BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hey guys,

There's an Alakajam! event scheduled for the 20-22th September week-end!

The event is an online gamedev competition where people make a game from scratch over 48 hours. Start/end times are suited to European timezones (7pm UTC), also both the theme and the winners are decided by the community! As I write the theme submission phase is about to start, and you will be able to suggest ideas for one week. The full jam works this way:

You can discover the winners from the last jams here</a>. For the record the very first jam was actually won by a PICO-8 entry :) The achievement has not been renewed yet, it's up to you guys!

More than the thrill of the competition, a cool thing is that all games are getting valuable feedback their games thanks to our voting/comment system.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hey everyone, with the new colors being discovered recently, I decided to package them all up into an aseprite palette file/extension. Hope they are useful to someone!

https://bit.ly/2m0jwBe

pico8.zip modifies the default pico8 extension that comes with aseprite. Replace the contents of the directory with the contents of the zip. You can find the directory by opening aseprite, opening the list of palletes, selecting pico8, and clicking "open folder".

pico-8-secret.aseprite is just the standalone version which you can load by selecting the "load palette" option.

1 comment

Hello there, after a positng a sketch variation I did on Twitter earlier today, I was asked how one would do such a similar result.

So instead of a badly written Twitter thread, let me post you a badly written BBS post with a badly written (but well commented) breakdown on how I did it.

The spiral is a cylinder sliced in a few circles I offset on X and Y based on a formula. This formula varies with time and on which circle it'll yield the offset to (here, the index).

So, I progressively iterated from nothing to the spiral. Here's how I broke it down:

First I generate circles made by vertices I'd store aside. Drawing circles this way will allow me to the other steps. Each circle is drawn by drawing a segment between two consecutive vertices in the circle and by linking the same vertex between two consecutives circles. Here, it looks like a colored spider web.

Then, I made the circles' center move based on the time. But it still doesn't look like a spiral. We can do better.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #song_of_healing-1 | 2019-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hope you enjoy it :)

1 comment

Hey folks,

Been toying around slightly with Pico-8 as a break from bigger projects, and I'm wondering if there will ever be an increase to the possible resolution of pico-8?
I dig the limits being used to force creativity, though I do feel 128x128p only gets you so far and no amount of memory-banking between carts can get around that for game-scale, it was the same thing I took issue with on both Gamebuino consoles.

To note I'm not saying like "hey we should have mega-complex 240p with 3x more sprites and 90 more colours so we're basically just on a snes", but I do think even just an upscale to 160x144 would help so much. I'd looked at alternatives but clearly the community and scale of potential support and resources is here in pico-8. As much as I'd like something like the C64 res of 320x200, I think even just the Gameboy 160x144 on some kind of Pico-8+ with the necessary memory increase, maybe a tiny bit more for graphical allocation, would be great.

22 comments

While playing around with poke/peek, I discovered theres a new palette to choose from.

Poking the address 0x5f11 and setting it to a value of 0xf1 [the 1 being the color in the palette, in this case dark blue] you'll notice something strange. The blue seems to be even darker! this goes from 0xf0 to 0xff and corresponds to the color palette available naturally. It seems to darken/add a warm filter to the colors, allowing us to provide sprites with more specific details. You can see this in action via Neil Popham's post on twitter. To return the color to normal, replace the f before the color ID with 0. for example, 0x01 would be normal dark blue where as 0xf1 is the darker dark blue.
https://twitter.com/ntpopham/status/1169166881607077888

Address range is 0x5f10 to 0x5f1f from what I can tell, and there is no other hidden colors yet discovered but knowing zep... there probably is. :)

Have fun with this discovery.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

respriter is a tool that you run in PICO-8 that let you edit other p8 cartridges

With this tool you can move sprites around and have the map updated to point to the new location of your sprites, so it isn't ruined. Sprite flags are moved along with the sprite pixels.

It is useful for when you want to move sprites around in the sprite bank so related sprites are next to each other, for example.

So you can turn an unplanned and unorganized bank into a more organized one

And your map will still look like this:

Respriter will also move the sprite flags when you move the sprites.

You can write protect parts of the sprite bank if that memory is used for the map, or you can work unprotected if you really want to

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

New version

I made a new version of Painto-8 that is easier to use and can change the palette during gameplay. I'm keeping the old version here in case someone still likes to use this one.

New cart: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=82916

Legacy cart

Cart #painto8-1 | 2020-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

--Version 02--

• Right-click on any color on the palette to open a menu with the 2 palettes. Swap between them with the tab on top.

• This version has poke(0x5f2e,1), so you can run the cart just when changing palette or drawing on the map area, otherwise, press ESC to resume to drawing on pico-8's sprite editor. (SHIFT+S to save changes so you don't lose what you've drawn while running the cart. Also saves the palette).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Hello everyone, today I stumbled on a undocumented feature I didn't know existed: 16 extra colors.!

I searched on the wiki and the forums and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere (except this thread, but it was a differnt thing and that feature was removed by zep at that time).

If you change the screen palette via poke (0x5f10 to 0x5f1f) to a value above 0x80, the color will change as shown below:

Here's world 2 of Jack of Spades with all colors swapped, except black and yellow:

Original colors for comparison:

You can't have more than 16 colors in a single frame though, since poking (0x5f00 to 0x5f0f) will just make the color transparent, as documented in the wiki. Still it's good for fades, and can be used for someting like stage-specific palettes like in the NES and other old consoles.

Pretty cool!

8 comments

So I'm fiddling around with a quirky fantasy romper, following the wacky adventures of Stabitha and her sidekick Quiver. What do you kids think?

(that's not Stabby and Quiver, its just a random grab of orcs from my game WIP!)

2 comments

Cart #najirosege-0 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple terrain generation demo using a 1D "heightmap"

9 comments

Cart #oneshot_eleventh_hour_0_1-0 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

Cart #heart_and_soul-0 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #elybeatmaker_mumbo_afk_0_1-0 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #undertale_memory-0 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #a_cruel_angels_thesis_0_1-1 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

A simple demo of 2.5D waves.

Cart #waves-1 | 2019-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #rijenipeko1-10 | 2019-09-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

ONLINE MULTIPLAYER VERSION IS HERE!

https://gamejolt.com/games/infinitegolf/441497

Please let me know what you think :D

Updates

• Music and sfx
  • Particle fx
  • Leaderboard for online play (coming very soon...)
  • Scorecard every 18 holes
  • Tweaks and bug fixes
  • Intro screen
  • Full GPIO support for multiplayer (but that needs a website to host, so watch this space...)
  • Thanks @remcode @dw817 @josh999 for the awesome feedback ;)

Previous

• Autotiling
  • Tweaked power meter - more power close to the max
  • Randomise the golfer avatar per cart reset
  • Increase par for holes with lots of water
  • Wind same for all users now

• Much improved PAN (up arrow)
  • Fixing some crazy bugs (like hole 71 causing an infinite loop <facepalm>)

• Stepping stones in lakes - hopefully this should sort the unplayable holes issue
  • Menu options to reset hole and delete save game

• Tutorial level!
  • The holes start easy and get harder - after 50 or so holes anything goes
  • Procedural generation basic version is ready!
  • Up/Down to pan a bit
  • Lots of UI tweaks

TODO

• Online replays via GPIO and a BAAS (e.g., FatFractal)
  • Stats screen (every 18 holes?)
30 comments

Cart #jamesoflife-2 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I try to make a quick version of Conway's Game of Life in whatever environment I am trying to program in when first starting out.

It gets me familiar with loops, arrays and some general logic and looks kind of nice in the end.

There are lots of versions of this online already, but I hope you find this one somewhat colourful and pleasant.

(my name is James, hence the semi-pun)

2 comments

Cart #room100snakes-0 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Room of 100 Snakes is my re/demake of ArcaneKids' classic game Room of 1000 Snakes, originally released as a 3D game using Unity.

Unlock the mystery of snakes!

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->