BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #highstakes-2 | 2020-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Las Vegas 2024. Vampires have stolen your blood. Play the card game of your life and win it all back.

Rules

Every round you will be dealt 9 cards face-down. The goal of the game is to flip as many cards face-up as possible. There is one Vampire card and 8 value cards ranging from 2 to 9. There is always only one copy in each card on the board. If you flip the Vampire card you lose the round.

Complete rows or columns to unlock Hint Tokens.

• ​A [+] hint token can be placed on a face-down card to predict its number. The token will display a number once placed. The value of the face-down card is that number or higher. Vampire cards count as 10. So a [8+] token means the card is either a 9, an 8 or a Vampire​

[ Continue Reading.. ]

58 comments

Using -export command to automate multi cart package building and blocked by a number of bugs:

• unable to specify HTML plate path (only works if export is actually performed from home folder)
  • inconsistent path parameters between bin and html exports:
# works for html
pico8.exe carts\cart_0.p8 -home . -export "game_alpha.html -p my_plate cart_1.p8 cart_2.p8"
# doesn't work for bin
pico8.exe carts\cart_0.p8 -home . -export "game_alpha.bin cart_1.p8 cart_2.p8"
# works for bin
cd carts
pico8.exe cart_0.p8 -export "game_alpha.bin cart_1.p8 cart_2.p8"
  • incomplete js generated unless export is run from carts folder
# produces broken js
pico8.exe carts\cart_0.p8 -home . -export "game_alpha.html -p my_plate cart_1.p8 cart_2.p8"
4 comments

Cart #kjs_christmas_2020-4 | 2020-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Created a Christmas themed game, pretty basic gameplay but with ramping up difficulty with each level. The quality of the coding isn't great as I haven't wanted to particularly devote a lot of time to the project, just slapping the code together to make it playable over producing good quality code as it's more a side project.

Currently my own personal record is level 9 with a high score of 322.

Update: Found a bug, so fixed it.

1 comment

Cart #mellow_meadow-0 | 2020-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to Mellow Meadow! Run, jump and reach the goal in this short & sweet retro 2D platformer!

Featuring:

•Tight controls to make movement endlessly fun.
•4 varied levels of escalating difficulty.
•An endgame ranking system - can you 100% the game in under 3 minutes without dying?
•Music and control options to suit your preferences.

Game, including music and SFX, by me.

Happy Halloween!

6 comments

Cart #eatin_pumpkin-0 | 2020-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a tiny Halloween game, enjoy!

Controls: Arrow keys or D-pad

Made by

Sebastian Lind: Twitter

4 comments

by
Cart # | | Embed ▽ | No License | Edit

Prototype from our game :)

0 comments

Cart #tinycact-0 | 2020-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Who doesn't love gambling in Final Fantasy XIV?

I do. Especially when the odds are in my favor.

This FF14 Mini Cactpot "solver" takes a simple approach: average all the possible outcomes of each decision you make during the Mini Cactpot minigame, and suggest the specific choice where the average outcome is highest.

Press square to make choices and X to undo them.

0 comments

you've received a mysterious invitation to a party. but it's not just any party...

it's the 💀monster mash💀

better find somebody to go with!

Cart #monstermash-1 | 2020-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:

• arrow keys to move
  • x to interact
  • z to jump

(made by @princryss and me! she did the design + art + sound, I did the programming)

5 comments

Here is something I've been playing around for a couple of days:

Cart #paletteplay-0 | 2020-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cart allow to use a "higher" colour count palette for PICO-8, and of course, there is a trick here: You only have a canvas of 64x64 area as a group of 2x2 pixels are used for each pixel you can display using dithering.

This is mostly a proof of concept, I know I'm not the only one trying this. The code can probably be optimised, and the palette themselves are probably not perfect.

The bonus is that I have 3 variante of the palette:

The first one with 10 colours per channel eating the full first tile bank:
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #swingby-0 | 2020-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is made for Ludum Dare 47 Compo.

1 comment

Cart #bermejafinal-3 | 2020-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey everyone,

This is a game i made way back but i never had time to finish due to development of Toknight and other games and A-levels. I thought i would release it anyway even though it isnt finished as its still a playable game until the end. Hope you enjoy!

2 comments

Ons is darem nou in Suid Afrika om bietjie te kuier, maar ek hou maar nog aan met die kaartjies teken en programmeer... Hoop jy verjaar baie lekker en het 'n wonderlike jaar wat voorlê! Klik op die speel knoppie hieronder om die kaartjie te sien.

Cart #veelsgelukpa2020-0 | 2020-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #diruwopusa-0 | 2020-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first tweetcart! All the 1D 3-neighbour cellular automata in 194 characters :)

The 1D cellular automata are a simply family of rules that are applied a row at a time in the tweetcart - there are 2^2^3=256 possible rules, and some make very cool fractal non-repeating patterns ... I love that such complexity can emerge from such simple rules - hope you enjoy!

Wikipedia article of relevance

cls()w=flr(rnd()*256)c=7+w%8p=pget
?w,60,1,c-1
for t=5,128do for x=0,127do
l=p(x-1,t)>1and 4or 0u=p(x,t)>1and 2or 0r=p(x+1,t)>1and 1or 0if(band(w,shl(1,l+u+r))>0)pset(x,t+1,c)end
flip()end
run()

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=83465#p)
1 comment

Cart #k8_caves_v1_1-0 | 2020-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I found a cool cave generation algorithm and I'm building a game around it. Currently you can only explore a single random level with 100 bats that fly randomly.

Features:

• random 128x64 map that wraps around
  • rendering y-sorted mobs
  • Kate, who can run, dash and stand still

Todo:

• damage system
  • attack for Kate
  • better sprites for the level (pls help, I suck at esthetics)
  • progression
  • more enemies
  • enemy AI
  • collision detection between mobs
  • more sounds
  • and a LOT more

Any feedback or suggestion are appreciated.

Versioin history:
1.1 (latest)

• dash
  • stamina
  • less noisy walls

Cart #k8_caves_v1_0-0 | 2020-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

• First release
5 comments

Cart #tebomejosi-1 | 2020-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Years ago while bored on a train with a deck of cards, I made up this solitaire game (for all I know, it may already exist under another name). So I've turned it into a little Pico-8 cart, my first "finished" game.

(as sounds common, I've started at least 4 other ideas... all in various WIP / playing-around stages, it's just too much fun to try new things...)

Arrange cards to make as many good poker hands as possible. For an extra challenge, play in "Perfectionist" mode where you only score points if you make a pair or better in all 12 hands (across, down, and diagonal), which takes some careful play and a bit of luck.

My personal best score for some time was 44, though I recently managed a 57 when the stars aligned.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #wobblepaint-6 | 2020-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Wobblepaint started as a secret cartridge in my 2019 Advent Calendar entry, but I think it's time for a proper release! This version has some extra controls and nicer, less crinkly wobble.

Instructions

Your brush has a size, colour, pattern and shape that can be adjusted separately. There are 4 presets you can select and modify using keyboard shortcuts, or by clicking and dragging the top menu bar down to reveal a palette of attributes.

Instructions

CTRL-Z, CTRL-Y (or S,F) to undo/redo
CTRL-C, CTRL-V to copy and paste between doodles

[ Continue Reading.. ]

71 comments

Cart #orbitrarypld-0 | 2020-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A revised version of my entry to Ludum Dare 47.
Added some music, effects, and other things.

2 comments

Cart #srs1_0-2 | 2020-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a compact and efficient system that enables recoloring of sprite graphics. For just 76 tokens, plus any function calls and data strings, you can easily change the color palettes of level tiles or characters based on an arbitrary number of conditions, and even animate them using color cycling. These kinds of techniques were used extensively in games for consoles like the NES to increase graphical variety while conserving memory space. The cart explains the syntax of the data strings and includes a simple demo of what the system can do.

3 comments

Cart #timestables-0 | 2020-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A representation of times tables drawn on a circle, animating through the progression of times tables starting at 2. The structures that exist intrinsically within the generated images are hypnotic.

Here is a youtube video that explains in detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbuKbxJsk8

I wrote a c++ version awhile ago you can see here: https://github.com/bitwitch/times-tables

2 comments

Cart #atc1-0 | 2020-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a little exercise in code optimization, a fully-functional analog clock in just 196 characters. I'm thinking I might add some features in the future while still keeping it under the 280-character limit, but for now it works just fine.

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->