BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Please do not play this, not looking for feedback, only test the upload process.

Getting back into game dev after a ~10 year hiatus.

https://soyyomakesgames.wordpress.com

Cart #cucken_v1-0 | 2024-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #horseplay_2bc-0 | 2024-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Is anyone else old enough to remember those little horse racing games where you just watch ASCII or pixel horses race and try to guess who would win, or the horse race games at the carnival with the water guns? I wanted to create something simple like that but I figured someone else already had. Lo and behold, I ran across a BBS cart that was just that kind of basic game. I loved the simple, colorful animated horse sprites in the cart and since it was CC4-BY-NC-SA licensed, I started thinking about how to turn it into a fully fleshed out horse racing game, and that's how Horseplay was born!

In Horseplay, you are a naive, fresh-faced kid heading to the track with $100 and a dream of hitting it big. Place your bets at the gambling window and see if you can take home some big winnings! Keep an eye out for a shifty looking guy at the track. Rumor has it he has some hot tips about the horses, but he seems more than a little unsavory . . .

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Is it possible to change what Wi-Fi your connected to via pico 8 on raspi?
Clarification: have pico 8 itself modify your internet connection

4 comments

Cart #astroxv2-0 | 2024-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Gameplay

• Collect Holy Water to fill your Flasks and Level Up! Each Level will grant a different powerful Blessing. Activating a Blessing will consume all flasks.

Development

My first video game! Coded entirely on PICO-8 in May 2024, while restlessly tuning into the Lazy Devs Shmup PICO-8 Tutorial.

This was also my first PICO-8 project, and it won't be my last.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

I would write my frustrations if the cookies of my login didn't run out and ended up deleting my draft so I'll make it quick before a vein pops; Platform stutters, no matter what I do, at random intervals. There's no cart (it's so annoying I cannot even write code). I've tried to:

• Reinstall older versions.
  • Cleaning the pico8 roaming folder.
  • Nvidia drivers and settings (vsync and such).
  • Change foreground_sleep_ms and host_framerate_control.

This started happening after I upgraded to windows 11, before that I had 0.2.1 and I had no issues.
Please help.

1 comment

Cart #kitamagufu-1 | 2024-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first game in pico-8, spend a lot of time on it.

It's a puzzle game and also a fangame of Bug Fables, I was addicted to it recently

Feature

• Automation Puzzle Solving
  • Some sort of Zach-Like Time and Resource cost

Credit

Programming Art Music(Cover) by me

Bug Fables belongs to Moonsprout

Game Test: Kkaii

Link to itchio: https://feishiko.itch.io/vis-honey-factory

6 comments

Cart #edevini_plantinhas_v2-2 | 2024-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Test Version to Find Bugs

Controls

-Left Mouse: Interact
-Right Mouse: Open Hotbar/Cancel Interaction/ Move Object to Front

Things That Can Be Done

-Plant;
-Water;
-Sell;
-Harvest;
-Remove plant;
-Increase hotbar size;
-Press x to reste money;
OBS.: Fertilizer and Insecticide do nothing for now

The plants were designed to grow from one real day to the next, but we don't have time for that during the test. To simulate the change of day, just reload in the pause menu or press ctrl+r.

0 comments

Cart #exorcistgame0-1 | 2024-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Posting for feedback on my game in early development. The concept/goal is to game-ify the performance of an exorcism. This version is the first attempt I ran with, and I'm already itching to explore other options for what this game could be, but getting kind of lost. I almost see it becoming a more undertale style turn-based battle with real time events. There's a lot of questions to answer. What ways could the demonic force challenge or fight the player? What's it mean mechanically to exorcise and maybe then fight the demon? Could faith as a resource come in to play? Adding horror elements? Ditch the three lives and use a health system? I'd love to get your thoughts. Thanks.

1 comment

Cart #cave_of_the_crown-5 | 2024-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Fight off waves of enemies and gain an upgrade after each wave.

I made this in about a month and was very inspired by the combat of Hollow Knight (this is essentially my version of the Colosseum of Fools from it).

Controls + Instructions

Controller works too, O and X are just some of the main 4 buttons.

move---⬅️/➡️
jump---🅾️
slash---❎
heal---hold ⬇️
ability---tap 🅾️+❎ at same time (+ ⬆️/⬇️ for some abilities)

You can hold the up/down arrow keys while slashing to direct it up or down, this can be done in mid air and you can bounce of enemies head if you slash down on their heads (aka, pogoing).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #amazingcircle-1 | 2024-06-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #pogegibbu-0 | 2024-06-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Space Collector

Cart #spacecol_01-0 | 2024-06-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a small twist on Space Invaders game, my first Pico-8 completed game, and a submission to the PP Jam #5

Whole game and all it's content was created during the jam (two days).

How to play:

Use arrows to move your ship and X button to shoot
Release gems by destroying robots which hold them (be careful not to destroy gems!)
Collect falling gems to score points
Avoid robots' attacks and don't get killed!

0 comments

Cart #towerdefense-2 | 2024-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Not sure if anyone else is seeing the same thing, but both of the devices (Linux laptop, RGB30) I use for PICO-8 0.2.6b, the "New" and "Work In Progress" lists in Splore don't seem to update to match the lists on the BBS. I happened to notice when trying to load my new game on my RGB30 via Splore, but there are a couple of other things I'm not seeing either. Just a rough estimate from looking at the timestamps, this seems to affect the previous 12 hours from the time of this post. My internet connection on both devices is fine and I'm not getting a "Could not connect to BBS" message, it just seems stuck in the past. Not sure if this affects any other parts of Splore. The Featured list does match the one here, but I'm not sure when that was last updated so it could be affecting that too.

Is anyone else seeing the same behavior? I don't think this is just me, but I don't have any way to confirm.

EDIT: Someone just posted a new cart, and that does show up, but the stuff that was missing is still missing, so I'm really not sure what's happening.

3 comments

Cart #wordzapper_2bc-2 | 2024-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Word Zapper for PICO-8 is a mostly faithful recreation of the Atari 2600 game Word Zapper. The original game was published in 1982 by U.S. Games, under their Vidtec label. Fun fact: U.S. Games was owned by Quaker Oats, who bought the company to compete with Parker Brothers, owned at the time by rival cereal company General Mills. Yes, the 80s were a crazy time when cereal companies owned video game companies! Word Zapper was and is one of my favorite games for the 2600 - I even have the actual cartridge. Sadly, Parker Brothers had Frogger and The Empire Strikes Back and won the cereal company video game wars. U.S. Games was shuttered by Quaker Oats in 1983, a year after it was acquired.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #battlecubes-0 | 2024-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #siduzufaze-0 | 2024-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Hi everybody!

I am keeping a Google Drive Folder with all Pico-8 featured carts up to now, so I can put them in a handheld and explore what the community has been up to. I hope this is useful!

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-l8jHacFznZ3jldSRkcU5oTfiEKOtIv6?usp=sharing

0 comments

Cart #jmutuyupe-0 | 2024-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My wife and I held a week-long "CPU Design Camp" for 10-year-olds. Turing Tumble, Spintronics, and Turing Complete were all fantastic teaching aids, but nothing came close to the popularity of PICO-8. Thanks a lot!

We built this cart together, mostly on the first and last days. The kids are responsible for the entire design and most of the graphics and music. I wrote the code while they were shouting feature requests at me non-stop. A surprisingly effective task management method!

The collision detection code that works nicely is based on Celeste ("move_x"/"move_y"). I should have copied the hitbox handling too because what I cooked up is a mess. 😅

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->