BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hi all, here's a tutorial for creating a clone of the game 'Tron' (click the image below):

The code can be found below, or on GitHub

Cart #tron_clone-0 | 2024-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hi all, here's a tutorial for creating circular movement, including 'wavy' and circular text (click the image below):

The code can be found below, or on GitHub

Cart #circular_movement-0 | 2024-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #crumbling_crypt-0 | 2024-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

How to play:

Arrows to move, X to start. You can step twice, before most monsters stepping once. There are exceptions to this rule.

Find Swords and Shields to help you overcome the enemy horde!

Search the key, uncover where the trapdoor is, and progress further to grab the McGuffin.

Devlogs:

If you are interested in game development articles, code breakdowns and alikes, I try to document all my projects over at my Ko-fi Page, free to read!

https://github.com/Achie72/kofi-articles

The cart is fully commented out, feel free to download and check things if you are interested in the inner workings.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #mcg_agntsekr_1_02-1 | 2024-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Agent Seeker

A PICO-8 Spy Hunter demake/remake/homage

Overview

Agent Seeker is a fast-paced, reflex-taxing game built in the style of the original Spy Hunter, one of the greatest video games ever created. [no citation needed]

Drive your heavily-customized luxury sports car down an endless roadway, protecting innocent motorists from a rogue's gallery of menacing enemy agents. Use machine guns, oil slicks, smoke screens, flamethrowers, and armor-piercing cannons to stop as many enemy agents as you can!

Controls

Arrow keys/D-Pad: Drive (l/r to steer, up for gas, down for brake)
Z key / O button: fire machine guns (front-facing, infinite ammunition)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY (PSE) - SEIZURE WARNING FLICKERING IMAGES!

Just finished a write-up on this but managed to lose it somehow, so here's the short version.

Trying to write a couple of my own Triangle Fill algorithms before digging into any of the ideas presenting in this thread:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31478

One of the algorithms I tried poorly "borrows" ideas from Brenesenham's Line Drawing Algorithm found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresenham%27s_line_algorithm

2 comments

Cart #undertalefight-0 | 2024-04-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I am working on a recreation of undertale's fight system in Pico-8.
There are a lot of issues with this project and many parts of it are incomplete, sooooo...

1 comment

The Jelpi demo included with PICO-8, but with a cheat menu that can do some pretty funny stuff.

Cart #kogasobiro-0 | 2024-04-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cheats

Page 1:

• RESTART LEVEL: Restarts the current level. Unmodified from the original version.
  • THANOS SNAP: Activates the glitch mushroom effect, but way more intense. Destroys the game pretty much instantly.
  • MAKE BREAKABLE: Makes all of the tiles in the current level breakable.
  • SKIP LEVEL: Skips the current level.

Page 2:

• INVINCIBILITY: Activates the invincibility power-up effect for the duration of the current level.
  • INFINITE CHARGE: Disables the cooldown on Jelpi's charge attack, allowing him to go very, VERY fast.
  • TOO MANY GEMS: Turns the breakable blocks and some background objects into gems.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #petri_v1-1 | 2024-04-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Petri

Petri is a chill cellular life simulator. Witness the rise and fall of countless living cells all trying their best to survive and reproduce.

Behavior and ultimate fitness are governed by stats, mutations, and a move-set, all of which are encoded into rudimentry DNA that is passed down to offspring.

Cells that consume enough food become healthy enough to reproduce. Reproduction weakens a cell, but allows it to pass its DNA (with potential mutations) on to the next generation.

Controls

❎ (X): Cycle through display modes
Enter/Pause: Display pause menu and adjust various game parameters

Additional Info

Stats

Each cell has three stats: strength, agility, and speed.

• Speed determines how likely a cell is to move
  • Strength determines how likely a cell is to consume energy each time it moves
  • Agility determines how likely a cell is to change direction each time it moves

Move Sets

Each cell has a move-set consisting of a list of numbers, 1-4, representing a cardinal direction.

The default display mode will output the number of living cells, the number of total births, the number of total dead cells, the amout of food currently in the environment, and the highest generation achieved.

The text-based display mode outputs the stats of the most recently birthed cells. Move-sets for each cell are indicated by a band of pixels, each color representing a different direction.

Sounds

There are only two sounds effects in the game, one to indicate a birth, and one to indicate a death.

2 comments

Cart #ac-0 | 2024-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is one of the collection of simple games based on different genres, this one is action, hello, this is a translator, thanks for watching my game, it took me 4 days, I'm new and I hope to improve, thank you

0 comments

Cart #bubblesgopop-0 | 2024-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bubbles go pop

Some small game I made in like a few hours. Just popping some bubbles.

Note: I haven't tested on mobile, but I consider a mouse to be necessary for the best experience.

Edit: It is actually slightly more Fun on mobile. As long as you don't drag.

0 comments

Bouncy Ball

Cart #bouncyball-3 | 2024-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

v3 2024-05-14:

• skarrmann hidden palette added
  • increased chance of seeing secret unlockables

"The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall."
    - Mitch Hedberg

Game Guide

It takes a steady paddle...

The paddle imparts its speed on the ball, so keep it steady or use this to your advantage to control the ball.. if you can keep up with it!

Modifiers

Modifiers will refresh along the back wall every 5 bounces. Some will give you an advantage, others a disadvantage. Be careful what you land on!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #rest_in_pyrite-2 | 2023-11-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

--- CONTROLS ---
Arrow keys to walk
C to jump
X to grapple (in goblin mode)
X to float (in ghost mode)

--- STORY ---
You are a greedy goblin looking for some gold in a dungeon. Unfortunately, the Evil Spirit of the Dungeon™ has cursed all of the gold so that whoever steals it becomes a ghost. There is a catch though: if you bring the gold back to the chest at the beginning of the level, you become alive again somehow!

Use your goblin grappling hook and ghostly floating abilities to make your way to the gold and back!

--- MAKING OF ---
This game was made by two people (ooooggll and Ummmm_ok) way back in October, for a game jam in a game design class. The jam lasted roughly 3 weeks I think. As a result, some features in the game might feel incomplete as we had to get it done by the deadline.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #imagecompress-0 | 2024-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Image...

So I wanted to make PicoChat (from picotron), but with images.
The limit of chars you can send is 256, so that means a 16x16 image with colors.
This method can send a two color image with 32x32. Im not sure if anyone has ever done this.
The way it works is simple, you have a table with 16 combinations of a 1x4 field. Each one has a index.
then the first four pixels are checked for a combination and assigned a index from the table, you can decode it in the same way. I planning to implement it to PicoChat.

you can use this for anything, have a nice day :)

0 comments

CoCo Clicker V1

Cookie Clicker Demake - Malsarthegreat

Cart #cococlickerv1-0 | 2024-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first Pico-8 Game! Love this fantasy console and I love clickers so I thought I would take a stab at a classic!

It is fairly basic at the moment with only 5 upgrades and 1 sfx but I am pretty pleased with the UI so far!

Plan on continuing work on this but this is what I have for now!

Features so far:

• Cookie clicking!
  • 5 Upgrades
  • 1 sfx
  • cartridge saving and loading (persistent storage)
  • cookie animations
  • milk animation
  • Simple/usable UI

A few known bugs:

• Alchemy upgrade cost is wonky
  • once you hit 50k cookies, it turns negative and eventually you start over.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #flycave-0 | 2024-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Flycave

A one-button game based on my favorite old PalmOS game called SFCave by SunFlat. Press the up arrow to swoop up and let go to dive down. Dodge the obstacles and don't hit the edges of the cave.

Notes

This is my first attempt at a game on any platform. The game mechanics are directly from SFCave, but I put my own spin on the graphics to learn as much as I could about Pico 8. Feedback is very welcome!

1 comment

The GBA port of the 1997 Microsoft Puzzle Collection didn't include Fringer, so ever since I lost the CD-ROM in the early 00's, this game has been living deep in my subconscious.

Was it easier to write a demake than to get an old version of Windows running in a VM, or the archive.org image of the CD-ROM to run in some wrapper, or whatever? Probably not. But I had a ton of fun badly transcribing two of the tunes that live right next to the Tetris theme and the Megaman 2 soundtrack in my brain and trying to express the idea of a Lilliputian in a 12x12 pixel square.

Cart #picofringer-3 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HOW TO PLAY

• Eliminate the ropes by untwisting the knots
  • When a rope is completely untwisted it disappears
  • ⬅️ / ➡️ move the frame side to side
  • ❎ twist or untwist a knot
  • Untwist the sparkling knots to collect bonuses
  • ⬆️ or ⬇️ to use a bonus to change your knot's angle without twisting a rope
  • 🅾️ to use the repaint power when the spinning palette appears on the screen
  • Connect a flame at the top and bottom to remove a rope
  • The sliding bar pushes the knots down
  • Don't let a knot reach the bottom

RELEASE NOTES
Update 2

• The paintbrush power-up which randomly changes the color of strands. Becomes available in world 3
  • More consistent movement and bugfixes when operating at the bottom of the screen
  • Fourth and final background and music track
  • More music tweaks to existing themes

Update 1

• Levels are now generated to match PC game's difficulty curve for strand colors and knot distribution
    • This might've made things a bit too hard since it results in the starting knots being so close to the bottom of the screen. The bonus distribution is more generous than the PC game, though, which helps
  • Added some safety checks to hopefully prevent some crashes... still tracking down the source
  • Added one more background and theme
  • Cleaned up some instrument and sync issues with existing themes

ROADMAP & KNOWN ISSUES

• Inconsistent behavior when a sweep starts while there's an active candle/flame powerup
  • Readability issues with colors, especially on the "Sea" backgrounds
  • Expand title theme
  • Options Settings: use ⬆️ or ⬇️ to use bonuses, swap ❎ and 🅾️ for knot and paintbrush
  • Investigate adding a row of knots by using the whole screen height and moving the status row and bonus icons to the side of the playfield
4 comments

Title says it all.
Problem is the same on firefox and safari on Mac, and on safari on iPhone.
Embed arrow still works, so you can still get the cart's id from it and view the game's code in pico-8's editor.

1 comment

Cart #endless_marble_racing-3 | 2024-04-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Marble Cup is the most prestigious racing competition, and every sixty seconds twelve of the greatest mice come together and compete for the glory, and a chance at the coveted Crimson Crown!

I built a whole physics engine for Momo's Momentum, which I lost motivation on after releasing one level. But I wanted to use the tech to make a marble racing simulation. It's like cocomelon to me.

• A new race every 60 seconds, generated using the date and time as a seed
  • No gameplay, just watch and have fun :)
  • 12 marble multiball action
  • The winner of each race receives a crown for the next one
  • Use up/down arrow keys for manual camera control
  • Press Z/X to toggle a zoomed-out view and see the whole course!
9 comments

Resolved

Does anyone know of a long distance function that does not: 1. Overflow, 2. Gives pixel perfect distance, 3. Handles distances up to about 200. I have one I'm working with:

function dist(x,y,x2,y2)
 local opp=x-x2
 local adj=y-y2

return opp/cos(-atan2(opp,adj))
end

However, it has weird instances where it throws up its hands and gives crazy numbers.

Thanks so much for the help!

3 comments

Cart #knight_and_prison_of_ice-0 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Join a courageous knight as he ventures into the icy depths of a prison labyrinth. Can he conquer its guardians, reach the heart of the maze, and ultimately rescue his beloved?

Controls

• Move: Arrow Keys
  • Call Sword: (X)
  • Change Power: (Z)
  • Use Power: Double-tap (Z)
  • Pause Menu (with Music On/Off): Enter

(Alternative mapping to X/Z is C/V)

Description

Knight and Prison of Ice is a roguelite action-adventure game where you play as a knight bound to his quest through a frozen expanse. Navigate the perils of the labyrinth, vanquish the three guardians, and rescue your beloved from this icy prison.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->