BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #cortex_override-0 | 2024-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After 2.5 years of on-and-off work, I'm thrilled to share my dream PICO-8 game with the community. Cortex Override is a labor of love where I've attempted to blend elements of Zelda and Armored Core into just 32kb. This project pushed me to the limits of the platform and taught me so much about game development.

I personally handled every aspect of the game from scratch: the graphics, music, game engine, and all mechanics. It's been an incredibly rewarding journey, and I'm excited to share it with you all.

This first version is playable and complete, though probably not perfect. I welcome all feedback, comments, and suggestions - they'll help me grow and improve the game further.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #paddixpt-1 | 2024-10-15 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a port of my Paddix game on PICO-8 to Picotron, it has a larger range of fence colors and a
larger range of board sizes.

Paddix is a Pico version of the classic "paper and pen" game Paddocks or Boxes as some know it by.

The Paddix main menu

The Paddix main board

How to play:

Paddix is a 2-player game, each player takes turns building fences between the posts in the main
paddock, once all four sides of a smaller paddock have been built, the paddock is claimed by the
player that placed the fourth fence and a point is awarded.

Once all the paddocks have been claimed, the game is over with the player that has the most points
as the winner.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about de-making Xblast, a linux clone of bomberman that allows up to 6 players at the same time.
Here's a early WIP screenshot :

What I'm worried about now is the 6 players local game play.
On paper, Pico-8 has native support of up to 8 controllers.
I wrote a simple cart that just highlights in red the active buttons of the 8 controllers.
Could anyone confirm that this actually works for up to six controllers before I go further into the dev ?
I'm a bit worried as I've never encountered a pico8 game that plays with more than two controllers at the same time so far.
If you get it it to highlight buttons of players 3 to 7, could you please tell me how you set it up ?

Cart #zuhapiheku-0 | 2024-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

I realized I never uploaded my submission for the GMTK Game Jam 2022 on the PICO-8 BBS, so here's that (whoops!).

Dice Drop Dash

This game was made within a tight ~6 hour period rather than the 50 hour period of the GMTK Game Jam 2022.

• Left/Right: Move Target
  • Down: Drop

When you drop a dice, its value will be subtracted from the value of the highest in the stack, and the difference will grant you points. Aim for the highest score without overflowing the stack!

Cart #dicedropdash-0 | 2024-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I just bought Picotron, and I cannot get either the installed or the zipped version to work on my computer. Anyone else have this problem or a fix?

4 comments

Cart #feparabona-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Self-explanatory! Have fun with this janky little game.

0 comments

This isn't a Picotron specific thing, but you can use ANSI escape codes inside printh to make your logs colorful, which can be helpful with debugging.

To set the color, typically you do \033[38;5;<COLOR>m or \033[38;2;<RED>;<GREEN>;<BLUE>m. This sets the foreground color to a color from this chart or an RGB color code (if your terminal supports truecolor).

This just works in Picotron, but you have to do \27 instead of \033. (This is the escape code for ESC, which is 27 in decimal and 033 in octal.)

However, writing ANSI codes by hand is a pain, so I wrote a function to make inserting these codes easier, using a bbcode-like syntax.

Foreground color can be set with [fg=1][/fg] or [fg=#ff0000][/fg]
Background color can be set with [bg=1][/bg] or [bg=#ff0000][/bg]
Bold can be set with `&lsqb;b]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #fresh_dvd_bounce-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bounce bounce, don't go too fast!

1 comment

3 and a half months ago, I had a silly idea of "What if Celeste was randomized?". So, I started to work on a little proof of concept, and I really liked it, so I kept improving and adding more content to the point that it really should be shown to the world.

So, here it is. Celeste Randomizer. A cart-mod of Celeste-Classic that randomizes the entire game with a variety of in-game settings to select from.

Cart #celeste_randomizer-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Original celeste game made by Maddy Thorson and Noel Berry

Randomizer Options

• Seed customization, allowing for people to play the same seed (maybe for races?)
  • Changing player spawning or even have multiple at once!
  • Berry placement, or none at all
  • Changing the map to be vanilla, random tiles, or even procedural generated!
  • Changing background and spike tile placements
  • Game modes to select from
  • Custom player graphics!
6 comments

bump.lua

(and bump.lua simple demo)

I ported the 'bump.lua' collision library & 'bump.lua simple demo' to Picotron.
Due to the considerate way the library was built, this was actually a pretty easy process :)

bump.lua: https://github.com/kikito/bump.lua
bump.lua simple demo: https://github.com/kikito/bump.lua/tree/simpledemo

Please take note of file 'MIT-LICENSE.txt' found inside the cart. This is not CC.

Cart #bump_simple_demo-1 | 2024-10-10 | Embed ▽ | No License

bump.lua

Lua collision-detection library for axis-aligned rectangles. Its main features are:

• bump.lua only does axis-aligned bounding-box (AABB) collisions.
    If you need anything more complicated than that (circles, polygons, etc.)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #fzf-2 | 2024-10-21 | Embed ▽ | No License

I built a fuzzy finder. You can quickly search for and open files (anything supported by /system/util/open.lua, so folders, lua files, text files, pods, etc.) Additionally, it can follow .loc files to their destination before opening (which open doesn't currently support), and it can execute .p64 files instead of opening them!

The full code and documentation is available here: https://github.com/Rayquaza01/fuzzy-finder-picotron/

This uses swarn/fzy-lua (MIT License) and mergesort.lua from TheAlgorithms/Lua (MIT License)

Changelog

v1.1 - Oct 21, 2024

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #web527-1 | 2024-10-10 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a text-based web browser in Picotron.

I learned about string:something that is vital in parsing from https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=152793.

It is currently v0.6, because it can display <p\> tags but has no search engine and you can only type in links.

Not all sites show anything and it loops text as you scroll down.

• 369369369 for making the first Picotron web browser (and utilizing string parsing that I didn't know about before in your browser)
  • zep for creating Pico-8 and Picotron
0 comments

Cart #salamancer_03-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #hal9000heaven-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I got this idea a week or so ago and got curious if Speako8 could sing. Turns out it can! It's my homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey. The idea is Hal 9000 is now in heaven with Daisy, (who of course was built by Bell Labs) on a bicycle built for two.

Thanks to @bikibird for speako8, making this possible.

2 comments

Cart #thunder_castle-3 | 2024-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Pico-8 remake of the glorious Thunder Castle by INTV Corporation (1985) for Intellivision, with some quality-of-life improvements.

Manual

The vintage game manual is available as PDF file in the Thunder Castle Itch.io page here

TL;DR

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ move
⭕️/❎ [Z,X,C,V] Action button

Touch the flashing creatures (bats, rat and skull) to energize your knight in order to slay all the guardians (Dragon, Sorcerers and Demons). Collect and use at your advantage the magic objects that appear (details in the manual above or in the Pause/Enter menu choose "CHEAT SHEET" for a quick in-game help).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #b9f-7 | 2024-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple fighting game.

---You start on the -9 floor
---Fight your way to the 1 floor.

Control:

Arrow keys to move

Z to dash

X to attack

also support gampad

update:

• add a menu item that can close the flashing effect
  • add a epilepsy warning in the begining
  • change the cover image and the lable image
7 comments

The chungus

Be prepared

Cart #dipopojemo-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #perpetual_calendar-6 | 2024-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A calendar for when you need to know what day of the week any date is on but don't want to leave Pico-8 for some reason

⬆️/⬇️ change year
⬅️/➡️ change month
❎/🅾️ change day
❎+🅾️ toggle day highlight

Allows years between -32767 and 32767 because why not?

Disclaimer: This is NOT a historically accurate calendar. This is a Proleptic Gregorian Calendar, a calendar which gives Gregorian dates to all days, including those before it was introduced on October 15th, 1582. Credit to @RealShadowCaster for pointing this out to me

10 comments

Cart #oscars_adventure-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect coins and race against the clock as you traverse 4 unique levels in Oscar's Adventure! Do you have what it takes to beat the fastest times?

Controls

Action Keyboard
Move Left/Right
Jump Z/C
Crouch Down
Slide Down + X
Pause Enter/P

Pro Tips

• When you jump while performing a slide you can carry the speed of the slide into the air. Try using this technique to reach those hard-to-get coins.
  • Press Pause to access some additional options, like toggling the ghost player and Restarting the level.

• The Gold medal is the fastest time you can view for each level, but there is another hidden medal that's even faster than Gold. Do you have what it takes to beat the Platinum time?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->