BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #jman64-0 | 2024-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #airship-0 | 2024-06-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey, so I'm back with another visual...

so I made this to practice animating tiles (the woman's hair) and to practice trigonometry in PICO-8.

Enjoy!

2 comments

A Tiny Intro, made at my first demo party, NOVA (UK). :-)

256b ROM and more info here:
https://github.com/ace-dent/demo-toybox/tree/main/NOVA2024

Cart #print_nova-0 | 2024-06-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #slots_o_stickers-0 | 2023-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Slots-O-Stickers

Made a lil slot machine / sticker collecting game :)
This was a Christmas gift for my partner but I figure you all might enjoy it was well <3
[8x8]

6 comments

On all threads containing an embedded cart, I am unable to see the Code by clicking Code and I see a horizontal scrolling bar (that does nothing) instead.

I can still download the .p8.png fortunately (and that's required to also get data/resources anyway) but sometimes I just want to have a peek at some algo before deciding to dive deeper or not.

1 comment

Cart #mini_mancala-3 | 2024-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just wanted to share my second PICO-8 game. I've been chipping away at this slowly for the last few months and was inspired this week to finally finish it!

Play against a friend via pass-and-play or challenge the computer. For fun, you can even pit two computer players against each another. Use it as the world's slowest coin-tossing machine! :)

3 comments

Cart #loom-2 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Loom 1.2

A Laser-packed game, how long can you survive?
This game was made in two days. If anyone wants to make some good music then please do so, thanks.
You can pause to go to clean mode or enable quick death. Also you can reset your highscore.
My best is 65 seconds. I just updated the game, is it better with the more askew lasers?

Stages

Stages will be added to the game the more score you get. if you are at the very beginning, its easy.
But the longer you survive, the more things will be added to the game to make it harder.

• Just lasers

• Aim Lasers

• Super Lasers & even more Aim Lasers

• Cluster drop-Lasers & even even more Aim Lasers

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

this game will come soon

0 comments

Cart #woodworm-0 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hiya! I've been working on this little puzzle game for a few months and its finally done!

Thanks to @Trog for the lovely font, and everyone who playtested and/or gave feedback.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy! 🐛

37 comments

Version 0.9: monster graphics!

Cart #teddblue_monv9-0 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

features

• Mons in save data
  • Image decompression system added
    • based off the system used in the gen 1 and 2 pokemon games with some changes to better fit pico-8
  • Display mons in battle mode
  • mon info menu system
    • view mons
    • view stats, moves, info
    • change mon placement
  • mons appear on start menu
    • i thought it would be a fun way to show off all the cool monsters that are in the game so far
    • you cant catch all of the ones shown
  • cleanup and token saving measures

story time

Hello! this update came out really fast as far as this major feature being added. this is because i had been working on this part in a separate project as i was making the rest of the engine. It loads an image compressed into a string. there are some improvements i wouldve wanted to make but it didnt seem worth the token cost. anyways it works now. this was a major feature that i had to have in the game for it to be worth the challenge.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

So I'm trying to use two sprite sheets per frame in my game using the new high memory video mapping. at the start of the game the video memory is moved to 0x8000. there are special sprites that are loaded from a string into 0xa0. What im trying to do is quickly switch to 0xa0, load/draw the compressed sprite, then switch back to the 0x80 sprite sheet. for some reason loading the sprite into 0xa0 overwrites sprites at the same position in 0x80, which is my main issue here. if anyone has advice or help id appreciate, i understand its a new feature so its not as well documented just yet.

copying sprites from video memory to 0x8000 (this is done in _init):

memcpy(0x8000,0x0,0x2000)
poke(0x5f54,0x80)
poke(0x5f5c,255)

loading sprite data from string into 0xa000 (this is called sometimes during _update within a decoding function):

poke(0x5f54,0xa0) --load 0xa000 memory
--buncha stuff that loads decompressed sprite
for i=0,4096do
	sset(slot*64+i%64,64+i\64,0)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=149955#p)
5 comments

Cart #splode_em_up-2 | 2024-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Splode 'Em Up

Destroy rascally missiles n' bombs with incredibly powerful countermeasures: balloons! Balloons 'splode enemies on impact, but not only that, each different color balloon has a unique special ability.

Explosition

You play Recty, a sentient rectangle with an incredible ability to spawn balloons ad infinitum. Recty hates missiles n' bombs and likes to 'splode as many as possible all the time. It's literally all he ever does.

Gameplay

• Move Recty (the rectangle at the bottom of the screen) left and right.
  • Release balloons to try and hit the missiles n' bombs. You can only have one balloon out at a time.
  • While you have a balloon, you can pivot it left or right, or even have it float up more quickly.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #kmojiworo-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's a weird little tool that scribbles!

That's it!

0 comments

Cart #gitahosada-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #trilateral-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

The Question

Hello everyone,

I am ludicrously close to finishing the engine for my game, but some physics equations have me stuck. Here is what I'm trying to achieve:

• The players are effectively nodes that can switch between being pendulum bobs and fulcrums. One can be anchored to serve as a fulcrum while the other swings. If both are anchored, neither moves. If both try to un-anchor themselves, they fall.
  • In order to let the players navigate the playfield, I want the swing of a pendulum bob to increase bit by bit. (This will let players climb the playfield by swinging upward instead of just descending.)
  • Once a bob makes a full loop around the fulcrum, I want it to continue in a circle at a more-or-less consistent speed.

With the help of this math writeup, I managed to assemble a simplified set of physics variables and equations that do an okay job of simulating momentum and creating a non-degrading swing (i.e., the swing distance never shrinks due to friction). But I haven't figured out how to make the desired increase in swing distance happen. I'm sure it's a single value or sign that I haven't identified.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #kabuto-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Trying out the mechanics for a Kabuto Sumo type game

0 comments

Cart #celestetextmod-0 | 2024-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A funky little texture mod for Celeste. Mod by Skyler Clark.

2 comments

Cart #vexor-1 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Vexor is a cute lil shmup I made!

Enojoy! :)

Changelog:
-Fixed slow down
-Fixed phantom plane glitch

9 comments

I made a function to draw an equilateral triangle that I could animate:

function triangle(_x,_y,_size,_angle,_clr)
 for i=0,2 do
  local _offset=.33*i
  local _x1=_x+(cos(_angle+_offset)*_size)
  local _y1=_y+(sin(_angle+_offset)*_size)
 	line(_x1,_y1,_clr+i)
 end	
end

Pico 8 does something weird when I try to draw 2 triangles made out of lines:

I can draw each triangle just fine, but when I put the triangle() function twice it weirdly connects the triangles.

I have no idea why it does that, I could use some help.

here's the full code

function _init()

end

function _update()

end

function _draw()
 cls()
	triangle(64,64,30,0.255,8)
	triangle(64,64,30,0.255+0.5,12)
end

function triangle(_x,_y,_size,_angle,_clr)
 for i=0,2 do
  local _offset=.33*i
  local _x1=_x+(cos(_angle+_offset)*_size)
  local _y1=_y+(sin(_angle+_offset)*_size)
 	line(_x1,_y1,_clr+i)
 end	
end
1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->