BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

ccm
by dw817
Cart #ccm-0 | 2019-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in immediate mode type:

load #ccm

I have need of this function for a different game I'm working on - so you get a chance to enjoy and make use of it for your own projects.

Today most games in Pico-8 use what is called a HIT BOX to determine if there is a collision between two objects. And while it works fairly well it is not entirely accurate.

For instance, you could have a comparison between two completely different sprites and the hit box area would either be too big where a collision occurs even if they are not touching, or the hit box could be too small where you must run right up against the target and even though you are touching it, it does not register.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Does anyone actually have this working? If so, can you just tell us in simple language what we need and where? This much-linked "tutorial" is completely incomprehensible to normal people https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3935 and none of the others I've found are any better.

Here's where I'm at so far:

I've copied the pico-8 folder you get into /home/pi, since after much searching I eventually figured out that's where it was meant to go.
I've got a file in that /home/pi/pico-8 folder called +Start PICO-8.sh, whose contents are this:

#!/bin/bash
pushd "/home/pi/pico-8"
./pico8 -splore
popd

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, I just copied and pasted it from some of the various gibberish tutorials.

I've added the following to es_systems.cfg:

<system>
    <name>pico8</name>
    <fullname>PICO-8</fullname>
    <path>/home/pi/pico-8</path>

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=70240#p)
9 comments

cs
by dw817
Cart #cs-0 | 2019-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in immediate mode type:

load #cs

Use the arrow keys to navigate between the 8-images stored. Press (O) to turn on and off the status.

1. Santa Claus
  2. Rudolph
  3. Christmas Tree
  4. Jingle Bells
  5. Snowman
  6. Candy Canes
  7. Christmas Wreath (turned out nicely !)
  8. Gingerbread Man

Thought I would start a fresh tab for this new code. And there's quite a bit new about it.

While before you could guarantee a compression of 682-chars per picture, now it is based upon the cluster of pixels. So more black or white space means greater compression.

Also it no longer uses the Spritesheet even for temporary storage, it's all self-contained now.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #mousemaze-1 | 2019-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

MOUSE MAZE

You're the last mouse on Mouse Earth (which is just sewers, but with a nice name), and Mouse Earth (still just sewers) is about to get flooded by water! Will you escape the maze in time and protect the legacy of Mouse Earth? (sewers)

Features:

• cute mouse!
  • procedurally generated levels! yes, exactly like that No Man's Sky game!
  • cute graphics!
  • maze-oriented gameplay! yes, exactly like that DOOM game!
  • spooky music~
  • innovative!
  • disruptive!
  • FUN.

This is a small game that originally started as a submission for the 239th One Hour Game Jam, the theme of which was "Mouse Only", which is of course open to interpretation. I made the basic maze in 2 hours and then decided to take additional time (~8 hours) and make it a sweet little game. I really like the end result and I hope you do too, you lovely human you.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #yofuyoraru-0 | 2019-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

You may yourself have experimented with the IMPORT ability for Pico-8 to import sprite sheets. However if you tried it inside your own code, it doesn't work, that is until your program ends.

So how can this be accomplished ?

Well first off understand the method I found only works for the IDE, that is, this will not work Online, offline Java or exported to an EXE/Mac. It only works in the IDE.

Here is the code:

-- the power of import
-- written by dw817 (11-24-19)

import "one.png"
if sget(3,3)==0 then
  run""
end

cls()
?[[
there are no sprites in this
program. what you see was
loaded from an external file.
]]

for i=0,15 do
  spr(0,i*8,60)
end

repeat
  flip()
until forever

Save that as IMP.p8 if you like.

What's happening here ? It's pretty tricky actually. The first thing I do is import a .PNG file sized 8x8-pixels. Naturally it doesn't appear so the next line is TRUE, that is, the pixel at coordinates 3x3 on the sprite sheet is black. So then I RUN the program AGAIN.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bk_ftree-0 | 2019-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

X to create a new seed, Z to grow it. Arrow keys do make it more or less gnarly, and the branches longer or shorter.

Was fooling around with generating trees for something entirely different, but thought this became fun enough to share.

1 comment

I started working on a song of storms to get used to the editor. This is my first pico-8 song!
[sfx]

1 comment

@zep:

I was trying out the one of the BBS carts in the Leapdroid for Windows. While running a cart does indeed go full-screen and put a nice control interface for touch-screen which does work BTW, the game screen itself flickers from sharp pixels to blurry pixels very nastily and seemingly randomly back and forth.

This does not occur with any other APKs I've installed.

Something else to consider.

0 comments

Although there is a button on the sidebar that allows you to view the controls, however, you cannot rebind keyboard controls, to my knowledge. Does anyone know how to do this?

3 comments

Cart #ndajabosa-0 | 2019-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been working on a little remake of the classic Atari Star Wars game from 1983. It's been a lot of fun mixing my love of this game with the love of coding Pico 8.

I really had no idea if how to tackle this port and have never written anything close to a 3D / fake 3D rendered game before so its been a learning experience. Also Im sure there are much better ways of doing what Im doing but Im quite pleased with the results so far. For sure I can also optimise and refactor more and I hope to do that so I can include a high score table.

The game is in a alpha state at the moment as there is still a list of things to do including...

1) The fireballs don't shoot at all well in stage 1.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #yubipufita-1 | 2019-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Work in progress by an average loser.

4 comments

Cart #wumpusti99-0 | 2019-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Clone of TI-99 Hunt the Wumpus Cartridge

8 comments

Cart #bigger4you_galaxy_1-0 | 2019-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first steps within pico-8. I started 1 year ago, but had to do a break.

Highscore is inspired from Commando ;)

Actually I am looking into enemy movement and a better highscore table
(highscore saving is missing)

1 comment

The new (just noticed it changed today) HTML player here on the BBS doesn't seem to be able to keep a steady 60 FPS

I can really feel a bunch of frame jitter when playing Alfonzo's Bowling Challenge and it makes the physics feel very noticeably off

(testing on a MacBook Pro in both Chrome and Firefox. The old exported HTML version (0.1.12c) on itch still runs smoothly on this same computer)

6 comments

I can tell there are new changes in the Lexaloffle BBS by the appearance of this underneath carts now:

" Code ▽ | Embed ▽"

With the new images of the down facing triangles.

If you are editing your message (or any previous message you wrote) and preview and attempt to click play your cart from the message editor - it will not work.

You click on the right-facing Play Triangle in the center of your cart preview and it acts like you did not click at all.

This proven to exist now in Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome browsers.

2 comments

PLAY THE REMAKE HERE: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41010

Cart #everred-1 | 2024-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Everred is a mod of Celeste Classic that adds completely new levels, themes, and even a few features. There's also music remixes and new sprites. You should play Classic before playing this!

There's three routes through the game (Normal, Gemskip, and Trueskip) that you can take depending on which chests you open; however, the Gemskip and Trueskip routes require speedrun strats that aren't taught here. Lots of credit to Maddy and Noel from EXOK Games for their amazing game, and special thanks to the Celeste Classic Discord for all the help and feedback.

v1.1 patch notes: https://petthepetra.itch.io/everred/devlog/661844/everred-v11

23 comments

UPDATE 1: Added achievements, fixed a few visual bugs.

Cart #onlyebadgu-1 | 2020-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

So, I participated in the GMTK Game Jam this year, and never really thought to put my result up here. I did decently well, but spent a bit too long looking into theme rather than mechanics, so the ending was a tad rushed and is unfinished. The rest of the game is still a fun experience, I hope.
I may update the game further if you want me to.

OLD VERSIONS:

Cart #onlyebadgu-0 | 2019-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

This is the adjusted controls to work with mobile devices.

Cart #gadotajzi-0 | 2019-11-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hello Pico-8 community.

Cart #subedunebo-0 | 2019-11-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game so please let me know what you think of it. This is an extremely early version of the game, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->