BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #acquire-9 | 2021-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICO-8 adaption of the 1964 strategic boardgame Acquire. The objective of Acquire is to earn the most money through investing in and developing hotel chains.

Controls

• Left/right arrow keys, select an option (tile, stocks, etc).
  • [o] / z to show (toggle) the reference stocks information.
  • [x] / x to play the selected option.

Rules

Watch this short (6:55) video on how to play Acquire

The objective of Acquire is to earn the most money through investing in and developing hotel chains (as identified by T, L, A, W, F, I, C).

Players can found hotel chains, buy stocks in them, merge chains which will give bonus payouts and expand chains to increase their stock value. Each player starts with $6000 in cash and 6 location tiles, hidden from other players. You are player 1 (P1) and will be playing against 3 AI players (P2-P4). A random player starts.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Fading Stars Demo

Cart #fading_stars-6 | 2021-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Demo showing the combination of the stars and fade effect I used in PICO Space: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=42279.

[UPDATE 2021-4-12: 8bit and 16bit cached modes (explanation below and in code), some other small tweaks]
[UPDATE 2021-5-6: added interleaved 8bit mode]

Stars

The stars are just simple particles that have x,y,z coordinates.

In this demo I use a couple of sin functions to give them some movement combined with a divide by the z coord for a bit of parallax. In game, I feed in the player's position.

Then I clamp the resulting x,y values to the screen with the modulus operator so they're always visible (%128). It does mean that the same stars go past constantly, but otherwise I was processing a lot of particles that don't get seen very often (not aiming for realism here).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #spaceoban-1 | 2021-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Spaceoban is Sokoban in space!

This sokoban game has a story where you help Oban fight off aliens. The basic mechanic is to push around crates, but in later levels you have to use batteries to power conveyor belts, water to put out fires, and more. The game has two endings based on a choice in a late level.

Press Z to undo the last move, and X to restart the level. Arrow keys move Oban.

If you try the game, but don't finish it, please let me know at which level you stopped. You don't have to say why you stopped, if it's too boring or too hard or you just don't have time to play. I'm just curious how much patience players have with the game and if a specific level is too hard.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

please, help me with updating my pico-8

1 comment

Cart #tokn1ght-1 | 2021-01-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Toknight 1.3

Patch notes:

[hidden]

• Initial pre-alpha release

• More map
  • Added Firerod

• Added Icerod (placed at beginning, not permanent spot)
  • Added projectiles from rods
  • Bug fixes

• Title screen and opening dialogue done
  • Visual changes to fades

• Added new crossbow enemies
  • New obtainable item - Bread. This increases your maximum health
  • Many big fixes

• Added money, dropped from enemies
  • Shovel Knight inspired money reclaiming system after you die
  • Minimap will show current checkpoint and where your lost money is
  • Bug fixes
  • Use for money to come later

• Removed the icerod and replaced with hammer (still temporary location)
  • Now checkpoints require 2 coins to activate
  • Added in shops
  • Bug fixes
  • Logo screen

• Hotfix of bug that broke the game
  • Added last weapon, excalibur
  • balanced item costs

• Last Pre-alpha!
  • Changed camera to have a more smooth transition across x values
  • Placed weapons in permanent spots

• Attack cooldowns tinkered with
  • SFX added (music later)
  • Added in final boss battle

• Added music
  • Lots of bug fixes

• Code cleanup
  • Re-release so more people can play ;)

• Added speedrun potential with a timer that will show at the end along with the current record holder
    if you did not load a save during the run

• Fixed boss health bug
  • Fixed speedrun timer

Re-relase on new account on 12th Jan

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

this is old, click here to check out the finished version!

here is my game where you play as a very red (or blue or green or yellow or orange) man who cant walk very well but he can grip like nobodys business.

if you want to try out what i have, feedback would be appreciated. mostly just trying to get fresh opinions on the feel of the movement and the level designs, but if you want to peek around and tell me how horrible my code is, feel free to do that too

CONTROLS

O/X: reach out a hand and grab
left/right: rotate aim angle
down (hold): aiming mode; reach without grabbing
up: hop

update: fixed some bugs, added "warning sign" to the difficult shortcut routes, added new end screen, made player physics less bouncy to avoid unfair deaths, softened some difficulty spikes with extra checkpoints, made checkpoints refresh when you acquire keys, new titlescreen, other improvements

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

any help is there a way I can make a logo kind of like unitys splash

7 comments

A few people have asked me for hints / a walkthrough for Bob of Thunder. Rather than just produce a video that you have to skip through, I've decided to give this hint guide to give a little nudge and let people solve things the rest of the way by themselves!

General Hints

Ljessnir, Bob's hammer, can hit switches at a distance, and will try to return to him even across the room. Try to experiment with different ways you can hit switches and different orders - all switches don't do the same things!

No matter what order you do things, there's always a way to progress, but it may be something you forgot about in a previous area. If you get stuck, try wandering back through the places you've been.

Hearts and coins respawn when you leave a room, so if you're low on health or money, you can return to any rooms that contain those items again.

The NPCs want Bob to succeed, so if you see any of them, make sure to talk to them right away!

Entrance Area

Q: How do I go further north?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #pwizardbeta-0 | 2021-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #legendofchikin-0 | 2021-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

When running in full screen on macOS Big Sur, the display is around the screen is not cleared, resulting in a pattern of red lines.

0 comments

Cart #shaveme-2 | 2022-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was a game I made for 'Winter Jam 2020', an internal game jam at my job, which finished mid-December 2020.

The theme was 'A Close Shave'.

The game was a hit, and everyone enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun making this.

Update, over a year later.

Addressed some feedback around message speed by upping the default speed, adding message speed selection at start screen as well as pause screen, and made the dialogue box larger.

Loose pieces of hair fall when shaven off with the buzzer.

Changed the title screen.

5 comments

I'm looking for a simple function to rotate a sprite (or just one sprite tile) by 90 degrees to reduce sprite-sheet usage. We can already easily flip a sprite, so surely a 90-degree rotation isn't that far off, given we can already do it with the R key in the sprite editor.

I've spent a lot of time searching and seen lots of examples of free rotation to any angle you want. They all look very nice, but they use a lot of code and CPU time. All I want is the ability to rotate by 90 degrees, which I imagine would be a lot simpler and take a lot less CPU time and code, since there's no angle calculations or trigonometry, just a simple rows/columns operation.

Before I try to get my head around it, I was wondering if anyone else already has an elegant solution?

4 comments

Cart #bobthunder-4 | 2021-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm excited to introduce Bob of Thunder, my entry to Toy Box Jam 2!

This is probably my most ambitious cart in terms of process: it borrows heavily from the techniques I used in Astro Clerk in The Documents of Mars last year, but it has a considerably larger map requiring compression, more in terms of scripted events, and took way more planning. I plan to write up some of the more interesting parts later on.

The Story So Far

BOB OF THUNDER

In the land of Midgard, none is so mighty as THOR!

After a mead-filled night on the town, the Odinson tends to leave a trail of damage and disrepair in his wake.

You are BOB, contractor to the gods, mender of fences, and entry on several speed-dials across the nine realms.

The power's out in Vilahalla, where Thor spent all weekend partying, and your voicemail's filling up with work requests. Time to put on your steel-toed boots and defrost your pickup - it's going to be a long day!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #contraster-0 | 2021-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

9 comments

Cart #collide_demo_flags-0 | 2021-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a short demo of how to draw a map, place a sprite and detect collisions with the map.
Make sure the map has sprites with flag 0 set to true.
On each update the player's input is read and that new location is checked for a sprite with flag 0 set.
If true, a collision is detected and the previous x and y position of the player are restored.

0 comments

Does anyone know the name of that 3D game set in outer space that started off as a Pico-8 prototype? Remembered it just now but not the name! Does anyone know?

2 comments

Hey!
This is my first PICO8 game that I've created while learning the basics of PICO8.

Cart #simpletsuri-0 | 2021-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SimpleTsuri is a fishing simulator, your goal is to gather enough money to buy the trophy!
Press Z to cast your rod/dismiss a box/accept your selection.
Press X to switch to shop-inventory hybrid.

UP and DOWN selects your bait type or buy/sell option in shop-inventory.
LEFT and RIGHT moves your rod or selects an item in shop-inventory.

It might not have the best... anything but seeing as it was made as a learning exercise, still pretty proud of it.

0 comments

Cart #mihigeseha-0 | 2021-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #manbomber-0 | 2021-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

How to Play

Welcome to Manbomber, an explosive homage to the old-time multiplayer classic made with PICO-8! In this game, your goal is to drop bombs on the battlefield to eliminate all other players in time and be the last manbomber standing.

The game can be played with up to 4 players battling each other. While in the 2-player mode, both players can use the same keyboard to control their manbomber, a controller for each player is required for all other modes. Any Controller which can be connected to your device will do!

So grab a couple of friends, choose one of the three battlefields and blast off!

Items

While bombing your way through the battlefield, you will come across various items which may help (or hinder) you along the way:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->