BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #floatman-0 | 2021-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple 1-button game where you have to float and avoid blocks.

This was my first attempt at using PICO-8. I tried to make a very simple game after hastily finishing Dylan Bennett's Cave Diver tutorial. A few parts of the code are remnants from that.

Known Bugs:

• Blocks were supposed to have more variant sizes going all the way from top to bottom, and not having an average height to the middle of the screen, but making it so the blocks always generate with enough space among them so the player can avoid them was taking more time than I was willing to spend on this game at this time.
  • Sometimes game is unbeatable because top and bottom blocks don't leave enough space in between them.
1 comment

Cart #nicobrush_scroll_prototype-0 | 2021-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

So, I've been working on a web based MIDI to PICO-8 converter for a while now. It was going pretty well, but today I introduced a bug, which totally corrupted the SFX data. The input was the traditional melody, Ghost Of John. The output was this:

[sfx]

Surprisingly, I like the way it sounds. I guess I composed some original music here, but it was completely accidental. I guess if you make enough mistakes, some of them are bound to turn out ok.

Now I just need to figure out what kind of game goes with this soundtrack. Any suggestions? Feel free to use this in your own projects if it fits.

0 comments

Hello, I'm Going to Buy Pico-8, And I wanted to ask, Does Pico-8 run on a Raspberry Pi Zero W https://buyzero.de/collections/raspberry-pi-zero-kits/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w?variant=38399156114.
And if yes is there a way to make Pico-8 the "Operating System" so that it starts when I Booting up the Pc

1 comment

Cart #berzerk_realm-2 | 2023-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Berzerk Realm is based on the 1980 arcade game, Berzerk.

Help Broccoli Rob escape the Wirehead robots, but beware the electric walls and the unstoppable Timey Tim!

Start/Fire: Z-key or O-button
Move: Arrows

50pts per bot destroyed.
Bonus for destroying all robots in a room: 10pts/bot.

5 comments

Cart #king_of_zapcattle-0 | 2021-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Still a work in progress, made for the GMTK Game Jam 2021, but I failed to submit on time...

1 comment

Cart #tjlr01-0 | 2021-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the full level 1-1 from Super Mario Bros., graphics and all, contained in 3 tweets, or 840 bytes. The first 280 bytes contains the actual level data (including level-specific graphics), and the next two contain the rendering engine and the main tileset. I'm thinking about making some more add-on levels, which should each fit in a single tweet.

I've made a number of Tweetcarts, and also worked on systems to efficiently compress graphics and level data to fit more on a PICO-8 cart, so this is kind of the logical combination of both. I'm not going to try and fit a full NES game in tweet form, but it's a neat demo that helped me learn some new optimization strategies.

3 comments

I've started with pico-8 and game dev recently, so as to learn how to do stuff I decided to add features to the tutorial game. It still is not "complete", since I want to add a few more features before stopping.

Cart #wujzjjo-0 | 2021-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The code is terribly messy, but I didn't have a clue on how to structure anything before. Hopefully I can learn before going on to making a game of mine.

0 comments

This is the second of the two little utilities I've made, the first being stream-ecs (in a separate post.)
The github project page.

prot-oo

This one's a bit more straight-forward. Prototype based inheritance/OOP. It basically just defines the base object and a few methods.

Use create to use an object as a prototype for some other object:

dog = object:create() -- use the base object as prototype
dog.sound = 'woof!'
function dog:talk()
  print(self.sound)
end

cat = dog:create() -- use the dog object as prototype
cat.sound = 'meow'

dog:talk() -- woof!
cat:talk() -- meow

You can create classes (well, not really, because prototypes, but sort of) by defining a method called init and using the new method.

vec2D = object:create()
function vec2D:init(x, y)
  self.x = x
  self.y = y
end
function vec2D:length()
  return sqrt(self.x^2 + self.y^2)
end

v = vec2D:new(3, 4)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=93466#p)
0 comments

I picked up a copy of PICO-8 a few months ago on a whim and have been playing around with it, following a tutorial here and there, etc. Really enjoying it and I love seeing the creativity of people in the community.

I have yet to try my hand at an actually complete game and, as I'm basically infinitely distractable, may never actually accomplish it. In the meantime, to learn some of the ins and outs of Lua, with which I was not previously familiar, I've combined two of my favourite software writing pastimes: re-inventing wheels and making tiny utilities.

In that spirit, I give you:

• stream-ecs (267 tokens), a (sort of) reactive stream based entity-component-system with automatic entity queue management, and
  • prot-oo (72 tokens), prototype based object-oriented programming (in a separate post)

I'll describe them a bit below and there's more info at the github project page. Each tool has its own README describing it in detail.

stream-ecs

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Two functions to draw outlined sprites (with some help from kreyk29!)

Regular version that does smooth outlines:

function outspr(sp,x,y,w,h,flpx,flpy,out)
 for c=0,15 do
  pal(c,out)
 end
 spr(sp,x+1,y,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x-1,y,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x,y+1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x,y-1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 pal()
 spr(sp,x,y,w,h,flpx,flpy)
end

Another version that does square outlines:

function outspr(sp,x,y,w,h,flpx,flpy,out)
 for c=0,15 do
  pal(c,out)
 end
 spr(sp,x-1,y,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x+1,y,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x,y+1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x,y-1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x-1,y-1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x+1,y-1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x-1,y+1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 spr(sp,x+1,y+1,w,h,flpx,flpy)
 pal()
 spr(sp,x,y,w,h,flpx,flpy)
end

Example carts:

Cart #watermellon-0 | 2021-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

This is my first attempt to make a game using PICO-8.

Cart #gokabawoji-1 | 2021-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #surface_level-0 | 2021-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

if u think u good, go play here to compete for the highest score. winner gets nothing. wait, what? High scores in a pico-8 game? yes, we've technically achieved this. go here to check it out!

Controls

• left/right to adjust your speed
  • up to fake a phone call
  • z/c to jump
  • x to grind

About the game

Player has cuss to do. People are in Player's way. They are asking Player deep questions. They are forcing Player to introspect. Player does not have time to deal with their emotional baggage. Player has cuss to do. Help Player!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #dracus17mouse-1 | 2021-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So I was making a project which needed some mouse support, and I decided to make an interface that was universally applicable. After some work to generalize the code, I created this example to share with you people.

The Interface

Usage is pretty simple, tab 1 in the cart above contains all one needs to be able to implement this, so just copy it over to a new tab in your cart.

Insert init_mouse in your _init, with a table containing your interactable elements (we'll come back to this table). update_mouse and draw_mouse are quite self-explanatory.

The mouse calls the function mouse_down whenever you left click, and mouse_up when released (I left right and middle clicking out to support people on mobile or other platforms where mouses have less buttons, but they're easy enough to implement if needed).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #algebra_blaster-0 | 2021-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here is a little educational game I made for my 6th-grade students. You solve algebraic equations by shooting UFOs with fireworks! (The project started as a firework generator based on Doc Robs' particle system, and my students asked for a math game).

Enjoy!

0 comments

Cart #rabhebesu-0 | 2021-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey there, I'm trying to make a dash similar to the celeste classic one. I just have no idea how to code it. I just want a dash similar to that happen when inputting left or right. I looked at the code in celeste classic but can't make heads or tails of it. Could someone help me out? Thanks.

P.S. I left in the cartridge I am referencing to in this post.

1 comment

"Are you there @zep? It's me again, Margaret Felice."

I was thinking about how the option to show additional screens could open up the ability to write on-target dev tools to complement the existing IDE, and yet we're not really seeing any of that (yet).

I don't think it's a big deal that these additional screens are officially unsupported and you have to alter the pico8.exe command line to use them at all, because only a dev needs dev tools, and devs know how to alter command lines. I don't think that's why.

I think the problem with dev tools and debug libraries comes in the form of the token limit.

Any and all dev tools are going to take up tokens, and once you go past 8192 tokens, your app can't even launch. So someone with a nearly-finished app that's utilizing most or all of the allowed tokens is going to be absolutely unable to use any form of dev tool, debugging library, or even just print() debugging.

So...

Would it be possible to add a command-line option to increase the limit from 8K to, let's say, 32K tokens?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

53 comments

Cart #digger-2 | 2023-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Remake of Digger, the classic 1983 game for IBM PC and compatibles by Windmill Software.

I made this in 3 days, so hopefully it's not to buggy/janky.

Update 1: Fixed a bug that was causing level background graphics to be blank.

How to Play

Collect all emeralds or kill all the bugs to complete the level.

Arrow - Move
Z/X/C - Shoot

Scoring

Gain a new life for every 20,000 points (you can only have up to 5 lives at a time).

Emerald
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #tinyhero-1 | 2021-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE: I've added a MINIMAP that you can access in-game by pressing X, which allows you to quickly view where you are and which items you still need to collect.

I retired from (game)programming about 18 years ago, but a few weeks ago I stumbled upon the wonderful PICO-8 and I could not resist giving it a try. This game is the result of that. It's a tribute to one of my favorite games when I was young, H.E.R.O., created by John van Ryzin. I expanded the original concept a bit, added a few new gameplay elements like keys and collectibles to give it a tiny bit of a Metroid vibe as well. I managed to cram in about 120 different screens but I think the game is still relatively easy to complete. It also features checkpoints, which allows you to continue playing from the last checkpoint when you die, even when you close and reopen the game. If it's still too difficult or you just wanna explore the map, you might want to look into the main Pico menu and look for an additional option I added :)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #nobewuhehu-0 | 2021-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Make "Concentrated linework" like effect.

Arrow keys: Move center
Z/X: Change number of lines

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->