BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #laikaspacedog-0 | 2019-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Become the first animal to enter orbit!

I made this game in May 2018 in a few days. It was originally made as part of a little space-themed ARG thing I was doing.

I kinda like it, but it could be better.

0 comments

Cart #ramtarp-0 | 2019-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first attempt at making a tower defense (-ish?) game. This project was influenced by my fondness for Rampart. Suggestions are welcome.

Goal:
Blast your opponent's walls with missiles and then lead your small army to attack their base.

Instructions:
There are two phases between each round: 1) build phase and 2) attack phase.

1)During the build phase you can place walls (if you have any), pick up supplies, and steal rubble from your opponent's base from damage you inflicted during the previous attack phase.

2) In the attack phase you can fire missiles to take out opponent's walls, kill units not standing on a base. Also, in this phase you can direct your army to various locations on the map.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #allocation-0 | 2019-03-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my submission for the 2018 Game Maker's Toolkit Jam.
The game's submission page is hosted on itch.io: https://mush101.itch.io/allocation

Description

Allocation is a Metroidvania game without a connected world map. Instead, you must create pathways between key points using the rooms that you collect as you explore.

Rooms are divided by difficulty, so you decide how challenging the game will be by creating your own paths to move around the world. The more you explore and add rooms to your collection, the more choice you have when designing your routes.

Creating a Path

Press the up arrow in front of the monitor to access the map system.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

Cart #bezierball-3 | 2019-03-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Edit: Above is a new version with better collision. Many thanks to @bridgs

Original below:

Cart #bezierball-0 | 2019-03-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! I recently created a [bezier curve.] https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=62928#p

I decided to see if I could make a ball interact with it, and it turns out I can! It's not perfect - it's possible for the ball to move through the curve in certain circumstances. I think my collision detection needs to be more robust.

1 comment

Is there a way to load another room using Lua scripts easily? I figure I could have a script that spawns/moves an exit directly to the player, but that seems like a lot of work for something that might not work right. There are of course ways to load the actors needed for the next level, but I would like to be able to use the room editor. Thank you for any help.

1 comment

Cart #whitelotuspa02-1 | 2019-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

so, this is a really strange little game i did for itch.io weekly game jam #88, the theme was strange date, and i tought "what would be more bizarre than dating a fish?", i enjoyed a lot making this, i may use this system for future dating games on pico-8

0 comments

I have figured out a very effective and token-saving method of creating scenes.

First, create a scene array called scnr(scene-running) and a variable called scn(for scene id). start it at 1

scnr={}
scn=1

inside of that array we create functions with comments to tell which is what

--[[_init]]--
scnr={
 --scene splash
 function() 
  --some stuff here
 end,

--scene title
 function()
  --some title stuff here
 end
}

then inside _draw() we simply do:

--[[_draw]]--
scnr[scn]()

Let me know if you guys know of another method thats more efficient.

0 comments

Cart #mufekamifo-0 | 2019-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The date has gone badly and you want to throw fruit. Reload from the buffet in the middle. Player 1 - S=LEFT, D=DOWN, F=RIGHT, E=UP press Q or W to throw. Player 2 - Arrow keys and M or N to throw.

Made for WeeklyGameJam 88 (Crazy Date theme) on itch.io

0 comments

This isn't exactly a bug, but an aspect of the API that bothers me a bit.

In PICO-8:

add(table, element) -- returns the added element
del(table, element) -- returns nil

This doesn't make much sense to me. Returning the added element is a nice convenience, since it allows you to do things like creating multidimensional tables succintly:

for x=1, width do
 local col = add(table, {})
 for y=1, height do
  add(col, {})
 end
end

But returning nil when deleting an element does not make sense to me. If it returned the deleted element, it would be possible to know whether an element was found or not, without first checking for membership.

For comparison, this is how it is in Lua:

table.insert(table, element) -- returns nil
table.remove(table, position) -- returns the removed element
3 comments

Cart #spidersense-0 | 2019-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Spider-Sense effect shown in the Spider-verse movie.
Press Z.

1 comment

Cart #mistify-0 | 2019-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #bezier-0 | 2019-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! I knocked this up in a few hours and I hope it's useful to someone. It draws a bezier curve based on the positions of four points: a start and end point, and two bezier handles.

The user can move any of the four points around by using Z to cycle between them and the arrow keys to move.

I have wrapped up the bezier into a single object so hopefully it should be easy to re-purpose.

0 comments

Cart #pasopeencurve-0 | 2019-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Background

This is my first PICO-8 game, I decided to make a version of the game called 'Achtung die kurve', or 'Curve fever'. Pas op, een curve means 'watch out, a curve'. This is a two-player version. The collision detection is based on detecting previously coloured pixels right in front of your curve. It has a bug where under some angle the detection fails sometimes (rarely). The game keeps track of your scores.

Controls

Blue player: 'z' and 'x'
Red player: left and right arrow keys

I currently couldn't test with a controller yet, but you are free to add support.

I hope someone will have fun with this.

1 comment

Cart #dosizabuyi-1 | 2019-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Port of the Sonic 3 bonus level palette rotation trick (using the original graphics!)

5 comments

This s a nifty, but small code snippit I made. Basically it takes the persistent cart data and forces it into your work-ram (starting from the range you specify in the sms_ram_start variable), so 256 values of your work ram will be used, but this is nice. You can save the specified ram storage to persistent data with the other function.

★smsave() - saves memory to cart persistent data
★smload() - loads persistent data into work ram

--smart save manager

--save work-ram to pers
--and load pers to 
--work ram

★sms_ram_start=0x4300
function ★smsave()
	for i=0,255 do
			local _rs=★sms_ram_start+i
			if _rs>0x5dff then break end
			poke(0x5e00+i, peek(_rs))
	end
end

function ★smload()
	for i=0,255 do
	 local _rs=★sms_ram_start+i
	 poke(_rs, peek(0x5e00+i))
	end
end

Why would you need this? idk, but I was bored and this was fun to make for what ever reason.

1 comment

Cart #yepsboge-1 | 2019-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1. call _init_debugger() in the init function.
  2. call _draw_debugger() in the _draw function.

3. to print a message, call the _debugger_print() method and as a parameter pass in a variable you want to print.
    you can also print warnings with _debugger_warning() and errors with _debugger_error()

EX:

_debugger_print("Hello World")
_debugger_warning("Hello World")
_debugger_error("Hello World")

1 comment

Cart #picotunes2-0 | 2019-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

@krajzeg and I released Vol. 1 EXACTLY TWO years ago! Vol. 2 has been in the works for a while, so we're excited to finally have this finished.

If you're not familiar with Pico-8 Tunes, the idea was to fill a Pico-8 cart with music that devs can use in their games. Jakub coded some amazing doodles and animations to accompany the music and create a demoscene-like experience. We're also very happy that @castpixel contributed her amazing artwork to Vol. 2. Thanks Christina!

If you're making a Pico-8 game, please feel free to download this cart, use the music in your own games, and check out some of Jakub's wizardry. You can also download all the music from

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Cart #as_aventuras_da_lhama-0 | 2019-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #magic_bubble-5 | 2021-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Based on one of the most controversial games for the NES (warning: NSFW), Jayson Lowis Harwin (i.e. me) brings you: Magic Bubble!

Description

Playing "Magic Bubble" is easy. Bubbles of many colors come floating upward. You must fit the Bubble Clusters together so four or more Bubbles of the same color touch one another. When four or more of the same colored bubbles press together, the pressure inside the Bubbles increases causing them to pop.

Keep the bubbles bursting since in every space a Bubble gets stuck there is one less place to put the next Bubble Cluster, and they just keep coming. If you can't pop the Bubbles fast enough, the cave fulls up, and the game will end.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #yasakojono-2 | 2019-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Assignment made as part of the ARTG 80H class at the University of California - Santa Cruz.

Created by Siming Zheng, Yifan Zhang, and Geoff Smith

Special Thanks to Rongxi Li

And Additional thanks to Professor Aliah Darke and TA Yanzi Li

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->