BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #purrinormalcativity-0 | 2019-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Purrinormal Cativity is my family's entry to the Spooky September 4-Color Jam! Play as a cat taking a stroll through a graveyard on a starry fall night. Knock over jack-o-lanterns for points while avoiding ghosts, bats, and owls.

This is my first PICO-8 game, and was a full family effort:

My wife: Most of the graphics
Son #1 (11): Music and SFX
Son #2 (10): Level design and play testing
Me: Coding and a couple of the sprites

Credit where credit is due, we couldn't have done it without these resources:
Advanced Micro Platformer - Starter Kit
Minsky Circle

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #mortem-2 | 2019-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a simulator for suicide. i spent a month working on this, i'm slow at programming

character art was done by vinh duong

EDIT: i accidentally commented out a small effect before

4 comments

Cart #tasowowobe-0 | 2019-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

direction button and C to reset the level
Thanks for playing and have fun!!!

0 comments

Cart #word_quiz_animals-2 | 2019-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small young children game for learning to spell and read.
want to update with more and more animals (ideally consume all possible sprites).

14 comments

Cart #zruyohse-0 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Heyo!
I'm making a small game about chronic illness.
The idea is that the player has to go to the hospital every x amount of time.
They're also fighting a monster of sorts on the left side. But they'll get constantly interrupted because they'll run out of energy and have to go to the hospital.

Right now, I'm not sure what kind of mechanic I would have for the fighting of the monster. I was thinking basic turn based attacks like an RPG, but maybe something more action might be fun.
Any suggestions?

3 comments

Cart #marioded-0 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for Trijam #41. What happens when the hero fights for too long? When he uses up life after life, walks too much, stares (and falls) into too many abysses?

A short, dark take on the Super Mario world!

1 comment

Cart #ruwihetsu-0 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So that's my first PICO-8 game, some kind of demake of that infamous T-Rex game on Chrome. One of my schoolmates gave me the idea in tech class, so I spent like two school days coding this. Also asked me if I could make it in 60 FPS, so it is. Code's really messy, could use some improvement, but hey "it just works".

1 comment

Cart #debug-2 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

to load this cart in Pico-8 immediate mode type:

load #debug-2

updated 10-18-19: Now works correctly no matter what the names of your functions are or even if you rename the debug() function itself.

Ah ! I bet you did not know about this ?

There is a command in Pico-8 that lets you see what function you are in as well as the line number ! Works with nested functions too, as deep as you please.

Debugging your code just got a lot easier.

Try out this sample program and feel free to use this function I put together to assist you. Every time you call DEBUG() it will display at the bottom of the screen what function called it and at what line number.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

There was a discussion on twitter about not being able to get the stack trace for a dead coroutine, which is understandably frustrating. However, I was sure that I once figured out a way to do it, and I said so, but the code to do so is on a dead PC at the moment, so I had to spend some time figuring it out again.

This sample basically runs a coroutine that waits for 5 seconds and then does something fatal. Each frame it displays the known status and stack trace. Run it, you'll see.

I tried to set up the code to be as simple and understandable as possible, but if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

EDIT! For a VERY simple coroutine exception stack trace dump, see my follow-up post here

Cart #tehuyajiso-7 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

13 comments

Cart #dot_boom-0 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi Everyone,

My name is Leah and I am six. I really like playing Kirby with my dad and it gave me an idea of making a video game. I drew the character and the background. I made the music, I typed everything in the code editor and my dad told me what to type. I hope everyone likes my first video game.

6 comments

Cart #koyayanuhe-0 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my work in progress for my Bricks program!

0 comments

Sometimes you just can't get what you want by plotting sprites cause they may not be there or you've put a bunch of binary code on top of 'em. Sometimes you just MUST pixel.

Well, that's all good and well, and there's a few ways to go about it.

[1] Record every pixel in the area ahead of time and later plot it all out again.

[2] As above but only plot select pixels. In this case, do not plot black pixels.

[3] Unique method caching pixels. Explained later below.

[4] NEW ! Shoxidizer's Serializer.

[5] NEW ! Using PEEK and POKE.

Try this program I wrote:

by dw817
Cart #iymp-0 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Use LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys to change drawing method.
Lots of moving and colorful sprites. It starts out in MODE 0, which is the 1st above.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #skelegame_wip-0 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A demo of my upcoming project, featuring zero ideas for a final title and a quarter of the tokens already. Jump with Z and fire with X, you can figure out the details.

3 comments

Waterside (LOWREZJAM 2019)

Cart #waterside_jfire-1 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Visit 4 different locations and vanquish foes. Each stage should take about 1 to 2 minutes.

• 4 unique bosses and a built-in speedrun timer.
  • Choose between increasing your max life or your attack power after clearing a stage.

Game created for LOWREZJAM 2019, a game jam where you have to make a game fit within a 64 by 64 pixel resolution.

NOTE: Enemies come in waves, and their placements will always be the same. If you failed a stage, just keep replaying it and memorize the enemy positions.

Also on itch.io: https://justfire45.itch.io/waterside

8 comments

What games have you had your eye on that you the most ?

This is by no means a complete list or in any any particular order, but these are definitely some games I thoroughly enjoy playing and playing again and will play again even after I have won them.

Wandering Magic - by @Overkill
Carmina - by @makz
A Messenger's Tale - by @JustFire45
Dungeo The Lich Queen - by @nephilim
Of Ineffable Nature - by @Jimmu
Jack Of Spades - by @BoneVolt
Dusk Child - by @SophieHoulden
Mai-Chan's Sweet Buns - by @Krystman
Celeste v0.1.2 - by @noel
Upward - by @matthias
Feed The Ducks - by @kittenm4ster
Just One Boss - by @bridgs
Minima 1.1.1 - by @Feneric
Dank Tomb - by @krajzeg
Alone In Pico - by @NuSan
Swordfish - by @chowyunbrent
Santa's Christmas Run - by @Tassilo
Charge! (LD39) 1.0 - by @DragonXVI
Kelin's Delivery - Rain v1.2.1 - by @NeithR
The Legend Of Bobby 0.7 - by @AbsolutRenal
The Green Legion v1.03 - by @guerragames
Buzzkill 1.4 - by @morningtoast
Eigengrau 0.1 - by @LeDjinn
Puzzle Cave I and II - by @hackefuffel
Tower Noire I - by @Cow

[size=16] [ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hi,

I recently published my first game on the BBS.

1) Is there currently any way to see stats on how many times it's been played?
2) How does a game become "featured?"

Thanks!

9 comments

Cart #loose_gravel-4 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Loose Gravel! A pseudo-3d racer that started as a proof of concept, and gradually grew into something of a game.
If you're curious, you can view the progress here.

Pretty self explanatory. Choose a course and try to overtake the other cars in 3 laps to win.
Courses are randomly generated but have their own unique parameters and feel.
I was planning to add a tournament mode (and some more tracks), but I ran out of cart space (so that means it's finished! :) )

Tip: If you tap the up arrow you will keep accelerating until you hit something or drive off the road. You don't need to hold it down.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

by dw817
Cart #sots-2 | 2019-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

update: put helpful remarks in ALL of code now.

This is not a very complex cart, or perhaps it is.

The classic SNAKE game has been around for many years and during that time some innovative programmers have figured out unique, interesting, and compact ways of handling it.

It's not simply drawing a line, it creates a trail that disappears behind the player according to how far in the game they are.

There are many approaches to writing this. As for me, I have always opted to ID the entire screen, in this case, all 15x15 tiles and use a number to represent a part of the snake.

The higher the number the longer it will be in play. Albeit a lower number means it will vanish more quickly.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Does print() in _update() work?

Hi there! Just purchased PICO-8 and Voxatron last week and I'm trying to recreate some classic pong action as a way of getting familiar with the ins and outs of the scripting environment (this is my first time ever interacting with anything related to Lua). Right now I've got a paddle that responds to up/down keyboard presses and a ball that bounces around the screen and collides with the paddle.

I'm trying to print some debug text at the moment of paddle + ball collision, but my print function appears to be doing nothing.

Here's what my current gameplay looks like:

And here's the code:
(the print function that appears to not be working is in line 53 - i.e. the 3rd line from the bottom)
(unrelated: sure would be nice to have line numbers on code snippets here in the forums!)

ball_x = 64
ball_y = 64
ballspeed_x = 3
ballspeed_y = 2
pad_x = 20
pad_y = 50
pad_w = 4
pad_h = 20

function _draw()
	rectfill(0,0,127,127,5)
	circfill(ball_x,ball_y,2,14)
	rectfill(pad_x, pad_y, pad_x + pad_w, pad_y + pad_h, 10)
end

function _update() 
	moveball()
	updateballcollisions()
	movepaddle()
	updatepaddlecollisions()
end

function moveball()
	ball_x += ballspeed_x
	ball_y += ballspeed_y
end

function updateballcollisions()
	if (ball_x < 0 or ball_x > 127) then
		ballspeed_x *= -1;
	end
	if (ball_y < 0 or ball_y > 127) then
		ballspeed_y *= -1;
	end
end

function movepaddle()
	if btn(2) and pad_y+(pad_h/2) > 0 then
		pad_y -= 4
	end
	if btn(3) and pad_y+(pad_h/2) < 127 then
		pad_y += 4
	end
end

function updatepaddlecollisions()
	pad_top_y = pad_y
	pad_bot_y = pad_top_y + pad_h
	pad_left_x = pad_x
    pad_right_x = pad_left_x + pad_w
	if ((ball_x > pad_left_x) and (ball_x < pad_right_x) and (ball_y > pad_top_y) and (ball_y < pad_bot_y)) then
		ballspeed_x *= -1
		print("paddle collision", 6, 6, 11)
	end
end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #twotwos_weird_snake-1 | 2019-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this game ages ago but just didn't publish it at the time. I think that's because I thought that it just wasn't polished enough, and besides, the world doesn't really need another snake game anyway. I... still think that, but my standards are now lower. So, yeah, this is just another snake game. It's got some different modes, at least! They're all pretty good (except maybe Janky mode, I don't know what I was thinking), but versus mode is the coolest in my opinion. It's a hardcore 1v1 snake battle to the death.

EDIT: You can now hit X instead of Y to start Versus mode with a grey snake instead of a blue one, in case you have tritanopia or just really dislike the colour blue.

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->