BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #boomby-2 | 2020-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Boomby is a special kind of bomb that never stops exploding. Help him out by finding the nearest pool of water as soon as possible, but not without collecting some coin on the way there.

How to Play:

• Boomby explodes (aka: jumps) every 2 seconds. Keep track of the timebar at the bottom of the screen, time your moves right.
  • There are multiple routes to the pool, keep exploring if you get stuck or frustrated at a section of the map.
  • Trampolines are a tricky, patience pays off. Try not to rush out of the first explosion after touching one. After the first explosion, the bounce rhythm balances out.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #sifuzasumu-6 | 2020-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

STORE GALORE

Manage your very own tiny shop! Meet new people and sell them stuff! Move around furniture! Listen to the best shop music! And pay off your giant loan!

Controls

• ⬆️⬇️ ⬅️➡️(Arrow keys) to move and interact with objects
  • Circle button (Z or C on keyboard) to cycle through what your carrying
  • Hold X and a Direction to grab furniture or decline customers

Latest Changes

• Created a save system.
    • Added a menuitem to save game.
    • Added a menuitem to restart the day.
    • Added the option to restart the day from the lose screen.
    • Fixed loan payments going into the negative.
    • Note there is a 12 item save limit for the player.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #vignette-1 | 2020-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple vignette fade effect (like on loony tunes cartoons, that circular fade in/out).

Use X to open the vignette, Z to close it.
Arrow keys move the smiley face.

Can also be used to create a fake flashlight effect.

The code is very simple and commented, so it can be easily modified/repurposed.
The vignette works with a sprite that you can customize (to create other shapes).
Mine uses 4 sprite slots on the sprite sheet, but you could easily make it work with only one if you really need to save sprites. Just remember to also customize the draw_vignette function to make it work with different sized sprites.

7 comments

Cart #yolo_solo-1 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

YOLO SOLO

Yolo Solo is a tiny, climbing-inspired puzzle platformer in just 64x64 res.

How to play!

Jump from hold to hold to ascend the rock face and achieve ultimate sendiness. Press X to jump and hold O to grab on to handholds. You'll need to let go before you can jump again!

Controls:

D-pad (Arrows on keyboard) - directional movement
O (Z or C on keyboard) - jump
X (X on keyboard) - hold on

Types of holds:

Beware the crimp! Holding on to these for too long will drain your stamina.

Enjoy a luxurious climbing experience on the highways of the rock face.

These slippery slopers will require chalk in order to grab on!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #yolo_solo-1 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

YOLO SOLO

Yolo Solo is a tiny, climbing-inspired puzzle platformer in just 64x64 res.

How to play!

Jump from hold to hold to ascend the rock face and achieve ultimate sendiness. Press X to jump and hold O to grab on to handholds. You'll need to let go before you can jump again!

Controls:

D-pad (Arrows on keyboard) - directional movement
O (Z or C on keyboard) - jump
X (X on keyboard) - hold on

Types of holds:

Beware the crimp! Holding on to these for too long will drain your stamina.

Enjoy a luxurious climbing experience on the highways of the rock face.

These slippery slopers will require chalk in order to grab on!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #sporeball_mamushi1-1 | 2020-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mamushi is a snake game where any pickups you collect become hazards you need to avoid. this is a beta - more things will certainly be coming.

constructive criticism is very much appreciated.

changelog:

revision 1

• fixed a bug that made hazards stop spawning if you started a second or further round

revision 0

• initial release
0 comments

Cart #razaferogi-0 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

first thing i posted!
Have fun listening!

1 comment

Hi,
I created this simple multilayer parallax scrolling demo just for fun and to see what I can achieve without too much efford. Enjoy!

Cart #parallax_demo-0 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #googroker_roundworm-0 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A classic game of Snake, featuring a level-up system and polar coordinates.

3 comments

Cart #fantasytactics-10 | 2020-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So LOWREZJAM 2020 comes to an end... I finally submitted a playable project but with a lot of unfinished features. For a start there is no AI, In the remaining time I would not have been able to add a proper "smart" AI so I prefered to leave the game as 2p game only (or for those wanting to challenge themselves balttle yourself!). Sound is totally missing... I will be welcoming sfx and track contributions... that area is not my best. You can check it also in it's itch.io page

Future plans

At this resolution (mode 3, 64x64) and with the constraints in time for the JAM I "abandoned" that cart and started focusing on rewriting things on a 128x128 more organized cart (keeping all the good things in this one) so expect to keep hearing from Fantasy Tactics HD ;)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #hiragana-4 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ace Hiragana v1

Study tool for learning how to read and write the 46 basic hiragana characters of the Japanese writing system

The study tool centers around the concept of a deck of cards. You start out with five kana cards in your reading and writing decks: A, I, U, E, and O. You can add or remove cards from your reading and writing decks as you progress. Your progress with each card can be viewed in the EDIT READ DECK and EDIT WRITE DECK screens. When you are ready to study, choose PRACTICE READING or PRACTICE WRITING. The cart does not check your work automatically, and instead it is up to you while studying to follow the instructions and be honest about your attempts. The cart will remember your last 10 attempts with each card and your progress bar will fill as you get closer to having 10 successful reads out of 10 or 10 successful writes out of 10.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #jugipojedu-3 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So this is just taking the Creating a Pseudo 3D Racer tutorial that Mot made and trying to work ahead on my own, more or less.

0 comments

Cart #jitihidohi-0 | 2020-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #tribute-1 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tribute is a remake of my first video game, which looked like this:

Tribute is a simple puzzle game in which you plan out your moves before you execute them. It was inspired by a game called Lith.

I feel like I could have pushed this game further, especially in the quantity of levels, but I'm feeling quite tired honestly. That, and I wanted to release the game before school started.

Itch.io mirror: https://teridax.itch.io/tribute

Revision 1: Fixed a crash when an emitter's laser had a length of 0 (caused by obstruction right next to it/achievable on level 9)

0 comments

Cart #platformer_demo-0 | 2020-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a very basic demo of a platform game. I was struggling with slopes etc, until I had this idea. It works quite well, so I wanted to share it with you.

Whereever the player is, the program looks for the first pixel directly under it, starting from the head. It looks directly in the spritesheet. If the player is falling down, its y-value cannot get below the floor level.

This works really well for the slopes, but sometimes if you jumped and your head peeped over a platform, the player teleported to the platform above. I fixed this by checking from the player's feet, when jumping or falling.

Bye,
Kim

0 comments

As more of a music tracker fan who just does covers, I posted my first (music cover) cart in the BBS just days ago which already got some praise from some members, thus marking a proper beginning of my presence. I can't properly program games for the time being but i already figured out how to post sfx embeds today, quite a great chance for me to post music without having to upload carts with boring text printed screens.

Yesterday i finished renditions of two music tracks from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (which i have never played but i did hear of Metal Gear a lot of times, yet i might eventually try the series when i will get the chance to get a Playstation Now subscription AND a better internet connection? honestly i haven't tried playstation now's cloud streaming.) which were done around a few hours for each one. I was able to complete Night Fall with every pattern but Theme of Solid Snake couldn't be done with every pattern due to SFX slots as when i went on to make the last patterns with reduced speed from the rest of the others (every pattern is around 6 SPD except the last ones are on 12 SPD, but i think i've still managed to make it). Also due to music length (like my Gunstar Heroes cover that unfortunately suffered the same fate as my recent cover) that covered up quickly with 6 SPD, Theme of Solid Snake is overall shorter in the PICO-8 version.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

assert, ipairs, and next appear to exist as in stock Lua, but the manual doesn't mention them (outside of the changelog). It does mention every other supported Lua built-in, so this omission makes it harder to gauge what exactly is still exposed (especially without access to _G). Especially odd since the coroutine documentation mentions wrapping coresume inside assert.

Also, the select builtin is documented (indirectly, under Function Arguments), but doesn't seem to exist! At least not in 0.2.0h.

2 comments

I looked back when i purchased PICO-8 and i am surprised that i had it since Christmas 2015, and it has been quite 4.7 years since i had it around just to play a lot of games. Having it see evolve i was impressed for it to have reached a stage where it improved the interface (and specially the music interface which included sound effect instruments.). The music back when it was released wasn't too awesome as it sounded but now it seemed like the possibilies are enhanced.

By the way, doesn't PICO-8 have plans to expand their system capabilities to include new major features such as proper sampling, more music channels, etc. (likely inspired from the NES' japanese expansion chips which contained extra audio channels, a popular example being the VRC6 which included two pulse channels with a larger set of squares and a Sawtooth channel) even if actually they might be impossible. Probably since we've come to this point there's hardly anything i can think that would be needed, but Pico-8 is quite on the right track and ready to have something amazing done on it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I have always wanted to get into programming, at least to some extent, but never really got into it. It always felt so daunting, and I didn't think I had a "programmer's mind". That is, until recently, when my brother showed me PICO-8 and I was sold. I grew up in the 80s/90s, so the aesthetics and concept of PICO-8 obviously appealed a lot to me! It kind of felt less scary to dive into this.

I've also always been fascinated by the demoscene and the amazing demos that have been made throughout the years. The tweetcarts of recent times are also incredible.

Anyways, this thread is intended to sort of be a personal PICO-diary of sorts, where i intend to post my (very) basic concepts and ideas as I learn to crawl. I am very much a newbie at this, so don't expect crazy things. It's going to be messy :D

Cheers

19 comments

just copy of Celeste (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145) where buttons for UP and DOWN are switched.
just for the purpose of playing on iPad with Xbox One controller, where the buttons are switched natively (don't know why, this is easiest workaround i can think)

Cart #kfndate-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->