BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

A simple maze exploration game I made. The goal is to find your way out of the forest maze before time runs out.

Cart #bandit_escape-0 | 2024-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The main purpose of this was to make some slightly more complex music, and draw slightly better cartridge art (though it's still pretty bad). I also wanted to try out a multi-screen game that used the map editor and had actual map collisions. My previous games just had the player stop once they reached a certain x value. Code is kind of messy and the collisions aren't working exactly how I want, but I'll fix that with future games. Probably.

4 comments

screen={{},{}}

for y = 1,18 do
for x = 1,18 do
screen[x][y] = 1
end
end

Trying to create a 2 dimensional array and fill the grid with a value of 1. But I'm getting and error.

Can anyone help me with this please?

3 comments

Wavie thing

Cartridge:

Cart #tweet5-0 | 2024-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's not in a tweet cart format yet, but I will make it soon

How to enjoy:

• Use Your eyes to locate the game
  • Use your mouse or mouse pad to press the button on the game
  • Again, use your eyes to watch the moving thing on the screen
  • Have fun watching

Thanks for reading :)

2 comments

room-??

Cart #huh-0 | 2024-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #zafazinupo-7 | 2024-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Link to game on itch.io here.

The original jam version is down below!

Cart #zafazinupo-0 | 2024-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

8 comments

Shimmerscale

NOW IN GLORIOUS QUADRACOLOR

Consuming 239 chars because I didn't bother to minify further:

cls(13)s=sin
a=12b=4
::_::
t=time()/4
for i=0,36 do 
for j=0,42 do
r=(i+1.4*j)/64
m=12*s(t+r)
x=-8+4*i+3.4*s(t+r-.25)
y=-20+4*j+8*s(r)
if(btn(❎))a=11b=5
if(btn(🅾️))a=12b=4
o=a+(i/3+j/3+t*16)%b
line(x,y-m,x+1,y-m+s(t+r+.75),o)
end
end
goto _

Press ❎ to activate CHROMATOSIS:
An experimental bleeding-edge 5-color mode

Feel free to use/modify this effect for your projects!

a is the starting color and b is how many subsequent colors in the palette to use, so you can alter this to use any colors you want using pal({}) and those two variables. Note that the effect relies on not using cls() so this would be best suited to a splash screen or menu, or for use with clip()

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #mylovelywifevs100draculas_1-2 | 2024-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Lovely Wife vs. 100 Draculas

a small game by Chris 'Turd Boomerang' Armstrong

One hundred Draculas are after my lovely wife! Put your combat gardening skills to work as you behead, dismember, and devour wave after wave of undead Transylvanian counts.

Movement: P2 D-Pad (ESDF on the keyboard)
Aiming and Shooting: P1 D-Pad (Arrow Keys on the keyboard) or Mouse Left Button

Updates:

1/24/24

The latest version of "My Lovely Wife vs. 100 Draculas" adds two new menu items.

The "Swap Controllers" option was suggested and implemented by RealShadowCaster. You can now swap the movement and shooting control inputs - allowing you to move with the arrow keys and shoot with ESDF if that feels more comfortable.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #distant_galaxy-0 | 2024-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"Distant Galaxy" catapults players back to the golden era of arcade gaming, rekindling the nostalgia of classics like Galaga and Space Invaders. Embark on a cosmic journey as a fearless fighter pilot, armed with powerful missiles and a heart full of courage (5 heart-fulls to be exact!). Prepare to traverse the uncharted realms of the universe, where the stars twinkle in 8-bit brilliance and the galaxies hum with an energetic chip-tune soundtrack.

In Distant Galaxy, you'll face off against legions of adorable yet menacing alien hordes as you bob and weave through the chaos of their attacks. But beware – the universe is not all fun and games. Encounter disgusting mini-bosses and colossal cyclops commanders, and put your reflexes to the test as you navigate the cosmic battlefield. So, gear up, pilot – the universe awaits your pixelated heroics in this heart-pounding, eye-catching, and downright fun blast from the past!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #backdrop-16 | 2024-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Backdrop is a match-3 style puzzle game which emphasizes thoughtful moves. There is no timer, and you can plan your moves at your own leisure.

The Goal

The goal is to clear the vexed blocks - the ones with the bothered border. You can't interact with vexed blocks directly, so they must be cleared by other means.

The Rules

There are four colors. Each block has an back and center color. Your cursor has a color as well.

Move your cursor with the directional buttons. Press the X/O action buttons to swap your cursor color with the selected block's back or center color, respectively.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Cart #retromachine-0 | 2024-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game, made mostly for learning purposes, following Lazydevs tutorials and taking snippets of code here and there from the community.

There are five levels to complete before times runs out. Each time you crash into another car you lose 3 seconds. You will lose control of the car for a short while if you drive onto an oil stain.
Bonus points are awarded for each overtaking after you pass 10 cars without accidents and without getting oil stains.

Controls:

use arrow keys to accellerate (up) ad to steer right/left.

Credits:

this game took me a while, so I can't remember where I took what.. I can only give credits to Lazydevs and all the beautiful pico-8 community!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

The sin() and cos() functions seem to be using some kind of lookup table at ¼ the number resolution, with clamping. It is easy to use linear interpolation instead and improve the precision of these functions by calling them twice:

function trig(f,x)
  local a, b = f(x & 0x.fffc), f(x | 0x.0003)
  return a + (b - a) * (x << 14 & 0x.c)
end
function xsin(x) return trig(sin,x) end
function xcos(x) return trig(cos,x) end

@zep I think PICO-8 could very well do this internally, as the extra cost seems negligible. The same goes with atan2(), especially since in that case it is significantly more difficult to do in PICO-8 user land.

Cart #precise_sincos-1 | 2024-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

atan2(1,0x8000.0001) returns 0.25, as expected. However atan2(1,0x8000.0000) returns 0.75.

This is the kind of stuff that could be compiler-specific because 0x80000000 is a bit special, however I get this on both Windows and Linux (64-bit).

3 comments

Hey there, I'm just starting here with Pico-8, trying to understand the syntax.

I just want to create 2 one dimensional arrays numbered 1 to 10, and fill them with the value 63. But I can't seem to figure out how. Can anyone assist with this please?

x={}
y={}

for i = 1,10,1 do
x[i] = 63
y[i] = 63
end

2 comments

Cart #kons-2 | 2024-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #kons-1 | 2024-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First release of my first game (in any engine/platform).

It's basically Snake, but you grow automatically and have to consume healthy fruit and vitamins to stay short.

Version 1.0.1
Added a border to the screen to help see where the edges are

3 comments

An implementation of the Mandelbrot set visualization for the Pico 8.

Cart #mandelbrotset-0 | 2024-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #rem_dg_mouse-0 | 2024-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

REM Recreational Software
® 0027-4039 Entry Node and Investors. All Rights Reserved.

Press 'Q' if stuck.
If you see it, do not let it find you.

21 comments

Hi.

Can someone explains me the difference between map() and camera() please ?

Thank you.

2 comments

Cart #hisugorunu-0 | 2024-01-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

Cart #rubyeyes-6 | 2024-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ruby Eyes

A game about becoming beautiful.

You are but a wee skeleton residing in the Necromancer's Tower. You realize that your skull would be so much prettier if you had some rubies where your eyes would be. Rumor has it that the necromancer holds some very impressive gems. Maybe you should go take a look?

—————————————————————————————————————————

Controls

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ - Movement
❎or X - Menu/Select
🅾️or Z - Back

How to Play

Move north at the beginning of the game to play a tutorial.
There is no button to wait a turn, try bumping into a door or item to delay your movement.
You won't succeed on your first try. Learn from your previous attempts to reach the Necromancer!

—————————————————————————————————————————

v1.2 — 1/22/24

• Improved item drop interactions with background elements
  • Stats stay in line when above 10
  • Damage text no longer goes off the top of the screen
  • Fixed healing from cultist damage
  • Necromancer no longer summons bones after being defeated
  • Removed gaps on 3-way doors
  • Weakened Golem Soul
  • Strengthened Cultist Soul
  • Rebalanced monster HP and damage
  • Made souls slightly rarer