BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #spaghettiforever-2 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls: arrows to grate, X to move to next screen (and skip Hollywood production values intro cinematic)

Hello!

This is my entry for the #ToyBoxJam! The idea is, you're given a set of sprites/sounds/music/code example and you have to make a game out of them. There's a lot of stuff, from characters to items, weapons, map stuff and visual effect. I decided to make cheese.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #azurefunctions_0-1 | 2020-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all, I just started with PICO-8 a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying myself a lot with this platform. I'm creating a simple game to collect items. The theme is work related (Azure Functions) so it's more of a gimmick than an actual game to achieve a goal. I do plan to put more work into this and make it more exciting. This is my version of an 'Hello World' game :).

4 comments

Cart #sfxtelm-1 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICO-8 Telmin!

CONTROLLS

• mouse button: PLAY SFX
  • Z / X : Change waveform(0~7) and custom instruments(8~15)
  • mouse wheel : Change SFX Duration

old version

Cart #sfxtelm-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLLS

• mouse button: PLAY SFX
  • LEFT/RIGHT : Change waveform(0~7) and custom instruments(8~15)

0 comments

Cart #pajanebunu-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My very first cart

The original code is from Game Developement with Pico 8 zine - pg 52, 53. I am not smart enough to create this from scratch, just tweeked it a bit.

If I can figure out how to update a cart I'll add controllers eventually.

This experience makes me really thankful for HTML and everything else I dont have to write from scratch.

To do

• color selector
  • controllers
  • randomize button
  • cursor
  • tiles?
  • with collistions?????????
2 comments

fmc
by dw817
Cart #fmc-0 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, type:

load #fmc

Pico-8 has the ability of setting any of 8-flags for a single tile or sprite from the spritesheet.

For instance, if you created a sprite which was the very first, number 0, and turned on flags 1 and 2, then if you used FGET(0) you would get back 3 as each flag counts as a power of 2, binary.

So this program is pretty powerful what it does.

It will return ALL collisions of a sprite around objects and return their flags. For instance in this example you can easily cross over tiles that have no flags set or the first flag is set (the shazy tiles), but it will not let you cross any tiles that have the 2nd or higher flags set, a wall.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #womaporeba-0 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Uhh. Mix Peggle and Nethack and you have Foozle Quest. It's not done and the code is a couple of years old but I am trying to get back into dev in my spare time. I've narrowed it down to doing a Roguelike in Rust (thanks Bracket!) or jumping back on to PICO-8 games. Help me decide.

Thanks for reading! :)

5 comments

Cart #hetasezufu-0 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my take on Threes in a similar style to that of my 2048.

2 comments

(Applies to verison 0.1.12d rcsd)

1. Lua's 'tostring' function is exposed now. It converts things to strings differently than tostr, including printing a table's address in memory.

2. After doing "install_demos()" or "install_games()", something seems to go majorly wrong with pico-8. All nils become... nulls?!
    You can see this by trying to print a non-existing global/table value which would normally print [nil], but now prints [(null)].
    What is the type of a null? It's a null, too! (No, not the string "null" - but a null object itself)
    (It's clearly not a legal lua value)

You can see the above oddities via my https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36381 cart, if you'd like.

0 comments

Cart #spezkhe-1 | 2019-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I fixed all of the bugs that were present in v0.1 and added a title screen and sound effects.
Gameplay should be identical to the original. Let me know if this is not the case.
I am going to put this project aside for now, so this will be the last version for a while.

2 comments

function very_tiny_silly_but_also_hey_WTF_rant()

Could the built-in demo variable names be any less helpful for n00bs? From demos/hello:

for i=1,11 do
  for j0=0,7 do
  j = 7-j0
  col = 7+j
  t1 = t + i*4 - j*2
  x = cos(t0)*5
  y = 38 + j + cos(t1/50)*5
  pal(7,col)
  spr(16+i, 8+i*8 + x, y)
  end
 end

What does j0 mean? jack0ff? What about j for that matter? I see col, which could mean column, but then I would expect row or something similar for a multi-dimension loop. t1? The t-1000 terminator? Bah! Humbug!

There's a ton of greatly helpful advice in the pico zines and in the forums here, but it just strikes me as frustrating to show n00bs the hello world demo and it just purposely uses these incredibly unhelpful variable names. I've always been taught that function names and variable names should be self explanatory as to their purpose for ease of code reading, particularly in an example meant to demonstrate program functionality.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #pico_repl-35 | 2023-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What's this?

A REPL (Read-Eval-Print Loop) for pico-8, in pico-8!

Supports executing all lua & pico-8 statements. (if statements, for loops, functions - you name it)

While my code does its own parsing and execution of the statements, any functions you call are the real pico-8 functions.

Code can be typed in, pasted in, or dropped in from .lua files.

Alternatively, carts saved in .p8.rom format (save mycart.p8.rom in pico-8) can be dropped to the REPL to automatically run them.

What can I do with it?

Type expressions like 1+3/5 or sqrt(-2) to see the expected results. (Well - perhaps unexpected to some in the case of the sqrt)

Type statements or programs like the one below to do whatever you wish. (That one prints all global functions)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

32 comments

I am having difficulty connecting to the BBS from SPLORE to view any category of carts. There are some that I have loaded previously, but now when I select "update" or try to search, I get a loading spinner for a long while followed by a popup message stating "TIMEOUT". I have a working internet connection on both computers that I've tried this with. Is there something else that I should try to get this working? Is there a log file that I can turn to for clues?

Thank you for the help!

2 comments

I was playing around with the slide effect on the volume for white noise and I realized that there was an awful lot of sputtering while it would ramp up the volume, but not while ramping down. It sounded as if maybe the waveform was being doubled in amplitude and thus clipping, or maybe something was messing up the randomizer. I really don't know. That's for @zep to figure out.

Here's a repro case, seems to work the same on the BBS as it did in the executable.

Pretty sure it's not local to my machine's audio hardware, but I'd appreciate others trying it and saying whether or not they hear the same issue.

Edit: Yeah, just checked out this post on my phone, it does the same thing there too. Definitely a bug.

Cart #buwihinuye-0 | 2019-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

8 comments

I have a controller connected to my laptop. To configure pico-8 for it, I did : launch Gamepad Tool > Copy Mapping String > append string to sdl_controllers.txt > relaunch pico-8. This works well.

Now, I would like to use the controller's shoulder buttons as replacements for the d-pad's dpleft (btn 0) and dpright (btn 1), respectively. Can this be done at all? Note that this is not for exported (to html) games but rather to those launched from the pico-8 console.

EDIT:
To be clear, I'd like to control a pico-8 game using a gamepad's shoulder buttons.

EDIT2:
GamepadTool mapping string, as entered in sdl_controllers.txt is this:
03000000bd12000015d0000000010000,Tomee SNES USB Controller,a:b2,b:b1,back:b8,dpdown:+a1,dpleft:-a0,dpright:+a0,dpup:-a1,leftshoulder:b4,rightshoulder:b5,start:b9,x:b3,y:b0,platform:Mac OS X,

3 comments

Cart #shuying_ha-0 | 2019-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #sqrs_in_sqrs_1-2 | 2019-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to use

Draw pictures by splitting and merging the squares.

This icon splits a square into four smaller ones:

This icon merges four squares of the same size into a bigger one:

Operation

Arrow keys to move the cursor.
Z to click an icon.

Press X to toggle mouse devkit for easier handling of the cursor. (Not on by default so that this cart can be used in a browser.)

1 comment

cs
by dw817
Cart #cs-1 | 2019-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, type in immediate mode:

load #cs

Methods of drawing snow have come a long way, haven't they ?

If there's one feature of Pico-8 I have learned about and enjoyed over the years are the two commands ADD and DEL.

With them you can add and delete elements inside an array without having to plug them up with other data or manually skip over them by setting a flag later.

This can especially be seen in my latest offering, "Component Snow."

And it does follow a set of rules.

1. The snow falls vertically.
  2. If it is obstructed, that is there is snow directly beneath it, a comparison is made.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #myrrhs_edge-3 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

MYRRH'S EDGE

You are BALTHAZAR, King of Tarse and Egypt! You are one of the Three Kings mythically following the North Star to find that baby Jesus! BUT you’ve woken up late -- you were supposed to be at the manger hours ago! On top of that you’ve forgotten your gift of Myrrh you were supposed to bring! (Maybe you can pick some up on the way?)

Parkour your way across Bethlehem, avoiding aggressive Bethlehem guards, picking up 50 myrrh to fill your gift box, and get to the barn's manger as fast as you can!

MYRRH’S EDGE: It’s a holiday parkour speedrun challenge!

Who can get:
--fastest to manger with 50 myrrh? (World Record So Far: 38.0 Crayonatee!)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

24 comments

Cart #invaders09-0 | 2019-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

63 modes, fire one bullet at a time. What could be more classic than space invaders on the Atari 2600/VCS.

This is how I remember it, not necessarily how it really was!

1 comment

Cart #aps-6 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

This is my cartridge for the 2019 Advent Calendar. It is a simple toy/game with no secret endings at all. Nope.

There are 26 (or more! wink wink) carts available now, and you can get the full experience by playing from @enargy's main cart. It is a truly joyful collection!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->