BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hello everybody!

After watching couple videos about PocketChip and Pico-8 I totally fell in love with it and got obsessed with idea of building a portable console myself. So I ordered all the hardware, assembled it, and after some minor struggles with Linux (I'm a total noob in it, used Windows for all my life), managed to finally install PICO-8.

But after launching, all I saw was empty desktop on my little IPS LCD screen. Also I've figured out that the app is running and signal actually transfers to big screen via HDMI.

All I want is to change configs somewhere, to make PICO-8 run on small display. I've googled a lot, I've scrolled through all articles and threads I could find here, on reddit, hardware wikis and no result. (ANd the facts that I'm a newbie in Linux and english isn't my native language also adds its drop of bitterness)

Can someone please provide me with comprehensive advice, with no missing steps. Maybe, a link to some tutorial?

I've read this post https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3174 . But "The screen mirrors the output of the HDMI" is easy thing for its autor but a missing piece of info for me.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Whenever I press the fullscreen button, my cursor flashes between the top-left corner and where it should be, during this time the game doesn't respond to input. (this is on a chromebook).

It used to work fine before the latest update (to bbs I think?) so if there was a way to access that version of the player it would work fine.

1 comment

Cart #roguepony-0 | 2018-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rogue Pony Conspiracy

You are Ponyboy Francis, working on your Pony Farm during the holiday season. Your only job is to help kids of tourists on your ponys, so they can have all the fun in the world riding them.

Everything could be just so peachy... If it weren't for those darn Proud Ponys! This vile group of conspiring ponys wants to ruin your family-run business. So they have sworn to kill every kid you put on them.

You need to rely on your Pony Farm Intel Reports to avoid the traitors and allow for the holiday experience the children deserve - and their parents pay for. How much money can you earn during one season?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #simpleshootervol2_1_2-0 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #simpleshootervol2_1_1-0 | 2018-12-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #simpleshootervol2-0 | 2018-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello!

This is Simple Shooter Vol2! It is a revised and improved version of my first game: Simple Shooter (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31761)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #awfulpong-2 | 2018-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

FACE OFF against the invincible "BADDLE" in the ULTIMATE TEST of POINTLESS MASOCHISM!

hello pico people! i'm NULL VALUE, an internet ghost, imminent zinemaster and purveyor of total garbage.

this is a really bad game, because for some reason i get a kick out of making things that are bad. you can't win. it's an exercise in futility. i really can't recommend it to anyone.

so why the hell am i uploading it here? because it's the first actual game i've ever made. before yesterday, i'd never coded before, because programming was always too terrifying for me to even consider. but the pico-8 really called out to me, it's so cute and compact and it's a really nice and comfortable workspace and i love the cartridges and all the games and everything. so i pushed myself to try to learn, and i made this stupid pong game all by myself.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #presentcollector2-0 | 2018-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Presents Collector 2 is a little game created for the 19th day of the PICO-8 Advent Calendar Project! In this game, you have to collect as much presents you can to save christmass!

Controls

(X) - Jump
(C) - Use Item
(Arrow Key) - Move

Power Up

In the game, you can get some Power Up by collecting presents. When you use one, you lose 1 point (because you use the toy inside the present!). You can see the item you have on the top of the screen!

[0x0]
Add 5 seconds to the timer

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #snowfight-0 | 2018-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Changed the terrible music to less terrible music.
Added a second player!
Added hitbox detect and scores.
You win after 10 hits.

0 comments

Cart #metanoia-0 | 2018-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hi! I'm developing a short little game in PICO-8 and plan to export it as an executable. The problem is, I would like the game to close itself after something happens. I've tried using the 'shutdown', 'exit' and 'stop' functions but none of them closes the window at the end of the game.

Is there even a way to do this? Or perhaps I'm using the previously mentioned functions in a wrong way?

Thanks for the help!

7 comments

Cart #yubgezak-2 | 2018-12-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, there Pico-8 community!

I am very new to Pico-8 and this is my first full game in Pico-8!

It would mean the world to me if you played it!

• pokolo
1 comment

@zep, I had a few questions about the config.txt settings. I tried searching through old posts, but couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask here. Most of the things I could figure out just from knowing what they do in PICO-8. But a few were still mysteries.

• ff_version
  • dummy
  • super_sample
  • voxel_style
  • render_mode
  • exhibition_mode
0 comments

Cart #sanki-2 | 2018-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sanki

It's winter. Let's go sledding. Ride the slope until you stop or crash.

Controls

x/z - confirm
arrow keys - you can turn your sled in the air to pull of some sweet tricks

This is not a game in the traditional sense. There is no score or goal. Just give yourself a minute or two to unwind and enjoy the ride. Happy Holidays!

But what does Sanki mean?

"Sanki" is Polish for "sledding". I grew up in a high-rise suburb of Warsaw. We used to have a lot of snow in winter. Some of my most cherished childhood memories are about going sledding with my friends and family. It was something that brought the entire community together just to have fun and spend time with each other. For some reason this has stuck with me more than the actual Christmas celebrations. It was the inspiration for this little project.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #harbakopu-0 | 2018-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this today after coming up with the idea last night. The goal of this game is to divide a given number by prime numbers. The code is a not great. It's a small game I made in a short span of time...so ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

0 comments

Rock 'n' Roll Helicopter of Death

Whenever a band has no audience they can call the Rock 'n' Roll Helicopter. As a pilot it is your duty to bring everyone to the dance floor then. But be careful, the partying crowd may reward you with drugs. And these might influence you pilot skills. So look out! Otherwise you will become the Rock 'n' Roll Helicopter of death.

CONTROLLS

Arrow Keys: Navigate
Z: Pick up
X: Drop

Cart #rnrhelicopter-0 | 2018-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game was made during two weeks with no prior experience in Pico-8. So I would be glad about any recommendations or code optimizations. I think a lot of things could have been done more efficiently or elegantly.

I'm looking forward for your feedback.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #puduhatedu-0 | 2018-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3D surface demo.

1 comment

Cart #snowballer-0 | 2018-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was enjoying the other Christmas Games, so I decided to make my own.
I copied a whole bunch of code from another work in progress, so it only took me 3 days to make, which I'm pretty happy about!
It's pretty silly.

Also, the code is a complete mess!!
I've only just started to learn how to code.
This is my second released project.
Always down for some constructive feedback or thoughts!

Hope you enjoy!!

1 comment

Cart #dtreasurev1_1-2 | 2018-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Adventure action game where the player has to collect treasures and defeat dragons with shield and sword.

4 comments

Cart #gufitomiza-0 | 2018-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Find your friends with your eyes shut!

2 comments

Cart #sanityclause-0 | 2018-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Z - fire reindeer laser

Cursor keys - move left/right

Presents - check ... Sleigh-bells - check ... Reindeers - check ... Laser canon - check.

Just your average Christmas Eve for Santa, when all is quiet and those thieving present-obsessed aliens begin their marauding spree.

Stop the aliens from stealing the presents. If they get away they'll mutate and you'll never here the end of it. Make sure you catch presents if they fall. Imagine what could happen if all the presents where destroyed ... instant violation of the Insanity Clause!

This is my contribution to the amazing 2018 Pico-8 Advent Calendar, day 17.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #bw_scroll1-0 | 2018-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Take a stroll through the swirly bits of my imagination.

Technical details:
--Image size: 1536X128, 2 bit
--Scanned from a drawing and imported into Pico8.
--Utilizes RLE encoding as well as storage in both strings and sprite page

-electricgryphon

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->