed to place any tiles.

Cycling through tile options:
You can use the z key to cycle through your available tiles, which you will notice changes the sprite of the cursor to indicate what tile is currently selected. This will also cycle through each available orientation of the current tile type before moving onto the next tile type.

Placing a tile:
Once you’ve selected the tile you want to place, Press the x key to place the currently selected tile. Doing this will end your turn and begin the next player's turn.

General strategy:
In general the player with the best balance between attack and defence will be the most likely to win the game, but keep in mind that the player who goes first gets the advantage, because if both players were to continually places tiles in a straight line, the first player (purple) would reach the opponents garden bed first. So with that being said, it may be wiser to focus more on defence or attack depending on whether you go first or second.

0 comments

Psst, hey kid, you wanna make a megaman? I'm not supposed to tell anyone this, but check this out.

Two questions I often see asked by Pico-8 beginners are how to animate your player sprite, and how to make them shoot bullets. When setting up your game objects for tasks like this, tables can scare a lot of new Lua coders away, because it can feel easier to just use a bunch of variables. Don't fall into this trap though! It'll make the code a lot harder to maintain as your project grows, and doesn't work for things like bullets at all.

Tables are an easy way to organize objects that get created and die, update, draw to the screen at the same time, etc. Getting more confident with all of the features of Lua is the first step to improving as a programmer (check out the Lua manual for more info), but for now I'll just go through a simple and efficient table structure that will work for many game designs. Before we get into game related stuff though, let's talk about the basics of tables.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #marksman-14 | 2021-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

With music by @thesebonesalone

What's this about?

The most prestigious archery competition is now open to all that can string a bow. He who completes every stage will have an assured place among the queen's own marksmen!

Instructions

The goal is to hit the bullseye with an arrow

• Hold down O to enter aim mode
    • While O is pressed, use the arrow keys to change the direction in which the bow is pointing
  • Press X to fire arrow
  • Move with arrow keys
  • Springs will spring both the player or the arrows
  • Be careful of spikes, they'll make you spontaneously combust!

Devlog

You can find the source code for this game on GitHub, here. I kept the code in different files and used p8tool to bundle them in the p8.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Is there a way to get PICO-8 cartridges running on the PocketGo v1? (https://retromimi.com/products/pocketgo-retro-gaming-system)
I've looked on the reddit but I can't find anything.

1 comment

This is a very small arcade game for a game jam.
Theme was "paranormal Activity"
In this game you're a wraith. Get close to those pesky humans to suck out their life force.
Move to the magic circle to feed the portal the life force you gathered.
Avoid those priests...

Spent roughly a day, so don't expect too much :)

Cart #gubihuhoru-1 | 2021-09-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

I just purchased and downloaded PICO-8 for my raspberry pi, and when I try to boot it it will not. When I double click on the file, I am asked to execute it, which I do. After this, it open for a half second before closing immediately.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to open it correctly?

9 comments

GrassZone

Cart #grasszone-47 | 2022-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[80x8]

It is the year 4086. The world is ending, and the only grass left is on Grazz Island. The World Preservation Society (WPS) has hired you to get a grass sample from Grazz Island. The last person who went there tried to take some grass off the island, but it disintegrated when he left the Island. The world's only hope is the golden grass that has been on that island for over 450 years. Find the grass and save the world.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->