Follow
kiiro
[ :: Read More :: ]

Classic Picotris

A (mostly) accurate NES Tetris clone

Cart #classicpicotris-6 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Features:

• NES Tetris scoring, speed, DAS behavior, blocks rotation and spawn.
  • On screen DAS gauge.
  • Four different themes to choose from.
  • A "Customize" screen with some gui options, like showing/hiding the DAS gauge and stats.

Known problems:

• The left/right block movement sfx is not perfectly synced to the actual movement of the block. I tried to understand the problem but to no avail, so a help here is highly appreciated.

Changelog:

• v1.0 Release version.
  • v1.01 Current level and lines cleared don't reset after you start a new game, making them easier to be read after the game ends.
  • v1.02 Fixed a bug that was causing a crash when trying to rotate a piece at the bottom of the board.
  • v1.03 Fixed score overflowing and crashing the game when scoring a tetris on levels >27.
  • v1.04 Fixed game crashing when locking a piece on the board while it was partly hidden by the top of the field. (Thanks @packbat!)

• v1.1
    • Added Tetris Rate counter.
    • Added Drought counter. Default behavior is "dynamic", only appearing when the drought value is >= 15.
    • Added settings for tetris rate and drought.
    • Fixed the tetromino rotating if pressing the button as it was locking in place.
  • v1.11
    • Fixed tetris rate calculation.

Tested extensively on levels 18 and 19~28.

As always, here's another project that I started because I was bored and I just wanted to put down some code.
Since I love Tetris, I wanted to understand how Tetris is made "under the hood", so making a Tetris clone looked like good enough challenge. I decided to make a clone of NES Tetris since it's the one that I like the most and I'm most accustomed to (NES Tetris is the Tetris used during CTWC, the Classic Tetris World Championships), so I already had a pretty good grasp of how it feels to play.

I wanted to make a minimal, functional game, with no frills or super amazing graphic effects, just something that I can use to train and to play Tetris using Pico-8, instead of having to rely on often laggy NES emulators.

I really learned a lot while making this, trying to overcome difficulties and studying how NES Tetris is working.
In the current state, I'm confident the game is pretty much done, with just a handful of (really minor) bugs, and I know it because it's been in this state for at least two months, but I always played the game instead of completing the final touches needed for submitting it. That, in my book, is a good sign of a game that works.

Please let me know if you find some bugs, if you want additional features to be added (for example, I'm thinking about a drought counter and Tetris rate counter like in the CTWC hud), and have fun :).

P#136143 2023-10-20 15:47 ( Edited 2024-04-09 11:01)

Cart #gridhack-6 | 2022-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by the Deus Ex Human Revolution hacking minigame, I came out with a design for a procedurally generated spin on it, and decided to give it a go and try to make it into a finished game.

The rules are simple, hack the grid node by node and arrive at the destination node (green node), whilst capturing yellow bonus nodes (if you can) that give you money and additional powerups.
For more in depth rules, an in-game help screen is available ;).

Controls:
Mouse to do everything
Z - Select node / Activate powerup
X - Switch from node selection to powerup selection

The game is not 100% balanced and it could potentially turn out to be too easy or too hard. Feedback is appreciated.

Have fun! ;)

CHANGELOG

• v1.0
    Initial version

• v1.1
    Added controller support

• v1.11
    Fixed icapt powerup alerting the enemy
    Fixed button prompts in main menu

• v1.12
    Help accessible using keyboard commands
P#113599 2022-06-24 22:53 ( Edited 2022-11-04 00:12)

Cart #anime_character_creator-0 | 2022-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple cart I made to test sprites that I'm using for a game. You can switch ears/headwear, hair and change their color. Have fun making your 8-bit waifu ;)

Might update it with more parts in the future.

P#105117 2022-01-15 01:29 ( Edited 2022-01-15 01:33)

Time attack racing game for two players with random track generation.
Use the arrow keys to change generation settings in the menu.

P#53682 2018-06-21 15:36 ( Edited 2018-06-25 16:41)

Cart #53567 | 2018-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A train simulator for Pico-8??
Well, an attempt to make one. Heavily WIP and probably buggy.

Controls:
Up - Down --> Throttle
Left - Right -- > Brakes

Try to stop at the stations the closest you can to the end of the platform without overshooting it.

P#53568 2018-06-14 20:57 ( Edited 2018-06-23 19:33)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 21:20:31 | 0.082s | Q:24