BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Cart #moziguname-0 | 2019-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is aggressive blaster snata guy dude (blood involved)

3 comments

Cart #flappy-0 | 2019-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

here is a cart with some extra explaination in the code for my upcomming tutorial video

1 comment

Cart #pico_dictator101-0 | 2019-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ok, here's the bug fixed version 1.01 of Pico Dictator.

This is a pico-8 demake of one of my childhood memories, the turn based strategy game "DICTATOR" for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

I didn't recreate it 100% but instead tried to recreate the look and feel of the game (I added some more graphics etc). The internal engine for the game rules though should be nearly identical.

In DICTATOR you are the ruler of the African banana republic Ritimba and you need keep the different factions of the country - the army, the peasants and the landowners - happy while working tightly together with your secret police. Other parties you need to manage are the guerillas, the neighbor Leftoto, the Russians and the Americans.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

... The entire Metroid map, converted to the PICO-8 palette and 8x8px sprites @.@

https://www.uomni.com/img/metroid.pico.edited.png

7 comments

Hello all!

Finally purchase Pico-8 and quite excited to get started, I have limited coding experience to be honest but I've dabbled in many languages (Mainly Python, BASIC and a little C#) and read several books on computer architecture so hoping this might be a 'not too big' jump into the video gaming world.

I have read a variety of posts about Pico-8 now and am excited to get started however a few questions have cropped up if anyone thinks they could help!

1) I love the idea of limitations with the console however I like the idea of being able to start small and watch it grow, how tight are the limitations in practise and are there any work arounds if I get going?

2) The game I want to design at some point down the line is basically a small version of The Sims...my thoughts are it will be set in one house or maybe a very small town where you go to work, buy furniture and gradually upgrade a few skils. Ofcourse naturally I would scale down on each aspect to include what hopefully sums up the franchise. I'm thinking game length and interest would be held by keeping the map/world small but adding features to a small base. The question here really is do you think this kind of project would be doable with the tools/limitations of Pico-8.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #dancesantarevolution-0 | 2019-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Proud part of the PICO-8 Advent Calendar 2019.

About

This year Santa Claus is in an incredible mood for dancing... enjoy a small Christmas Doodle!

Credits

Cart by Matthias Falk
Music by gruber
Snow effect adapted from a code example by trasevol_dog, inspired by CELESTE (Matt & Noel)
Santa animation by northpole.com
On https://pocketfruit.itch.io you can find my other games and follow me for updates.

Audio not playing? For Google Chrome and Safari, please refer to this

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #lazy_farm-0 | 2019-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi! I developed a puzzle game based on the classic Sokoban.

The itch.io page for the game contains more information, various downloads and the game manual.

1 comment

Certainly not the first block-stacking game, but this might be the first one on PICO-8 with global high scores*!

Play the game here*:

https://jaredkrinke.itch.io/fbgp8

How to play

The goal of the game is to score points by clearing lines. You clear lines by rotating and dropping pieces into complete lines (no gaps). The more lines you clear at once, the more points you score.

Pro tip: pieces fall faster on higher levels, but you get more points, so if you can handle it, try starting on level 9.

Game modes

• Endless (exactly what it sounds like)
  • Countdown (game ends after 25 lines)
  • Cleanup (same as countdown, but the play area starts filled with garbage)

High scores

High scores are tracked both locally and globally*.

See if you can make it into the top 10! (Update 12/13: getting on the list is no longer easy :)

Code

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #f8_faster_than_light-0 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The goal is to make a pico8 version of Faster Than Light.

I am planning to remove all the crew management + route planning and focus on dogfight.
A big part of what makes FTL great is the balance so I am not sure yet if the game will make sense.

Going to work on this more in the coming days.
Send some love if you would like to play it.

Also I suck at making music so if you like the project and want to do the tracker part. Get in touch.

6 comments

Cart #creedfighter-1 | 2019-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

For Saint Nicholas Day, I made a game inspired by my favorite St Nick legend: that one time he punched a heretic.

It's a 2-player fighting game, controllers recommended. Enjoy!

1 comment

The BBS's media storage system has recently been updated, and image attachments are now sent to a cloud bucket. Let's stress-test it with some gifs!

Rules:

• No gif, no post!
  • No explanation of the gif is required.
  • No quality required.

To save these, I used "CONFIG GIF_SCALE 3" from the PICO-8 command prompt, but any size is ok.

Some of these are doodles, some are unfinished carts, some are abandoned projects that will only live on as gifs.

24 comments

Cart #marrakech-0 | 2019-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try to make the board game featured in the first episode of After School Dice Club

Marrakech Rule Book

1 comment

Cart #picocarina-0 | 2019-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Not really a game, just an ocarina to play. Works best with a gamepad (input seems snappier than keyboard).

There are 16 notes over 2 octaves (in a hard-coded semi-flexible scale I decided on lol)

C2  LEFT
C#2 DOWN
D2  RIGHT
D#2 UP
F2  LEFT + X
G2  DOWN + X
G#2 RIGHT + X
A#3 UP + X
C3  LEFT + O
C#3 DOWN + O
D3  RIGHT + O
D#3 UP + O
F3  LEFT + X + O
G3  DOWN + X + O
G#3 RIGHT + X + O
A#4 UP + X + O
6 comments

Cart #subhunter-2 | 2019-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Wanted to challenge myself to a one day build, which mostly happened. I've started so many different Pico-8 projects and I just really wanted to "finish" something so I decided to just try and recreate and old classic and give myself one-ish day to complete it.

Managed to create almost the entire game in my arbitrary time limit. I just spent the following morning making a title screen.

Anyways, it's pretty basic game. Just move left and right if you want and time your charges to hit the subs! Drop charges by pressing left and right at the same time. The meter show when a charge is ready to fire.

3 comments

Cart #liferace-1 | 2019-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Life is not a race. Life is not about being the best; it is about enjoying the journey. It sounds counterintuitive, but stopping to enjoy life helps us to be better people. We can see what is happening around us. We can smell the roses, enjoy the company, and try new and wonderful things. These things will not only help us to relax, but they will also help us along our journey.

That game was designed for Meditation games for December 3rd.

Controls: X and Z to move. Enter to open the pause menu and restart.

Hint: doing some work (without depleting the bar) and then over relaxing (wait after the bar is full), will help you to see stuff in the world that you were not able to see before because you were focusing on work all the time.

3 comments

Cart #laby-0 | 2019-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! I made a super small labyrinth game.
I found out about pico while studying shortest path algorithms in graphs and I thought that trying to implement some of that in pico would be a fun way to learn both, so here we are.
Hope you like it

Incipit: you're an explorer trying to find an exit out of the labyrinth he found himself to, but you seem to only go deeper... there is something stalking you in the dark.

Visualizer: the game has also an A* visualizer built-in, in the menù, pressing z will start it, pressing it again will reset the labyrinth and the visualizer.

Game: pressing x in the menu will start the game: you'll find yourself in a dark labyrinth, with only the light of your torch illuminating the room you're in. you'll need to find the exit, and the music will help you, it'll change based on how near you are

2 comments

Cart #mb_advent2019-2 | 2019-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Remember the classic Shockwave Flash snowball fight game called Snowcraft from 1998? 21 years ago! My entry for this year's PICO-8 Advent Calendar is a demake of that beloved Flash game. Huge thanks to @Gruber for helping with the sound effects!

This game uses the mouse. (Sorry, mobile users!)

I tried to make this as close to the original as possible. Have fun! :)

4 comments

Cart #christmas_greeting-0 | 2019-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made a little Christmas greeting for the holidays. Hoo Hoo Hoooo!

2 comments

Cart #sinking_ships-1 | 2019-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Two ships enter. One ship sinks!

CONTROLS

[1P]             [2P]

Left + Right       S  +  F      :    Steer Ship
     Z               Tab        :    Fire Left Broadside / Select
     X                Q         :    Fire Right Broadside / Back
  Up + Down         E + D       :    Navigate Menu

ABOUT THE GAME

This is SINKING SHIPS, a one- or two-player fighting game about naval combat during the Napoleonic Wars, like Star Control meets Wooden Ships & Iron Men. Keep one eye on your enemy and the other on your wind-vane as you angle for the perfect position to unleash your broadside.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

So, this is the code I have right now:

local count = 0
function _draw()
 count += 1
 print(count)
 print(sin(count))

Then, when I boot this, the second one is always 0, but why? I'm trying to have a sinus wave, but not 0.

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->