BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Im pretty behind on pico 8 versions so i just want to know how can i update pico 8 in a way where ill keep all of the work ive done. Thanks!

3 comments

Cart #celtex21452-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #test_tinted-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is some work I did on creating some more fancier looking shadows, which could either be a rectangle version (thanks to @2darray for extra help on that) or using any shaped size or coloured sprite to use as a mask for the shadow effect.

I'm sure with using some additional math and tline you could probably create a lovely dynamic lighting effect with it too.

Press X or C/Z to see the other two tinting types in action. CTRL+P to see the performance hits.

0 comments

Cart #smoothielovers-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it's a 2 players only game with one button each to play.

One player use buttons X or C and the other the arrow keys.

This game is inspired by Chiritorie on wario ware inc. on GBA.

2 comments

Cart #supasnek-3 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

have fun! :D

0 comments

Cart #pioupiou-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Piou Piou Piou is a two player shooter, use controller for a better experience.
Blue player can only shot blue ennemies and beeing shoot by blue bullet.
Green player can only shot green ennemies and beeing shoot by green bullet.

0 comments

Cart #conways_game_of_life-2 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's my try on John Conway's Game of Life. If you don't know what it is, please read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

I tried my best to make it fast enough and not overload pico 8, which caused some inconveniences such as an invisible cursor. But it is anyway much fun to use and add life on the run. So idk, i'm open for any suggestions on how to improve it!

--Controls:
Press space bar or X button to start or stop life generation.
Press Z to delete all life on the screen

You may use the mouse to add life by simply clicking left mouse button or delete it by pressing right button. By default it will add just a single life pixel, but you can change it to different patterns using these characters on the keyboard:

• 0 - just a singe life pixel
  • 1 - block

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Super Mario Bros. Starman Theme REMIX

(Credits to Nintendo)

While editing Jelpi to be a mario-reminisced game, I had the idea to make the Star/Starman theme from the original 1985 Super Mario Bros.

I also made the song as if it were in Jelpi, although to be honest I don't really see the comparison well as I had imagined the sound would've.

Anyways, enough of my talking. Here's the song itself:

[sfx]

You're free to use this, but please give credit if you do.

0 comments

Cart #yuru_lumberjack_demake-0 | 2024-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

LumberJack Demake

A demake of Telegram's LumberJack game. Chop wood as fast as you can, but watch out for those branches!

Controls

Default configuration

• Left Arrow or 🇴(Z): Chop left
  • Right Arrow or 🇽(X): Chop right

If you are playing on a console where the keys positions are swapped, you can press 🇽(X) in the main menu to swap to the below configuration:

Swapped configuration

• Left Arrow or 🇽(X): Chop left
  • Right Arrow or 🇴(Z): Chop right

Special Notes

My first cart, hooray!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #awesomepossum-6 | 2024-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Work in progress prototyping:

• procedural animation
  • drawing player in multiple parts,
  • brawler style level
  • smashing things
0 comments

I wanted to know if there was a way to export games from pico-8 splore favorites into p8.html and .js form. I've had some bad weather and just wanted to know so I can play them offline some.

8 comments

Cart #moonbreak_jam_v1-0 | 2024-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Over the last month I worked on a little Pikmin-inspired game for the 21st Eggplant Podcast game jam. What I ended up with is a fun little toy where you explore a level looking for three parts of a ship needed to escape a collapsing moon.

Ultimately I didn't end up delivering on a lot of the planned features or narrative that I had in mind, but I'm happy with the end result. I developed portions of the game live on Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/kevinmakesgames) and YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/@kevinmakesgames/streams). I regularly committed and pushed all of the project files to Github (https://github.com/kevinthompson/moonbreak-p8/) along the way.

I developed this in part as a test of the object-oriented approach I've been refining in PICO-8. In the end I still came pretty close to the token and compressed size limits so I still have work to do optimizing my OOP approach (or you know... admit defeat it and write more data/function-oriented code).

7 comments

Cart #euclideanrhythmgen-1 | 2024-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's a little machine that generates Euclidean Rhythm.
You may read more about Euclidean Rhythm here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_rhythm

--controls
Press play button on the left bottom part of the machine to play the sequence.
You may find two knobs on the bottom right part of the machine. The left knob changes the amount of steps in the sequence. The right knob changes the amount of euclidean triggers.
You may also change the speed if the sequence by pressing up and down arrows. The speed is shown in BPM on the top right corner of the screen.

I was interested in creating euclidean generator in Pico 8, so this cart is just an example. Hope you'll find it interesting.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #kadoyanfirework2-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press X to launch fireworks.

[UPDATED] More fireworks.

2 comments

PixelBasket

A singleplayer basketball game

Cart #pixelbakset-0 | 2024-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Game objective

Get as many points as possible before time runs out. Take advantage of throws from different scoring zones. Jump during throws and to get the ball.

Controls

• Movement: arrows
  • Jump: [z]
  • Throw: [x] (the longer you hold, the harder you throw)

Main game music was created based on beat of RBI Baseball: Nobody On Base (sequenced by Sivak Drac) and with Denote tool.

1 comment

Cart #sherbetshuffle-2 | 2024-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sherbet Shuffle was a quick game I threw together this weekend inspired by the Arcade Paradise mini-game Stack Overflow.

Match all the same flavor ice cream together in two different game modes. Casual mode has no timer, you can reshuffle the puzzle with the new button if you get yourself stuck with no penalty, and it's just there to be a relaxing time. Career mode starts you with 180 seconds, and you gain a few seconds every time you make a match of 4. If you get yourself stuck you can reshuffle the puzzle with a 10 second penalty, so it is recommended that you start with Casual mode until you know how the puzzles work.

Every puzzle is possible, as you have two hands that can each grab a scoop of ice cream, but since these scoops can only be placed on top of the same flavor or an empty cone, you can get yourself stuck if you aren't paying attention, and will need to reshuffle the puzzle. You can figure out some nifty tricks since you can grab two different scoops, and you can maneuver yourself across some sticky situations.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

HeadKnight

Defenders of the kingdom

Cart #headknight03-0 | 2024-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the title of my little game project I've been working for a while, even as it's development has slowed down due to life events it still continuing and I'm happy to announce I'm releasing a small demo of the game.

It's a simple arena horde 2d game where you kill enough monsters to proceed to the next horde until the boss horde.
Currently there's only 1 boss, a couple hordes and an infinite mode, with 5 playable characters, 3 enemies and 2 items.

Planned features are coop multiplayer, dialogues between characters and the bosses, a full story, more enemies and bosses and much more.

Controls:

Left-Right : direct the player left and right

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

This is yet another implementation of snake and my first pico8 cartridge. I've shamelessly "borrowed" some of the code from nemo_dev's nemosnake for the particle effects. Thanks nemo_dev! It could probably use a bit more polish, but I need to let this one go and move on.

Cart #simplesnake-0 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Feedback is welcome. :)

1 comment

Cart #rudodumabo-0 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Stonekeep's Dungeon is a simple Dungeon Crawler inspired by first Wizardry and its clones.

Any comments, criticisms or ideas are welcome :)

release 1.1.10 (2024-08-15)

• tweaked screen navigation and save points

Cart #snake_pdung-48 | 2024-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

release 1.1.9 (2024-08-13)

• maximum health point are at least 1
  • add remaining mana point to spell screen
  • fix recruit screen
  • tweaked default party

release 1.1.8 (2024-08-13)

• fix regression bug in combat
  • fix regression bug in item creation
  • code optimization