Cart #quantumbullshit-1 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a tiny tweetcart!
188 chars of pixelated punch~

Here it is on twitter, if you want more ♥
https://twitter.com/k10x10x10/status/1297998450408267782

0 comments

Cart #picotron-1 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

WARNING!

Stage 21 contains full-screen strobe effects.

About

Pico-Tron is my second Pico-8 game, and is an homage to the arcade classic Robotron, with a few extra twists added. Battle your way through 21 stages of chaos and destroy the evil genius Eugene!

Controls

Press to move your super destruction robot around the screen. Tap to rotate shot anti-clockwise, tap to rotate shot clockwise.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #lilythespiderbarber-0 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a submission for the 2020 Extra Credits Game Jam (Take Care)

WARNING: IN THE EVENT OF AN ERROR MESSAGE: RESTART THE PAGE

Code, Design, & art: SmallTestAcount (AKA Pixel Bytes, Alexa Marx)

Music (unused): WindmillsWithWIFI

Controls:

Suggested: Practice with controls before starting first round!

🖱 Mouse: Control Lily's direction.

Start click: Start making a web (only works when lily is green)

Release Click: Finish making web (only work when lily is green)

(z): Start first round / Submit web

(x): About (only on home page)

who is lily?
l𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘳
𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘩𝘳𝘺𝘴𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧
𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴, 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘱 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮
𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭
𝘣𝘶𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴

why does this fit the theme?
"t𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦" 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺
𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴, 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘦,
l𝘪𝘭𝘺 {𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦} 𝘰𝘧 𝘩𝘦𝘳
𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴.

Extra Challenges:

Extra historian: The visual reference the Extra History series on Non-Euclidean geometry by rendering a spherical field

The Game "Lily the Spider Barber" does not connect to the internet and tracks no data outside the cart.

1 comment

Cart #tailbone-0 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to play

Press x to jump

Press x again to slam

Hold x for more hangtime before a slam

Chain slams to max out the combo bar

About

This is inspired by the no internet dinosaur runner game in the Chrome browser, with a slight Tony Hawk's Pro Skater twist. Instead of avoiding the cactuses, the goal is to skate and destroy. So you keep your combo alive by staying off the ground, and every time you max out the combo bar you get a score bonus and the difficulty ratchets up. Things become quite frantic in the higher levels with the amount of meteors and lava you have to dodge.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Greetings Piconaughts! Today I present my first completed game for the Pico-8. It is a simple bubble pop matching game: Picopop 199X. It offers the ability to customize the starting field height, clustering of similar colours, colours used, if diagonal bubbles will pop, the length of your aim line, and the frequency of ~wildcard balls~. Overall, this should offer the casual gamer hours of enjoyment at their level of skill, whatever it may be. It is pretty simple and intuitive, you'll quickly be cutting swaths through the field. To score a hit, you need to directly impact a given bubble, so be wary of sliding in between bubbles you intend to hit! Overall, I spent about 4 hours putting this together (up all night, what else to do?), and I'm sure it could use further polish.

Enjoy!

Cart #picopop-2 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #yakyuza-1 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #jipozisuyo-0 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A super simple game to kickstart the engines.

0 comments

Cart #gayrefuto-0 | 2020-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to the world of Dragmania!
Beware your rivals, defeat them in a race while dodging an onslaught of bullets and oil pits
Seek salvation in the boosts and shields across the track

All feedback and criticism welcome! Thank you for trying our game

Art by: colin malone aka FlyingChair www.colinmalone.com

0 comments

Cart #cursed_petri-0 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I stumbled upon this very odd behaviour while making this tweetcart :
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=39326

After loosing some sleep over why a pixel than can randomly go in any of the 4 direction always build staircases, here is what the poor souls of the #help channel on the pico8 discord server and I have found out :

• When trying to have randomly one of these results :
    dx=0 dy=1
    dx=0 dy=-1
    dx=1 dy=0
    dx=-1 dy=0

I wrote this :

dx=rnd({-1,1}) dy=0
-- %50 chance to swap them
if(rnd({true,false})) then dy=dx dx=0 end

The behaviour disappears if I use any other method of achieving this result

• HOWEVER, the distribution of dx and dy with this method appears to really be random

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #petri-0 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Finally took the time to make a #tweetcart of this cute effect I found!
It makes me think of bacteria on a Petri dish c:
Credit to @Naxane_ on the #pico8 discord server for the help fixing a particularly /w e i r d/ bug with rnd() on tables, and for golfing it into a tweet!

0 comments

Cart #noggins_tweet-0 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a "demake" loosely based off an old flash game called "Noggins". It's my first playable tweetcart and was a nice challenge for dipping my feet into making tweetcarts :)

Use the arrow keys to resize your box to fit the green box before the red one reaches it

x=0y=0m=200t=1s=.5q=-64b=btn
f=flr
a=abs
r=rect::_::cls()
if(t==1)w=f(rnd(64))h=f(rnd(64))
if(t<m and f(a(x))==a(w) and f(a(y))==a(h))t=0
t+=1camera(q,q)
if(b(0))x-=s
if(b(1))x+=s
if(b(2))y-=s
if(b(3))y+=s
r(-w,-h,w,h,3)r(-x,-y,x,y,7)i=w*(t/m)o=h*(t/m)r(-i,-o,i,o,8)flip()goto _
0 comments

Cart #electrocardioground-0 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Keep the beat alive.

Instructions:

Up or X: Raise right beat
Down or Z: Raise left beat

Avoid crashes.
Avoid depleting the beats.

Made for LOWREZJAM 2020.

0 comments

Have you ever wanted to use numbers that were bigger or smaller than the range you're given in PICO-8? Perhaps you want some more digits of precision for the fractional part of your numbers. Or maybe you're interested in doing math in a severely inefficient way...

Introducing, the Decimal Floating Point library for PICO-8!

(This example cart calculates the value of pi in all three "datatypes", using Viète's formula.)

Wait, what? Doesn't Lua have floating point already?

Not PICO-8's Lua. It actually uses 16.16 fixed point numbers. Because of this lack of floating-point numbers on PICO-8, I decided to make this library to fill that void (not that anyone asked it to be filled, but still).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #mouse_shooter_thing-0 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

So I need help with 4 things.

1. Do player/ enemy collision with rocks

2. Make enemies at random spots

3. Make enemies move once toward the player every move

4. Make a random map out of 8 maps

Plz comment on how to do stuff and please make it simple for me. I dont care about tokens

2 comments

Road to ECS

Intro

This is about teaching myself Entity-Component-System (ECS) pattern. My current goal is to implement a few basic features one by one to build a code snippet library, starting from just drawing things on screen. Code will be in my GitHub/road-to-ecs and also as cartridges in this blog thread.

Some personal background: [hidden]I'm a software engineer, professional coding background is a bit of data comms in C and lot of Java starting from 1.4, some Android and mostly Java EE for enterprise systems with web fronts. For the last 5 or so years I haven't really coded except shell or other script/configuration languages for automating configuration management, CI/CD and so on (nowadays they call it devops).

I've been interested in PICO-8 for some time, but finally got it as a part of the great itch.io Black Lives Matter bundle. To me gamedev is previously unknown territory and it's fun to learn how games differ from other applications.

Also playing around with PICO-8 on my summer vacation revealed how much brain capacity my dayjob takes. On work days there is no chance that I could do anything productive with PICO in the evening. Scary.

I'm used to (and like) working within frameworks. I got a bit of blank paper syndrome with PICO-8 initially :) First I tried to apply traditional OOP but it didn't feel like a good fit for games. Browsing this BBS I found about ECS and it feels like a better fit for game applications. Now I just have to bend my mindset to it!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #motu-6 | 2021-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The battle for Eternia is in your hands!

Side with He-Man and his allies or Skeletor and his minions in this new take on the classic Barbarian sword fighting game.

Battle 8 levels against increasingly difficult foes or play against a friend. You have the power!

This Pico-8 cart is bursting with the Power of Grayskull, featuring:

• 16 Characters
  • 16 combat moves
  • 4 stages
  • 8 difficulty levels
  • 3 game modes
  • A kickass soundtrack

Update 1.6 - 2021/08/15

-fixed crash in "vs cpu" select screen after credits cycle (Introduced in v1.5)

Update 1.5 - 2021/03/01

code optimization reclaimed over 110 tokes so:

-fixed an AI bug that made flying overhead chop overpowered with some opponent levels, now cpu reacts more like original code

[ Continue Reading.. ]

29 comments

Cart #tempo-0 | 2020-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

tempO

Play as a marble that can slow time and shatter other marbles by charging into them. Go for a highscore across 3 different difficulties, collect power-ups, and try to survive for as long as you can!

How To Play

Use Arrow Keys/D-Pad to roll your marble around the map. Hold Z/C/🅾️ to slow time and charge your marble in the direction you're holding. Release to send your marble flying in that direction. While your marble has a flaming trail, it will shatter anything it touches. Shattering other marbles has a chance to drop power-ups (The higher the combo, the higher the chance) and large marbles have a greater chance of dropping power-ups. Hearts will heal your marble by one heart, Invincibility will allow you to shatter marbles without charging, and x2 Charge makes your charge shots x2 faster while also instantly shattering large marbles. Have fun!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hi, i'm working on a project with this function;

function amount_living_neighbours(x, y, board)
    local res = 0
    for i= -1, 1 do 
        for j = -1,1 do
            if i == 0 and j == 0 then goto continue end
            if x+i >= 0 and x+i <= 127 and y+j >= 0 and y+j <= 127 then
                if board[x+i][y+j] == white then
                    res += 1
                end
            end
            ::continue::
        end
    end
    return res
end

and the interpreter tells me that i'm attempting to index a field ? in the line "if board[x+i][y+j] == white then " i.e it's null. Should'nt lua interpret it as a parameter and not as a nil? i'm not acquantained to the language and seems pretty nasty to use globals with this code.

5 comments

Hokori 0.2a

Cart #hokori-5 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

And she keeps truckin' with these updates!

Now features a 2x2 screen level to jump around in! Also added semi-solid platforms because I'm bad at setting priorites! HOORAY!
Also first attempts at a somewhat decent text-display implementation (looks good, token efficent, what more would you want?)
For now the hearts are just FAKE (like the friendships of celebrities)- But this what the HUD will more or less look like (unless I add a broom-meter, but idk if that'd be fun, might be!)

Update Notes:

0.0a

• you can jump
  • fancy animations and working map colission (yay)

0.1a

• added broom float
  • slightly edited level
  • crawl jump added
  • prettier debug HUD
  • M O O N

0.2a

• 4 times larger level
  • moving camera (wip)
  • hilarious and relatable messages to give you big funny and teach the game
  • map colission simplified (saved tokens and allowed inclusion of semi solid platforms)
  • P A R A L L A X - M O O N

public progress of next version:

• fixed wrong sprite showing for one frame when turning rightwards whilst floating

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->