BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

The interesting feature is that the cart stores a bunch of 4 letter words in a Bloom filter, e.g., about 6000 four letter words are probabilistically "stored" in 8 kilobytes. This English word database is stored in the region of memory reserved for the map.

The game itself is incomplete, but I wonder if other folks can think of other PICO-8 applications of a "four letter word database."

Cart #kisonecat_sapsword_1-0 | 2019-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Whenever I log in via username and password, it doesn't work, even if I used the correct password. I have to use the email login. Is there something I'm missing?

0 comments

There should be a part of RAM that can be read and written to by more than one game. This could work by a host cart having a whitelist of guest cart IDs that can use the shared RAM with the host game, and the guest carts have the ability to access the shared RAM from the get-go. This could be used by a Zelda clone where the game is split across multiple carts (like Picoware, but items have to persist between carts, so the host cart (the boot cart) puts the item data in the shared RAM, which the other guest carts can access and edit.

2 comments

Hi, I am having a problem with sprites and the map.

It seems that the botom half of my spritesheets is interlinked with the bottom part of the map.

It is realy frustating, is there anything I can do?

3 comments

Cart #yijebofuse-0 | 2019-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I felt like ray marching a signed distance field in PICO-8.
(Don't ask me why..).

10 comments

Cart #threeworlds-4 | 2019-11-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple weapon-based arcade-style beat 'em up. One hit kills, so be careful.

Controls:

• o: attack
    • while moving: light attack
    • whlle standing still: heavy attack (penetrates more defenses, but leaves you exposed if you miss)
    • all attacks require a windup. hold attack to keep attack ready, release at your leisure. Note: you will be vulnerable to enemies while holding. You also won't turn around (good for kiting)
  • x: defend
    • while moving: dodge
    • while standing still: parry (successful parry drops enemies defenses just long enough to counter)
    • while holding attack: cancel attack

keybindings:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #warehose_heroes-2 | 2022-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Updated with logo.

4 comments

Cart #pollock-1 | 2019-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the PICO-8 version of a game I wanted to make about 3 years ago. I figured I should make a smol version of it and actually finish.

The final game will be a one-screen maze game with moving enemies, and hopefully something interesting with the painting mechanic. I also want people to make their own levels for it, so I made a separate level editor (not in PICO-8) that spits out a table that the game reads as a leves; super user f r i e n d l y .

Anyways, that's what this is. I hope I have something more interesting

3 comments

dt
by dw817
Cart #dt-0 | 2019-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART, type the following in immediate mode:

load #dt

You've probably seen some pretty amazing things in graphic demos done for Pico-8, none to me more satisfying than the dither effect I've seen between two colors, where one side of the screen is black, the other white, and a complex and beautiful pattern between both showing a kind of fade ability using only the same-color pixels.

The fill pattern is by @Megus, and you can find his demoscene cart HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35774

Now while he and his crew have made an amazing demo, this tutorial and focus will be only on the dither technique used to create a division between two-colors. While it looks great on 3-dimensional models, it is also quite a thing of beauty to appear even on the screen just by itself.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #color_runner-0 | 2019-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the result of the #imglygamejam19

We built that in 42h!

0 comments

Okay, so not really the soundtrack so much as 2 tracks from Castlevania.

Cart #vampire_killer-0 | 2019-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #heart_of_fire-1 | 2019-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

I made this horrendous well-programmed cart which corrupts itself when true=true.
Why did I do this?
I don't know, I'm just procrastinating on being a functioning member of society.

Cart #whiletrue-0 | 2019-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Disclaimer: it's dumb don't use it

6 comments

Cart #nine_keys-3 | 2019-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS in Pico-8 type:

load #nine_keys

I am not at all certain if Pico-8 runs 100% correctly on Android and cellphones. I would like to think that if it is not, that @zep is certainly doing his level best to ensure that it can.

This program is fairly simple but opens up input, especially for a touchscreen Android and touchscreen cellphone.

I had originally worked this into a complex cellphone driven programming language earlier with 15 buttons in a 5x3 format, but the language is cumbersome, slow, and not at all user-friendly.

So I have put it here. You can test it with the mouse if you like.

6 buttons are already active.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #jewakadepa-2 | 2019-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sieur Lacassagne dungeon

Sieur Lacassagne dungeon is a retro Pico8 game made during the #devtober month (october).

Github right there

Music

Special thanks to this awesome musician that licensed is music under the Creative Commons.

Track is Dungeon from

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #catpointer-0 | 2019-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple simulator of the cat experience. You're in a room, it's warm and cozy while the snow falls outside, and you would be perfectly happy, if not for one thing.

That devilish, inexplicable red dot teasing you.

I'm sure it can not escape your hunting prowess.

I'm sure you can catch it.

I'm sure something will happen if you do, eventually.

...pretty sure.

3 comments

Cart #picochak-0 | 2019-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My friends and I created a new demoscene production for PICO-8 — PICOCHAK. It was first presented yesterday at CAFe'2019 demoparty. It took 2nd place in Console Demo Compo.

Code: Megus
Music: n1k-o/Stardust
Graphics: Diver/Stardust

The full source code (including some tools) is available on GitHub: https://github.com/Megus/picochak

22 comments

Hi,

My game works fine here on the Pico 8 BBS (on desktop and mobile) but…

I recently uploaded it to itch.io, making sure to follow the instructions in the Pico 8 manual (https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico8_manual.txt):

If you would like to upload your exported cartridge to itch.io as playable html:

1. From inside PICO-8: EXPORT -F FOO.HTML
			2. Create a new project from your itch dashboard.
			3. Zip up the folder and upload it (set "This file will be played in the browser")
			4. Embed in page, with a size of 750px x 640px.
			5. Set "Mobile Friendly" on (default orientation) and "Automatically start on page load" on.
				// no need for the fullscreen button as the default PICO-8 template has its own.
			6. Set the background (BG2) to something dark (e.g. #232323) and the text to something light.

But for some reason, on the itch.io mobile version, the controls 1) take a long 5 seconds or so to appear atop the game and 2) don't work.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

[sfx]

So I'm not much of a musician but I've had a soft spot for chiptune music ever since I first heard of the genre, so once I started messing around with PICO-8 it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try make something of my own. This is the first thing I've made that's sounded good enough for me to turn into a full song :)

Hope you like it, IMO it has some touches of Monodeer and Kubbi to it, for anyone who's listened to those artists.

Also big shout out to @Gruber for his YouTube tutorials that helped me figure out how to do anything at all in the music editor :)

2 comments

Cart #tudanawati-0 | 2019-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pseudo 3D racing games are fun. They have a cool retro arcade feel, with a good sense of speed, and can run on low end hardware. Plus they're pretty straightforward to implement - and satisfying.

There are lots of different ways to write a pseudo 3D racer, but I'm just going to show you how I do it.
This is the method I used for Loose Gravel, and can render corners, hills, tunnels and background sprites in an efficient manner. It doesn't need any 3D drawing hardware, just basic 2D rectangles, lines, scaled sprites and rectangular clip regions. Pico-8 can do all of these.

Defining the road

The road is made out of "corners" (for our purposes we will call straight bits "corners" as well). Corners need to curve in the direction the road turns, so we will simulate this by building them out of smaller straight "segments".

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

🛌

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->