BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

hello world.
I think I'm missing something in the custom function realm when it comes to using variables as arguments. I'm trying to pass in a variable that defines one of 6 beams to a function so I can use it for all of the beams but it does not seem to be working and I think I'm trying to do something that might not be allowed in Pico-8. For example I have a custom function to light up this beam and it works great:

..but I need to reuse this to do something similar for 5 more of these beams. I'd like to create a reusable function around the following as I am repeating code:

function beam_2()
if mg(35) and p.x<500
then
pal(5,7)
spr(35,384,328) sfx(0)
b2_charge=true

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

hi...
i FINALLY got pico 8 and i put it on my raspberry pi running retropie and i used the tutorial https://nerdyteachers.com/PICO-8/Hardware/?tutorial=69
everything worked, except, the mouse didn't show, there is like no mouse, and i can really use pico 8 without a mouse
pls somebody help

1 comment

Cart #rabbits_first_game-0 | 2024-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the first game made by rabbit, my german friend.

1 comment

Imagine this folder structure

├── libs
│   ├── b.p8
│   └── c.p8
└── main.p8

If main.p8 calls ./libs/b.p8 which in turns wants to call c.p8, it has to use use the relative path from the main cart, i.e. ./libs/c.p8 even if b.p8 and c.p8 is in the same folder.

Usually programming languages have relative paths starting from the file that is doing the import. Could we get the same behaviour for pico-8 please?

Right now most multi-cart games have everything in single dir which makes things looking pretty messy, and if I want to have a multi cart game on my rgb30 where I hide the extra files in .hidden I have to edit all files making load calls to make things work which is not optimal.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #ycshmupi2024-1 | 2024-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SHMUPI2024

A shoot 'em up game by Yehiel Certner

About

This small game was made while going over the Lazy Dev Academy tutorial for building SHMUPS in the fantasy console Pico-8!
i highly recommend any aspiring developers and game maker hobbyist to go to their you tube channel and try their tutorials!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #one_last_swing-1 | 2024-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

One Last Swing

This project is my entry for the Samurai Game Jam 2024 with subtheme: Luck! 🍀
Story:

Patrolling the border you get a message about enemy groups flooding your territory. Now it is up to you to make it back home and ensure the safety of your family!

Controls:

Use X to unsheathe your sword before the clash. If you do not have it out, you will automatically lose. Use ⬇️⬆️ to move your sword between the 3 stances of: High, Mid and Low.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #rockpaperscissors-0 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a simple rock paper scissors simulation inspired by this video and others. When units encounter each other, the winning type "spreads" to the losing unit. Use the X or O buttons to restart.

1 comment

Cart #bers8-1 | 2024-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

About the Game

"Berserk" is a strategic fantasy collectible card game where two players assume the roles of commanders, leading squads of fantastical creatures into battle. During the game, you will maneuver across the battlefield and play tactical combinations to defeat your opponent. The player who destroys all of the opponent's creatures wins.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I want to buy pico 8 and tried using amazon pay, there is no option for amazon gift cards and that's literally all I have XD, how do I use amazon gift cards to buy it?

3 comments

Cart #cubancakewalk_brymn-0 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This cart, which uses one of @bikibird's visualizers provided courtesy of the PICO-8 Free Music Jam (in a beta version, as a co-organizer we helped with testing), contains an arrangement of the music of someone we'd never heard of: James Timothy Brymn's "Cuban Cake Walk".

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hey, I tried to add my YouTube channel in my user settings on this website, but each time I click on a field I get an error:

Error // Bad Data Format: <!DOCTYPE html>

then the field is replaced with [error]

The same occurs when checking Cart Listings: Make Favourites Public / Make Likes Public

3 comments

Cart #langtons_ant_tweetcart-0 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Langton's Ant is a tremendously simple system played on a grid of pixels that can either be on (white) or off (black). Each during timestep, the ant moves forward in the direction it is currently facing (I have it facing right at the start). Then, if the ant was on a black square before it moved, it makes the square white and turns right; if the ant was on a white square, it sets the square to black and turns left. And... that's it. But despite these incredibly simple rules, Langton's ant emerges from the apparent randomness after about 11000 steps and starts forming a recurring "highway". In fact, Langton's ant not only tends toward this self-organizing behavior, but also is capable of computation with the right setup (i.e. it is a universal Turing machine) -- see this paper for a proof of that.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

i made my first game for release! it's a bite-size fangame for the atelier franchise, about being a young alchemist in a town down on its luck. can you bring back the fireworks festival that used to light up the skies?

Cart #atelierphoebe-1 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it's extremely short for an rpg (15 minutes total). i made a dialog-heavy crafting RPG in pico-8 because i fear neither god nor man. a major goal i had was to make something that felt like a Real Finished Game, rather than an isolated tech demo or something. so it's got a beginning, middle, and end, and talk sprites, and ui animations, and so on. i'm ridiculously proud of this - i've never made a game as finished as this before. please play and enjoy! and tell me what you think!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #resmguse-0 | 2024-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi, I found some strange behaviors with sfx and music that looks like bugs
( I marked with "X" when it's behaving strangely)

bug 1: releasing loop of an sfx:

• play a looping sfx
  • release it's loop: sfx(-2)
  • the sfx will complete it's loop and then stop emitting sound
    X but if you check with "stat" you can see that the sfx is still "playing" with no sound

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #demonfirebybandd-0 | 2024-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first game by father and son game development team bandd! We followed Dylan Bennett's Top-Down Adventure Game Tutorial on youtube. We did a little bit of our own remixing, including transforming a movement bug into a feature, allowing very difficult diagonal movement between obstructing objects!

This game is very challenging. B, the 8 year old member of bandd Games only enjoys playing the most sadistic levels of Geometry Dash and making levels in Super Mario Maker with no floors, which his dad won't even try to win. He created the music, sprites and--unfortunately for you--the map for this game, and it's short but EXTREMELY TOUGH! He was able to eventually beat it, or we wouldn't have posted it. So good luck!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #bouncy_war-4 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Balls that color the screen and bounce off different colors.
PRESS X or C to change the start setup
Inspired by https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@[email protected]/111828811846394449

4 comments

Cart #kogateyane-1 | 2024-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #kogateyane-1 | 2024-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #tagujeyeyo-13 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An in-progress/demo of a puzzle dungeon crawler I've been working on.

4/2/24: Got major elements in now, just need to get LOS and enemy movement sorted out before doing SFX for various bits.
7/2/24: Added in event triggers, splash screen, tweaked screen wipe, item handling/classes, and redesigned tutorial levels and demo levels.
8/2/24: Tweaked event triggers, collapsing floors only collapse after you walk on them and monsters move, added teleporters and appearing/disappearing walls, creatures on impassible tiles at the end of the round die instantly

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

-- PICO-8 Cartridge

lua

-- Initialization function
function _init()
player_x = 64
player_y = 64
end

-- Update function
function _update()
if btn(0) then
player_x = player_x - 5
elseif btn(1) then
player_x = player_x + 2
end
end

-- Draw function
function _draw()
cls() -- Clear the screen

-- Draw the player as a filled rectangle
rect(player_x, player_y, player_x + 8, player_y + 8, 7)
end

0 comments

Cart #praxis_fighter_x-2 | 2024-02-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

• ◀▲▼▶: Move
  • Hold (X): Fire main weapon (spreadshot)
  • Hold (O)/Z/C: Charge secondary weapon (bomb) / focus mode.
  • Enter: Pause/menu

About

Praxis Fighter X is a fast-paced single stage retro shoot-em-up. Dodge bullets and fight off the militarized police force defending a corporate toxic sludge pipeline.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

33 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->