BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #picoteras_1-0 | 2019-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

# Picotéras

by Fuchikoma71

Introduction:

As Eriban, fellow Pico-8 developer and code optimiser extraordinaire (very much unlike me) once observed, I have a habit of creating the completely wrong kind of Pico-8 games: slow-paced, physically accurate, complex and austere simulators. Picotéras is the latest in this slowly extending line of misfits.

I have long held the ambition of creating some sort of 4X analogue in Pico-8. However, it quickly became obvious that compromise would be necessary to make it playable. I ended up keeping the gigantic scale, every game spanning centuries (or even millenia) and dozens of star systems, but simplifying the core mechanics of the genre.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

The changelog for v0.1.11c (from a year or so ago) says:

> Added: F11 to toggle fullscreen

...but F11 has never actually worked in any version of PICO-8 so far, to my knowledge. Alt + Enter is still the only way to do fullscreen.

So I'm just making a bug report to track this, and as a reminder in case a fix might make it into 0.1.12b or something ;)

1 comment

Hello,

Recently grabbed the latest version 0.1.12 on macos. I noticed that after editing on an external text editor, attempting to reload the cart with cmd+r caused PICO-8 to completely crash and quit.

It seemed to only happen if the cart.p8 file had been changed in someway. cmd+r works fine without edits.

Anyone else having this issue?

10 comments

As the title says; music playback is clipping and causing distortion since upgrading to 0.1.12

I've tried rectifying the problem by setting music_volume to 128 (which is what I had previously always had it set to), but the music_volume value in the config.txt file gets reset to 256 every time Pico-8 is closed.

0 comments

When running a local cart in 0.1.12, stat(102) returns nil, instead of 0 as it did in 0.1.11g and before.

1 comment

found a bug in the config for the new v0.1.12: "gui_theme 2" is actually black but it looks like anything higher than 2 is grey now, as if the grey and black swapped :)

the dark blue is pretty nice as the new default btw!

0 comments

While poking around with Pico8, I discovered a way to simulate char and unsigned char types.

--           tochar          --
--[[
	this function converts a value
	to make it emulate a char
	(256 max characters)

it can emulate signed and
	unsigned chars. the value
	will not go beyond 0-255
	if unsigned, and if signed
	the values will remain at -128
	to 128.

tochar returns a signed char
	and touchar returns an unsigned
	char.

tochar(variable)
	touchar(variable)

see sample;

--]]
function tochar(id)
	local res=id%256
	return flr(res)
end

function touchar(id)
	local res=((id-128)%255)-127
	return flr(res)
end

--sample
number=1428

print(touchar(number, true))

Theres the code snippit, put it in and play with the sample.

info about it is in the code;
enjoy for anybody wanting to make char variables for what ever your reasons might be.

0 comments

Hi,
A cart is showing up in my profile here https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=8336&mode=carts&sub=0#m as being created by me, but it was not - all I did was paste someone else's cart id into this post - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=59639#p

Is there a way to remove it from my list?
Thanks

0 comments

Cartridge with code from the "teaching your teen to code a starfield session"

Cart #hajayigabo-0 | 2019-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hello. My game, a multi directional shooter with spaceship, bad guys, xplosions, bonuses... is ready to be published but i miss music. So if somebody would like to join[imgt 160,160]/bbs/files/12875 i will be honoured.

4 comments

Cart #balloon_trip_mod-0 | 2019-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little mod for Jusiv's game "I Just Wanna Land" because that's the first thing that came to my mind while playing it.

This mod is made by me.
Original game made by Jusiv.
Balloon Fight (C) 1985 Nintendo.

2 comments

Cart #kisonecat_sl2z-4 | 2019-04-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #hexagon-0 | 2019-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by Terry Cavanagh's game Hexagon. Tweet.

Use the left and right arrow keys to move. (Any other button press will unfortunately crash the game, but I didn't have room for error handling.)

0 comments

Cart #ingeste-1 | 2021-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Anyone can climb the mountain!

EX.ULT VIDEOTAINMENT presents a mod of the Pico-8 version of Celeste Classic that replaces Madeline with everybody’s favorite hungry pink blob! Instead of dashing and wall-jumping, you’ll run, flap, float, and inhale your way up the mountain. A spring breeze is blowing flower petals across the slopes. Collect optional Maximum Tomatoes, just for fun. We made minimal edits to Celeste’s level designs to allow for 100% completion.

Controls:

Arrow Keys: Walk, Fly, and Crouch
Z: Jump / Flap
X: Inhale / Exhale

If you’ve played Celeste, you know that part of its story is about overcoming anxiety and realizing that anybody, with enough determination and the right tools, can climb the mountain. (If you haven't played Celeste, go buy it!) The scene with the feather and the breathing exercise is so memorable! Madeline’s journey to work with herself, rather than against herself, has meant a lot to us. The generous Assist Mode shows us there's no wrong way to make it, and that it's cool to play games in whatever way you like.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

27 comments

Cart #pinballvania-2 | 2019-04-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Objective:

Collect all the green pickups to open the exit (double yellow circle) of each stage. Finish all 20 stages fast, brag your best times online on your favorite social network!

Controls:

• left/right: rotate the stage
  • down: increase the ball's gravity to drop faster
  • also supports mouse/touch controls

Features:

• 20 stages
  • 4 bosses
  • Many new game pluses (each with reshuffled procedurally generated levels).
  • Lots of circles
  • Different backgrounds per level (based on my own favorite tweetcarts).

I actually started this game more than a year ago but got distracted with other projects and its abstractness made it difficult to come back to. But after a quick poll on twitter, it was chosen by many as the next project I should work on, so here we are. I think it came out fun, what do you think? As always, please post below if you find any problems or suggestions and your best times playing the game.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

39 comments

Cart #picosketch-0 | 2019-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was bored in class today, and had an idea for a quick Etch-A-Sketch simulator.

Up/Down/Left/Right to control, or you can switch to a more "authentic" Etch-A-Sketch experience by switching the controls with the "Change controls" option in the menu. L/R will then move left/right, Z/X will move down/up.

Shake the canvas by using the "Shake" option in the menu.

It's not really meant to be anything special, but I haven't posted in a while.

2 comments

Cart #numakunawa-0 | 2019-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

FPS demo cart as an answer to @MBoffin April 1st Twitter joke.
Stay tuned for technical details.

8 comments

Super Cake Cutter

Cart #cakecut-0 | 2019-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Super Cake Cutter is a weird game I made, inspired by a weekly struggle suffered by my D&D group. Divide the cake evenly into the required number of slices. Watch out for strawberries, they make a slice more valuable!

Controls:
Arrows/D-Pad: Move current cut point
Button 1/Z: Cut
Button 2/X: Swap current cut point

Music Credit:
Autumn Wind by gruber (cc4-by-nc-sa) from the Pico-8 Tunes Vol. 2

Enjoy!

6 comments

Cart #magic_well-0 | 2019-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cart shows a bunch of marbles quickly rotating, and you may find it irritating or tiring on your eyes, especially with some of the palettes.

This is just an interesting effect I stumbled over as I tried making something like the Endless Brussels Sprouts cart I've seen a while ago. I found that drawing new marbles "behind" the others and letting them slowly spiral inwards gives the effect of a well slowly extending downwards.

Controls

⬅️/➡️

• change palette

• toggle modes (one looks like a well, the other more like a volcano)

🅾️

• pause/unpause
0 comments

Cart #critical_error-0 | 2019-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ever wanted to fill the screen with annoying error messages? No? Oh ok...

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->