BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #jack_vs_zombies-1 | 2024-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Jack vs Zombies is a beat'em up game I have been working on the last several months.
The basic mechanics and animations are in place, so I thought it would be a good time to start getting some feedback on the game-play while I continue to work on the other aspects of the game.

So this is my call to action: If you ave a few minutes to spare, please try the game and give me your thoughts!

Update 2024-08-09

Following feedback from folks over on reddit I have worked on changing the animation system to get more freedom of sprite size as well as try to give more impact and feedback when hitting enemies.

As part of my efforts to improve combat, I also implemented a very basic combo system. By pressing the X button at the end of the attack animation, the next phase in the combo will begin; this will allow the player to chain up to 3 attacks increasing in damage and ending in an uppercut that will knock back enemies.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I created this cartridge to explore how the levels in Dr. Mario (NES) are generated. I also created a small writeup of the algorithm on my blog. Enjoy!

LEFT/RIGHT: choose seed digit/level number
UP/DOWN: change chosen value
X: generate level with chosen seed
Z: generate level with "curr seed" (the current seed after this level was generated)

1 comment

Cart #jumper_boy_adventure-0 | 2024-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first game as such (the others were tests) and this game is a tribute to Mario Bross, Jumper Boy Adventure is a platform game where you are Jumper Boy and you have to rescue Jumper Girl, overcoming 4 stages or worlds, meadow, winter, brick or cave and a castle where they have Jumper Girl, The posters will guide you, in addition to having coins, passes, enemies like blot, blot is a grumpy enemy, not friendly at all, then we have lis, it's a plant, umm, pvz?, This one is cold, and sneezes so much that it throws a projectile, the third enemy is a, jumper boy in red?, I don't know what it is, you must overcome different obstacles that remember to stop because, the yellow flowers hide secrets, specifically, 4 stars, good adventurous supply

2 comments

Cart #drumachine-0 | 2024-06-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little 16-step sequencer, with simple sfx sounds.
Each row of instruments uses a channel.

Select an instrument and place steps on the 4x4 buttons grid.
The bottom buttons add some functionality (try :) )

I am new to this, this was fun to make and it's wacky sounding ^^

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO92Fa27UOA[/youtube]

0 comments

Cart #liberation_animale_v002-0 | 2024-06-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello. I wanted to learn how to code by creating an exploration game where the goal is to open cages and share messages that make people question speciesism. I couldn't find any Lua courses in French, so I got demotivated. Besides, the game is just about keys and doors. I hoped to include areas with mini-games.
I wanted a final boss to be a giant butcher.
I'm posting this without really knowing why.

If you want to do something with it. Please, the goal is not to kill, but to liberate.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your amazing games on Pico 8.

l
0 comments

I was tinkering around with a code snippet by @dw817 and I accidentally created a neat graphic effect while the O/X buttons are pressed for opening/closing the "iris"...

0 comments

Cart #zamarazida-0 | 2024-06-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is Bytebeat that uses PCM function.

0 comments

Cart #yojanobidu-0 | 2024-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Gratitude is extended to Mboffin, SpaceCat, and Gruber for their contributions to Pico-8 learning experiments.

0 comments

Cart #up_and_away-0 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Up and Away

Take to the skies and explore a tiny world from the basket of your hot air balloon.

Play as Lucy, a young adventurer on a journey to visit her grandma on a distant island in the clouds.

Navigate the wind currents from island to island, meeting colourful locals along the way as you drift towards your destination in this short, relaxing, atmospheric game.

How to Play

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Cart #trolldecker_beamclash-0 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BEAM CLASH - A LIGHT CYCLES STYLE 2-PLAYER GAME

This is my first attempt at a PICO-8 game, and in fact my first full project with Lua altogether.

It's a simple Light Cycles type game, in that the goal is to not crash into the walls or either trail, and I tried to be fancy by having a running starfield in the background (Not really an original idea, if I'm honest, I've seen it in an Amiga light cycles game years ago).

The Rules

• Don't crash into a wall or either trail (That's the yellow or blue lines. Either way, both hurt!)
  • The survivor gains a point.
  • If both players crash at the same time, that's a draw and nobody gets a point. :(
  • The first to 5 points is the winner! Sadly, you don't get a brand new car or Caribbean holiday.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Remember those little programs which were called “desktop mascots”?
They appeared as small animated images of characters, doing not much, but standing/sitting there to keep you company. They weren’t traditional virtual pets, as they don’t need direct care.

Has anyone thought of (or has already done) this concept in PICO8? It could be like the classic Neko software, as said character could move around the screen randomly on its own or by the user’s input.

4 comments

i've tried to make a function that scales and offsets sprites to simulate a camera zoom. The way it works is by pressing z and x will increase or decrease the pixel size, each object has x and y values, and sx and sy which are scaled and offset based on the pixel size value.

in this demo the black cats are based on the x and y values, the blue cats are based on the sx and sy values. The scaled blue cats movement is very jittery, especially when accelerating and decelerating, the non scaled black cats are not jittery.

So I think the controls are changing the x and y values correctly, and there isn't a problem with the camera being out of sync, it must be a problem with getting the sx and sy values from my x and y ones. Looking at it, it is like they are not moving in unison, instead the movement is rippling through the objects one by one.

it is the scale_x and scale_y functions that create the sx and sy, and these functions are called in the 'move' function

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

thanks

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #add_town-3 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Add Town

Add Town is a sliding tile puzzle game with funny graphics.

Combine same tiles to create new ones.

Don't run out of space and get as far as you can.

Controls:

• Up,Down,Left,Right - slide tiles

• Z - exit to title

• Enter - Menu

Features:

• Game is saved automatically every turn, so feel free to leave it anytime. All the progress including your score will be saved.

• If you want to capture your progress you can make a screenshot from the menu.

• You can change wiggle amount of tiles or add camera shake in the menu.

Special Thanks:

This is my first ever actual game and I'm pretty exited about it! I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made so many youtube tutorials and articles on game development and especially Pico-8! You're making an incredible job and It's been a great help for me in this journey of learning game development!

12 comments

WIP

Cart #pejasotisu-0 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #vangamejam-0 | 2024-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game using PICO8.

Game created for a gamejam

1 comment

Cart #oxidizedridgenerf-0 | 2024-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

As we’re about to be in the middle of 2024 very soon, I’m thinking about doing some cutesy journaling pages within Pico8 slides…
Here’s an example of a screenwide “washi tape” (16 by 128) done on Procreate :3

2 comments

Cart #oxidizedridge-0 | 2024-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

punishing mod 4 cc

2 comments

Cart #girubohasi-0 | 2024-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is just some unimportant cart.. only here for testing whether pico 8 actually applied a copy screen overlay when printing to clip and wether that could be disabled as the intention is to not overwrite the actual clip.. and just use stat 4. to recall the data back when the correct cart has been loaded.

0 comments

Cart #celeste_spring-0 | 2024-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I know it's summer rn.

Anyway, Hi!

This is the first installment of a series of 5 mods in total. It's loosely inspired by Glyph but it has lore. wait I think Glyph has lore. Oh well.

Content

There are 12 berries for you to collect, and the gameplay is very easy, beginner-level even. It will ramp up slightly in the mod but the difficulty will spike more in the later installments.

Credits

I made all the music, grass tiles (with some help from howf) and gameplay. i may upload an orchestral version of the first track heard during gameplay too, so look out for that.

Shoutouts to Howf (formerly known as Cannon) for helping me install the background and letting me use his wooden tiles. Also, thanks to

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->