BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #wiggleroom-0 | 2019-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

_
Catch the wiggling pixels. As you move through the rooms the pixels will wiggle more and more erratically.

Controls 🕹

• X to start
  • move with arrow keys

Strategies 🤔

• To catch a wild wiggling pixel one must become a wild wiggling pixel

This is the first game I've ever posted to pico8.

It might not be much, and it may be a little more annoying than it is fun, but it does just scrape in at exactly 560 characters to get in to the TweetTweetJam2.

Any advice on how to improve my rudimentary code (or make a better game) would be appreciated 🙏

function _init()
x=64
y=64
ex=64
ey=44
l=3
s=1
r=1
c=100
t=15
o=true
p=print
b=btn
pc=6
end
function _update()
cls()
if o==true then
p("wiggle room \151",34,54,pc)
if (b(5)) then o=false end
elseif o==false then
c-=1
if (ex==x and ey==y) then 
ex=20+flr(rnd(80))
ey=20+flr(rnd(80))
r+=1
t=15
p("\143",x-2.5,y,8)
end
pset(ex+flr(rnd(r)),ey+flr(rnd(r)),8)
pset(x,y,pc)
p("\138"..r,2,2)
p("\147"..t,111,2)
if (b(0)) then x-=s end
if (b(1)) then x+=s end	
if (b(2)) then y-=s end
if (b(3)) then y+=s end
if c<=0 then
t-=1
c=100
end
if t<=0 then _init() end
end
end
2 comments

ok so it need a ton of work and i will improve it i just wanted to get it out there to show a few people so pleas don't waist your time telling me what its missing i already know lol but please do enjoy and check back to see added bosses music and what not again thank you for checking out my work

5 comments

Hello everyone,
I am kinda new to Pico-8 (as I worked with TIC-80 before). I am working on a game and I was trying to manage the code to be more readable by moving some code around.

I added all the helper functions at the top of the p8 file (as I was trying to move it to another lua file to use the #include command). When I ran the code, no error but it didn't behave as it supposes to do. The helper functions use some global variables so I moved that code to be after the definition of the variables and it worked fine.

Does functions in pico8 lua bind the variables in the function to the global variables when it is defined (which is before the definition of the variables) that's why it is reading nil? I am not amazing with these binding stuff so sorry if I am using incorrect termonolgy.

Ahmed Khalifa

1 comment

Cart #birdwatching-0 | 2019-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BIRDWATCHING

by Tim and Hannah

This isn't a game (yet), rather a sprite sheet of 64+ pico-birdies along with a player character ('Bob'). Please feel free to use the bird sprites or player animation in your game. I'll eventually make it into something playable myself, but in the meantime let this mark my first post to the PICO-8 BBS.

My daughter made almost all of the bird sprites. She's only little so please be nice. Here are a selection:
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #zohakirobe-0 | 2019-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"I'm sick of this guy always doing ports. Why can't he make his own game for once?" - snarky PICO-8 player who is somewhat familiar with my current library of games

First off, Wal-Rush! was original.

Second off, I'm beginning progress on an original game called DESCENT! It's based on a game of the same name that I made for the TI-84+ and TI-84+ CE back in 2017. Only, instead of delivering boxes, in this game you're slowly becoming insane.

I've implemented almost every mechanic I plan to use in the game, and I've made 4 stages with basic demonstrations of the first few of them. (There are ways to get stuck in these stages, and I don't have a restart-stage function yet. If you get stuck, you'll have to reset the cart. Sorry!)

4 comments

Cart #pabetemafu-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

In space, everyone can hear you scream, and they want you to shut up!

You pilot a small triangular spaceship and must make a living for yourself stealing fuel from empire bases. But every action you take makes noise that the sentries can hear. In order to keep your engine running, you must venture from base to base, sneakily and silently nabbing fuel.

Made for week 1 of Game Studio by Kyle Neubarth and Albert Jin!

arrow keys to accelerate/turn

z - shoot
x - hyperdrive (burns extra fuel, really loud, pretty fast)

0 comments

Cart #aquova_huck_dunt-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A version of Duck Hunt made for #TweetTweetJam 2 in 557 characters.

Use the mouse and click to shoot the ducks. There are 9 rounds, try to get them all before they fly away!

2 comments

Cart #pixagon-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Info

A small demake of Super Hexagon created for TweetTweetJam 2.
Made in 555 characters from a limit of 560.
Refresh to restart.

Code

a=0t=0s=0.5r=0.005l=1
c=63h={}add(h,{r=99,a=rnd(1)})add(h,{r=99*1.5,a=rnd(1)})
z=sin
v=cos
::_::cls()x=c+15*v(a)y=c+15*z(a)circ(c, c, 5, 7)circ(x, y, 1, 8)
if(not btn(0) or not btn(1))a+=r
if(btn(0))a+=0.03
if(btn(1))a-=0.03
for i=1,#h do 
o=h[i]
q=o.r

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=64471#p)
2 comments

Maze with patrolling platforms prototype.
Feel free to re mix :)

Cart #patrolling_platforms-2 | 2019-05-17 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #withlookingglass-0 | 2019-05-01 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey guys! I made a game in Voxatron using a Looking Glass 3D display and wanted to share it with you all. Pardon the heavy Alice and Wonderland themes.

Missy @ Looking Glass

3 comments

Dungeon Layout Generator

Cart #yositimosa-1 | 2019-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #yositimosa-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

A generator based on this cart by @johanp. It uses a similar idea to place rooms, but is much more simplistic (I prefer to try and figure things out on my own before I dig into other people's code.) This particular version continuously generates new dungeons while running. Feel free to reuse this if you like.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #fitegugiku-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A dungeon generator that I cobbled together, loosely following the methods described here. Please forgive my trash code. It's somewhat variable, but has an issue with mazes not being entirely connected together. I was hoping I could get some advice on how to fix that by uploading here. Feel free to use this for your own projects, if you want.

0 comments

Cart #supertankageddon-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first Pico-8 game! :D It started as an small experiment, but grew way bigger than expected. Very difficult and very short. Hope you enjoy it! :-)

CONTROLS

ESDF To move
Arrow Keys to shoot (Hold it for auto-fire!)
X to restart after a Game Over
Z to go back to the Title Screen

WARNING

This game contains flashing lights that could trigger an epileptic seizure

2 comments

Cart #zodajeph-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game made for tweettweetjam2

Story:

For some reason. Neighbors start running to your house. Throw stones to protect your privacy.

Controller:

Press "z" button for change direction.
Press "x" button for restart game.

itch.io

1 comment

Cart #slingshott-0 | 2019-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

At the moment I am trying to make a sound play once during a collision.

The collision doesn't stop player speed, but rather the player can "run" through the collision box.
This means that the collision function returns true for several frames in the game.

Whilst can get a collision to play a sound, because the function is returning true for several frames the sound bite keeps restarting every frame.

Could someone please explain how I could make it so that

Whilst collision = True
Sfx plays all the way through(only once though)

I am currently trial and erroring my way through this, but I wondered if I could cut that a little shorter by asking a question on here. I did try searching online for tutorials regarding this but they either make a sound effect play when a button is pressed, or something that doesn't necessarily apply to a situation like this.

Thanks.

2 comments

Cart #rawepemaze-0 | 2019-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Also playable on itch.io!)
This was made for the second TweetTweetJam, hosted by @eggnog!

A game inspired on the classic Slap Dab for the ZX Spectrum. Only 559 chars of code, so it fits in 2 tweets. Due to reaching 560 char limit, many features have been removed. But hey, there's still a room you have to paint, angry monsters that spawn close to you and chase you. Monsters can only move over painted tiles. Have fun!

0 comments

Cart #starshot560-0 | 2019-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, this is my entry for TweetTweetJam 2.

This cart features side-scrolling shooting, (super basic) enemies, hi scoring (volatile), and a parallax background.

Controls

• [⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️] Move Ship
  • [🅾️ (Z)] Shoot

Rules

Being a tweet jam cart, the game is pretty simple. You're the green ship on the left, bad guys are the red, err, ships, on the right. Build up the highest score you can. Your hitbox is 1 pixel, so no excuses! :P It's possible to cheese since there's no AI, but it's slow and definitely not fun.

As per the rules of the jam no sprites were used in-game, and the code fits into 560 characters (pretty precisely). Hope you like it, feedback welcomed.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

A tiny 1-button arcade game written in 560 characters.

Cart #sidewind-0 | 2019-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Also playable on itch.io!)

This was made for the second TweetTweetJam, hosted by @eggnog!

Your thread is constantly moving and turning. Press Z to switch which direction you turn in. Avoid obstacles and the encroaching walls as long as you can!

You have to reset the cart to play again.

2 comments

Cart #cube-0 | 2019-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->