BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #frozax_dnamutations-0 | 2021-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny puzzle game made in a few hours for the discord jam #5.

Apply mutations to DNA to match the target.

Known issues:

• Levels generated are usually too easy and can be solved without using all the mutations offered.

Have fun!

2 comments

a little game idea i've been toying around with. i've set my goal for 2021 to move forward with it and get some levels completed and publish a cart, even if for my own amusement! :D

2 comments

Cart #ggaughan_wakey_001-1 | 2021-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

hello,
I just received my PiBoy from ExperimentalPi (it's running retropie) and, although Pico-8 is working fine with an external usb keyboard, I can't succeed in mapping/registering the integrated joypad and buttons with Pico-8.
did anyone figure it out?
thanks a grand

2 comments

Cart #danb91_picosnood-1 | 2021-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

My submission for #toyboxjam2. It's PICO-8 clone of Snood! Match 3 or more snoods in a row to clear them or even make other surrounding snoods fall. Clear all the snoods to beat each level. Keep an eye on your Danger meter! Each time it fills the snoods inch closer to the bottom. Once they're low enough you lose. Making snoods fall will lower your Danger meter.

Controls

• Left and Right -- Rotate launcher left and right
  • X -- Launch snood
  • Z -- Hold in conjunction with Left or Right to aim more precise shots
1 comment

Cart #simple_bike-0 | 2021-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #shadowrepeatsyou-0 | 2021-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Entry for the One Hour Game Jam 297th, Theme: Follow.

https://onehourgamejam.com/

A Shadow is following you, and you need to reach the Goal. Your Shadow(s) also need to reach a Goal.

Note:
It took me four Hours instead of only one to make this Cart. It would be dishonest to other Jammers if I would hide that fact^^.

I like the Idea, maybe I'll work on some more Levels and a better presentation, but I really don't know atm^^.

Have Fun!

2 comments

Low-Rez pixel art is the great equalizer.

Anyone can do low-rez pixel art and make it look at least decent.

There was a high school teacher that taught his students how to code homebrew games on the Game Boy Advance via emulators and a flash cart.

While this teachers deserves applause, ultimately all the student projects looked amateurish next to commercial Game Boy Advance games.

The fuze basic for the Nintendo Switch also appeals to students but it relies on a pre-packaged library of professional 3d assets. Simply reusing professional assets leads to a mish-mash of styles. Your own artwork next to these assets also looks unflattering.

The low rez resolution and reduced color palette of pico-8 makes for more visual consistency. Yes professional pixel artists will still produce better looking games but the beginners art does not look like crap in comparison either.
You can still be a one-man shop like in the days of bedroom coding in the UK of the eighties. Instead of being at least a artist/coder duo.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #dice_mice-1 | 2021-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Introduction

In Dice Mice, players take the role as a posh mouse fighting through trash monsters that have taken over your land. In your disposal you have five dice that can be used for attacking the monsters five different cores.

Defeat monsters by attacking their heart core, but just focusing on that core won’t do you any good, you have to take into account the attack and defence core as well. If you are feeling adventurous during a fight then try to go for a quintuple for an instant victory!

Just know that if things get tough there is always the flee core; run from the battle and try a new one! Maybe the next encounter will be in your favor? Or if you are in a real pinch, try to build on the bandage core to heal during battle!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #bubble_jumper_wip-0 | 2021-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Left/Right - Walk on Bubbles
X - Jump

What is this?

This morning I was thinking about one of Spelunky 2's bosses, and older games like Bubble Bobble, and was just sort of working out how a platformer jumping on bubbles would work. I decided I'd try and knock out a game in a day and just started hacking on it.

Ended up having some errands to run and projects to work on around the house, but for working on a thing off and on this is a decent start. There's nothing to do yet besides jump around on the bubbles. I'll probably just have some basic collectible, a high score system, sounds, and a game over screen and call it done.

One of my goals for 2021 is to complete a small game each week so I want to be better about identifying my design goals and cutting scope.

Credits

Music by Gruber (https://www.patreon.com/Gruber99)
Character Design from https://modsama.itch.io/4ssplatform

1 comment

Happy New Year.

Best wishes to all PICO -8 users.

新年あけましておめでとうございます。

PICO-8ユーザーの皆様に幸多かれん事を。

0 comments

Cart #gravito-3 | 2021-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A zero gravity platformer

Controls:
Move - Arrows
Jump - Z
Double Jump - X + Arrows

Music is from Picotunes2

5 comments

Per this discussion, I wanted to mockup a potential new idea for the Pico8 editor, to better incorporate some of the undocumented features that are being used more and more often by people. The 32 color extended palette is the major one, which I still think does not play nice with the existing editors, for three reasons:

• Repeatedly tweaking the colors in your art requires you to look up arbitrary numbers and re-type them into a line of code, which introduces a huge delay that makes doing this in Pico8 very unpleasant. Some tools have been coded by other people to help you with this in-game, but I'm talking about the editor itself. The current art tabs don't work with the alt colors at all, and color is important enough that this is kind of making them unusable in their current state. I feel like every game I've played in the past year here has tweaked at least one color from the starting 16 into an alternate, so it's a huge use case.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #chronometer-0 | 2021-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I like powers of 2 and I like seeing odometers roll-over, so I created this little cart to help celebrate those mathematical milestone birthdays.

0 comments

First test of motorbike V0.1

Cart #motorbikedemo-0 | 2021-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Her is my work in progresse little project, motorbike
at the beginning i just wanted to learn how to make paralax
there is barely anything, just a few sprit and a very basique hitbox system
that's it.

0 comments

Cart #joya-1 | 2023-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Be calm. Ring the bell. Remove 108 "Bonnos".

Joya no Kane is an eccentric rhythm game. Hit the bell rhythmically using the shumoku (wooden hammer,) remove Bonnos (Kleshas), and celebrate the New Year.

As the name suggests, this game was inspired by a custom in Japan. Japanese Buddhist temples ring their bells 108 times at midnight on NYE (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Eve#Japan if interested.)

Due to the pandemic, I didn't heard the bells this NYE and felt a little sad. That's why I made this game.

Have fun :)

How To Play

Controlls

Arrow Keys : Move the Shumoku

Rule

Hit the bell with the shumoku when circles that appear at fixed intervals overlap a bolder circle.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #visco_googroker-0 | 2021-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A PICO-8 Katamari-like for Toy Box Jam 2. Instructions are included in-game.

2 comments

How to reproduce:

• register custom menu entry
  • run game with an endless while/flip loop

bug: menu item code is never triggered

Cart #gijenijato-0 | 2021-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #sogoyisaga-0 | 2021-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little animated thingy. We want to go to Japan someday.

0 comments

Dear Pico-8 Community,

The darker colour palette should be available without fiddling with memory or coming up with detour functions.

@BoneVolt @Krystman
(via YouTube and such... not dissing! You guys are great <3)

Palette switches were cute,
but this whole schebang has flopped into an inefficient knot (as far as I can tell).

...I wish that first-time-carts from total amateurs (like me) could also use "dark-brown", lol.
...And that expert carts don't all use ~double the amount of available colours.

Perhaps I don't understand the memory limitations.
And I do appreciate (and want to preserve) the elegance of "0-15"/Proof of concept/Simplicity didactics etc..

But the cats' been out of the bag for a while.

@zep could you please greenlight "night mode" [EDIT: in the UI or functions].
Maybe its impossible at this rate. Maybe it wasn't intended this way.

Dunno. Shäre ur thoughts...

Trying to be constructive. Or did I miss something?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

19 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->