Cart #trolldecker_beamclash-0 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BEAM CLASH - A LIGHT CYCLES STYLE 2-PLAYER GAME

This is my first attempt at a PICO-8 game, and in fact my first full project with Lua altogether.

It's a simple Light Cycles type game, in that the goal is to not crash into the walls or either trail, and I tried to be fancy by having a running starfield in the background (Not really an original idea, if I'm honest, I've seen it in an Amiga light cycles game years ago).

The Rules

• Don't crash into a wall or either trail (That's the yellow or blue lines. Either way, both hurt!)
  • The survivor gains a point.
  • If both players crash at the same time, that's a draw and nobody gets a point. :(
  • The first to 5 points is the winner! Sadly, you don't get a brand new car or Caribbean holiday.

Behind the Scenes

I probably overshot myself by making this my first game, admittedly. In lieu of a layer system, I used the spritesheet as the arena layer, where the cycle lines were drawn, allowing me to maintain the moving starfield without losing those lines or having to work out how to redraw them. It basically means I can't use sprites, but then the nature of this game doesn't really demand them. Probably not the best way to do it, but it's how I figured it out. ^_^'

The controls

UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT - Change direction (WARNING: pressing the opposite of your current direction is not a good idea!)
O - UI functions (Start the game, start a new round, return to title after the game is over.)

TODO?

• A prettier title screen, somehow.
  • Maybe preventing players from reversing into themselves.
  • Some swanky effects.
  • AI for Player 2.
  • Configurable score limit.
  • Music? O_O
P#150471 2024-06-26 21:55

It's nice to see Light Cycles make its way to PICO-8. Congrats on the first game! Nice job!

P#150530 2024-06-28 03:41

Thanks. 🙂

It seems I'm not the first to attempt Light Cycles, though. That said, what's the harm in giving it a shot myself? 🤔

P#150545 2024-06-28 10:16

[Please log in to post a comment]