BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I've been having issues getting custom buttons for my controller working on RetroPie. I usually prefer having the O button on the bottom and the X button to the right and that's what it is on a desktop but they are flipped on the RetroPie. I've been following a few tutorials and they all say to make a sdl_controllers.txt file and edit it from there but it doesn't look like it changes the controls. I put them all to the same button and the controls were the same as usual. Has anyone been able to change the buttons?

9 comments

Cart #wwodorfe-0 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first PICO-8 game.
Source: https://github.com/jwnukoski/PICO-8-Workspace/tree/main/shmup

0 comments

Cart #yihudekafu-0 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the game I am currently working on for a game jam!

0 comments

Cart #little_space_shooter-0 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a little first pico-8 game !

3 comments

Cart #zuhesofeye-0 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect coins. As many as you can. This is my first game. I tried to clone the game from the captcha.

0 comments

Cart #wutewuwiho-1 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

hi @zep! This cart should not error, but it does (pico8 0.2.6b / linux)

-- wrap everything in func _init to fix it
--function _init()

--uncomment this to fix it
--poke(0,0)

--make this local to fix it
coro = cocreate(function()
  -- uncomment this to fix it
-- local x=1
  for i=0,32000 do
    -- flr() is arbitary here; it's
    -- just a func that should
    -- return only one value
    local rets = pack(flr(i))
    if #rets~=1 then
      local str="flr rvals:"
      for i,v in ipairs(rets) do
        str ..= "\n\t"..i..": "..tostr(v)
      end
      str ..="\nstat(1): "..stat(1)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=149328#p)
1 comment

Cart #redy-0 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are RedGuy.
Collect mushrooms to dash [Z].
You can dash into enemies to give yourself some room.

Survive.

3 comments

blog post for early development process: https://medium.com/@getpexlabs/pex-labs-building-my-own-game-console-for-pico-8-48a87d7cd404

Hey all! I'm working on a handheld console for PICO-8 with support for physical cartridges! If you like what you are seeing you can join the waitlist (https://pex-labs.com/) and hop on our discord (https://discord.gg/KzFn8Vb4qw) to stay updated on development!

• pinosaur
3 comments

Cart #jawujekobu-0 | 2024-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

This is the editor for Tiny Hawk!: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=142536

Cart #tinyhawk_editor-1 | 2024-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Instructions

This is very much a developer tool and not optimized for ease of use!! However, these are the controls...

Number keys 1,2,3,4,5,6: Change tile groups. 1 = basic blocks, 2 = ramps, 3 = rails, 4 = quarter pipes, 5 = special objects, 6 = floor decorations

LEFT CLICK to place a tile
RIGHT CLICK to switch tiles within the current tile group
SCROLL WHEEL = change tile height
Q = rotate a tile
D = delete a tile
E = switch from edit to play mode, or vice-versa
S = save the level file to YOUR CLIPBOARD (web version requires you to also press ctrl-C afterwards), then please don't forget to paste it somewhere like a notepad document if you want to save it permanently

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #picout8-23 | 2024-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello there, fellow gamer! Thank you for coming to try out my first official Pico-8 release. Picout is reminiscent of the old-school Breakout game, but a little more fast-paced and with a colorful, modern twist.

Controls

Left/Right - move paddle
X button/keyboard X - continue
O button/keyboard C - activate magnet

Tips

The magnet is most powerful when positioned directly under the ball. Use it to squeeze the ball into a tight space, or to drag the ball down into a cluster of bricks.

Go for the gold! The more bricks you break before the ball hits your paddle, the more points you'll earn for each brick. Legend says if you get 15 or more in a row, something explosive could happen...

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Is it possible to fill in vector graphics?

Is there a way to fill in something like this bird shape?
It is currently drawn using line().

Cart #vector_bird-0 | 2024-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

9 comments

Cart #tinyhawk-2 | 2024-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLS

Left/Right: Turn

X: Ollie. Hold to accelerate, release to ollie (jump)

Down: Slow down

Up: Hold to transfer over a quarter-pipe. (In rare cases, you can also use it to accelerate but not prepare an ollie)

Z/C: Trick. Press to grind a rail or ledge, use directional keys to do various tricks! See this trick list at any time in the menu during gameplay.

There are more tricks than this... can you find them all?

HOW TO PLAY

If you've played the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series then you'll already know what to do - choose a level in the menu and try to complete all the goals! The goals are about getting a certain score, or getting a certain score in a short combo, or doing a certain trick over a gap.

Hold X to accelerate and then release it to Ollie. Use the "O" key (usually Z or C on a keyboard) to do tricks. Try pressing it before landing on a rail or edge to grind, or press a directional button before pressing the trick key to do a flip trick or grab trick in the air!

The most important trick to learn for doing longer combos and getting more points is the manual - press up, down before landing and you will continue your combo. You can extend your combo indefinitely as long as you can balance and do manuals between other tricks!

THANKS

MUSIC: Maple: https://maple.pet/

MUSIC: Wasiknighit: https://wasiknighit.itch.io/

PLAYTESTING: maple, nickpage

​BONUS

​​Level editor: very soon!

13 comments

Cart #summit_1-0 | 2024-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

7 comments

Cart #cosmomambo-3 | 2024-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #walktothespot-0 | 2024-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is Walk To The Spot. A game where you (our glorious hero)... walk to the spot. And then you walk to the next one. And the next one. Until the random explosions kill you.

The more spots you walk to, the higher your score. Can you get the new high score? There is only one way to find out...

You've got to walk to the spot!

Controls

You move around with the d-pad.

After "game over" you press X to play again.

Advanced Strategies

• Avoid explosions
  • Keep walking to the spot
  • Walk diagonal to move faster
  • Play it so much that you start walking to the spot IRL
  • Have fun
  • Walk to the spot

Credits

Brian Knapp (me) - I made this.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #trollinoid-0 | 2024-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(Sorry for double posting, i cant delete blog post)
--A little off-topic:

Greetings, great people! Some of you might remember that i made a post crying about how i dont get 3d. Some of you gave me a lot of great advise, which i followed. Howerver, i still could get it really until near current time. So here it is, somewhat modified Zep's dots3d demo. Maybe i be not that smart anyway.

--somewhat interesting part of text:

This tiny engine can render a 8x8x2 dots figure, it takes what to draw from sprite 001, thought depth isn't a thing you can change per-sprite. Right now there is a trollface, if you didnt notice.

--what you can do with it:

draw youself a 3d dots figure by changing sprite 001. i would love to see anything being done with it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #spacegrappler-0 | 2024-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Im pretty behind on pico 8 versions so i just want to know how can i update pico 8 in a way where ill keep all of the work ive done. Thanks!

3 comments

Cart #celtex21452-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->