BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hi, i just bought Pico-8 and made it so that i use a raspberry Pi 3 as a dedicated Pico-8 computer/console.
I am booting directly to Pico-8 when i turn on my Pi, everything works great except i can't manage .p8 files like deleting unused files etc.

I do know where the files are usually located when you run Pico-8 from the desktop. But it looks like when booting directly to pico-8 and not the desktop, the files are not at the same location.

Does anyone knows what i am doing wrong? I already know and tested using pico-8 from the desktop in Pi OS and it all works fine and files are saved in the CARTS folder, but if i am running Pico-8 directly booting in it it's like the files are not saved where they should.

Can someone help me make it so that i can still use Pico-8 directly from boot and still have access to the .p8 files on desktop if i need to delete .p8 files?

I probably did not post this where it should but had no idea where to ask for help

Thank you!

1 comment

So this will by my introduction. hello community. I need your help.
so the game I created is a platforming game. for which I designed a external level editor in c++.
my theory is. I can really only fit one level into the pico 8 map editor.
but if I parse my map data as a string, despite adding a few extra thousand lines of code to my file, I will at least have a streamlined way to create and import levels. so far the level editor works great. I tell it how big I want the map and then once I have placed all my tiles I can save it to a text which just writes the x, y position and a type variable. 3 variables in total. so my output file ends up looking something like this

x y t
0 8 0
1 8 0
3 8 0
2 8 0
4 8 0
6 9 0
7 10 0
9 12 0
11 9 3
13 8 0
15 8 0
17 7 0
18 6 0

there has GOT to be a way to parse this data. in regular lua it would be something like

platforms={}
function _makeplatform(x,y,t)
pf.t=t
pf.x=x 

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=81948#p)
15 comments

Cart #hemukewetu-1 | 2020-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #omgtheberg-5 | 2020-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After many years of enjoying games, I finally got around to giving something back. Enjoy!

8 comments

Cart #bakozihide-0 | 2020-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first project in PICO-8! I tried to make an easily customizable platformer base. I've commented all my code for easier use.

FEATURES:

player

variable jump height (jump_h and jump_float_max and jump_float)
supports double/triple etc. jumps (jump_max)
can jump on frames after leaving ground (coyote_max)
can register jump on frames just before hitting ground (jump_f_max)
custom animation states (add_s("custom state"))

camera

smooth movement (easing)
custom limits (bounds)
player movement "deadzone" (mx)

anything in (parentheses) are the name of the corresponding field in the object.

I hope someone finds this useful!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #clipping128-0 | 2020-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls: Arrow Keys, ('z' or 'x' to select on the Menu)

Escape an unseen monster. The more it closes in, the less you can see.

How far can you get?

If you like this game, please consider checking out my comics and other works: linktr.ee/alicepow.

2 comments

Cart #museum-5 | 2022-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

welcome to the museum!
we need people to create:
16x16 artworks (preferably with descriptions),
characters (one default 8x8 sprite, one shadowed sprite),
sign texts (use | for newline),
and self contained (preferably) one function programs that:
-avoid camera and clip
-use a 64*64 area
-use only arrow keys (or no keys)
-use a return with a 1-2 line display text (|=newline) (include your credits)
-and no (or maybe 1-3) sprites

versions:

Cart #museum-4 | 2020-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #museum-3 | 2020-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #museum-2 | 2020-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #museum-1 | 2020-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #museum-0 | 2020-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

Cart #tojifahoyu-0 | 2020-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #marvinsgarden-0 | 2020-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Goal
Protect Marvin's Garden from the weed infestation while moving to the beat and avoiding dangerous pests.

Controls
Move with arrow keys. Hold Z and press an arrow key to spray in that direction.

Tips

• Ammo refills only spawn when there are less than four in the garden, so be sure to collect them to allow more to spawn.
  • Spiders take two hits to kill, but you can safely stun the from afar with your spray and walk up for the finishing blow.
  • In Speedrun mode, it can be wise to let some weeds spread to maximize your potential score gain, but don't get too greedy or you'll get overrun!

This game was made for GBJAM 8, with the restriction of having a 4-color palette. It was inspired by Crypt of the Necrodancer in its rhythm-tied movement. This is my first published game, so I'm looking forward to your feedback!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #tictactoe-0 | 2020-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I recently picked up PICO-8, and decided to just dive into the deep end and make Tic-Tac-Toe instead of blindly following a tutorial. Here it is!

2 comments

Cart #watertest-0 | 2020-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
Z changes modes between drawing height for tiles, and simulating the water

X when pressed or released, toggles the control scheme.

In Draw mode, holding X allows you to change tile heights with the UP and DOWN arrows.
In Sim mode, you control the Log object with the arrows, but holding X allows you to change the water's base height.

The log will float up to meet the water level or fall with it. The log hasn't been programmed to interact with the tiles at the moment.
This whole thing is just a test to show how a more 2.5D feel could be achieved through using a mask to determine the height values in an image and using that to determine where to draw water.

0 comments

Cart #jack_itdt-2 | 2020-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

An evil wizard turned a young boy called Jack into a toy and cursed him to endlessly wander the floors of a dark tower.
Will Jack find a way to lift the curse and escape from the prison?

Control

The character moves on its own.
Press "Up" to make Jack jump
Press "X" to read hints

As the game progresses, Jack will gain new skills:

• First skill - hold "Up" to perform a wall jump
  • Second skill - hold "Down" to crouch
  • Last skill - press "Left" or "Right" to dash

What's next?

Pico-8 is a great game making platform but it has its limitations. So the next step would be converting the game into Unity engine. Then we plan to:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

"Imprisoned beneath the earth...only your wit, guile and a plasma pistol for company. However will you escape?"

Propulsion

25 levels of mind-bending physics-puzzle-platforming fun!

Cart #propulsion_1_0_0-0 | 2020-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Source

This is actually a remake of a Flash game I made back in 2011-2012, which you can play here. I even remade the original music in glorious 4-channel chiptune (I got the original music from the Newgrounds Audio Portal and it's since been deleted. Wish I could find the original artist!)

I made a post before about

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #stasysroguev0_1-0 | 2020-09-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Roguelike like Porklike

Hey fellas,
this is my first proper Pico-8 thing I am working on. I tried following LazyDevs tutorial on Porklike a bit but I also took care of a lot of stuff myself. I tried implementing my own FX and animation system to use in future projects and similar stuff like tile-based path-finding and nice graphics.

Also I would love to hear what you guys think of the code in general, eg where I could improve performance or save some tokens AND what your opinion is on possible gameplay features in the future.

Cheers,
Stasys

2 comments

Cart #grapplicious-0 | 2020-09-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A celeste mod, left click to shoot grapple and right click to ungrapple

3 comments

I’ve been building a kind of music-machine-cart to help new Pico-8 users get a head start in composing their own music.

[sfx]

Using this machine, I composed the above snippet in about 5mins using mostly finger wiggling and button mashing. Here's a tutorial on how to use it:

Feedback is appreciated! Some questions to consider:

• Is this a good/easier way to start a music composition (particularly for users with minimal music experience)?
  • Do you like the variation in custom instruments (drums, melody, bass)?
  • How would you improve this process?
  • Is there a better name for this besides “Music Machine?”

Download the cart here to try it (it's not playable)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

@zep

Why does clicking the Forum link in the site ribbon always take me to the BBS > PICO-8 > Cartridges subforum?

I feel like it ought to be taking me to the BBS > PICO-8 root forum.

Even if your intent is to lead new users to the Cartridges subforum so they know it exists, it should really only do that from outside of the forum itself. Once I'm actually in the forum it feels very off to click Forum and end up with nothing but carts instead of general PICO-8 discussions. I keep doing this intuitively to return to the root forum, and then I remember I have to click the penultimate breadcrumb instead of the intuitive Forum link.

0 comments

Working in Pico-8 is pure delight. I think it would be even nicer if we had the option to set Pico-8 to play a brief sound analogous to a floppy disk drive when loading a program/cart.

Completely superfluous, but I would be very glad to have this option built in (even if it weren't the default and I had to enable it through a config file or menu).

What do you think?

9 comments

Cart #mines420_vb1-0 | 2020-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's my first attempt at a Pico-8 game. Still largely a work in progress.

The field generation is somewhat bugged. So is the win scenario.

3 comments

Unfair grounds

Made in Chile

Is this the first pico 8 game with heavy metal soundtrack?

Cart #unfairgrounds-0 | 2020-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Thanks for visiting, I worked a lot on this project. Since I didn't know anything about gaming coding I decided to make a simple game and focus on art style and music which is my thing (I believe). Hope you enjoy it!,and if you did, don't forget to check my social media

This game was made with the Collide demo cartridge, also the code is an absolute mess

spotify

Instagram

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->