BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This is my first game which I don't know how to play games but I made an attempt it's simple it's about a ship shooting towards the meteorites you die if you collide with the meteorite and you move with the left and right arrows and shoot at Z don't judge the ugly what is it XD

1 comment

I wondered if it was practical to save tokens and do more "visual" editing of palettes, color ramps, etc. by embedding a palette in the sprite sheet.

The answer is "no", but it was an interesting experiment:

Cart #kistaro_sprite_sheet_palette-1 | 2023-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cartridge contains two different formats for reading a palette out of a sprite sheet: as a pair of 4x4 blocks (total space 8x4) and as a pair of rows (total space 16x2). One 16-pixel unit is the "palette" part, the other is "control bits". The control bits are:

• 0x1 -- "high color" (add 128 to the color)
  • 0x2 -- transparent: mark this color as transparent in sprites
  • 0x4 -- opaque: mark this color as not transparent in sprites

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Happy Halloween!!!
credits Cheetaman/Overworld song borrowed from Shogal
Original Super Mario bros Authentic by Mhughson
All graphics and some small code edits by me

I was planing on making this port of the original Syobon action to Pico 8 but I could not really figure out how change the level data sense it didn't use Pico 8's level maker and also coding is hard.

Cart #kutotugizo-1 | 2023-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #kutotugizo-0 | 2023-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Hullo.

This is my first game using Pico8,
a remake of "Flappy Bird".

Hope You Enjoy :D

Cart #flappyfenn-0 | 2023-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Error: Attempt to index global 'W' (a nil value)

Hello! I am having trouble getting collision working with a different system that spawns sprites in from the map screen.

This is the collision tutorial I used: https://youtu.be/Recf5_RJbZI?si=Df6FbJ2FYfCN39Qx
This is the sprite spawning tutorial I used: https://youtu.be/8jb8SHNS66c?si=233nn8z_S1R4R64n

I have watched TONS of tutorials on this and still can't wrap my head around it. A lot of tutorials create very basic collision that has issues, like only being able to work with certain speed values (1,2,4,8,16,etc.) or that don't let your character slide alongside a wall when holding a diagonal.

Can anyone help? I definitely want to use this spawning system in the future to spawn in different types of walls and enemies. I have a feeling that I am misunderstanding how to use the table variables properly, so any explanation would be appreciated!

-- game loop --

function _init()
	cls()
	walls={}
	make_player()
	make_walls()
	-- top-left and lower-right
	-- bounds of player area
	a1,b1=8,8
	a2,b2=112,112
end

function _update60()
	-- keep inside the play area
	move_player()
	p.x=mid(a1,p.x,a2)
	p.y=mid(b1,p.y,b2)
end

function _draw()
	cls()
	draw_map()
	draw_player()

for w in all(walls) do
		spr(w.wsp,w.wx,w.wy)
	end	
end
-- map --

function draw_map()
	map(0,0,0,0,16,16)
end
-- player --

function make_player()
	p={
	x=40,
	y=40,
	w=8,
	h=8,
	speed=2,
	sprite=1,
	}
end

function move_player()
	--move player with buttons
	--interacts with wall collision
	if (btn(⬅️)) then
		for newx=p.x,p.x-p.speed,-1 
			do
				if not box_hit(newx,p.y,
					p.w,p.h,
					w.wx,w.wy,
					w.ww,w.wh) 
				then
					p.x=newx
			end
		end
	end

if (btn(➡️)) then
		for newx=p.x,p.x+p.speed 
			do
				if not box_hit(newx,p.y,
						p.w,p.h,
						w.wx,w.wy,
						w.ww,w.wh) 
				then
					p.x=newx
			end
		end
	end

if (btn(⬆️)) then
		for newy=p.y,p.y-p.speed,-1 
			do
				if not box_hit(p.x,newy,
						p.w,p.h,
						w.wx,w.wy,
						w.ww,w.wh) 
				then
					p.y=newy
			end
		end
	end

if (btn(⬇️)) then
		for newy=p.y,p.y+p.speed 
			do
				if not box_hit(p.x,newy,
						p.w,p.h,
						w.wx,w.wy,
						w.ww,w.wh) 
				then
					p.y=newy
			end
		end
	end
end

--draw player
function draw_player()
	spr(p.sprite,p.x,p.y)
end
-- walls --

function make_walls()
	for x=0,15 do
		for y=0,15 do
			if mget(x,y)==65 then
				add(walls,{
					wx=x*8,
					wy=y*8,
					ww=8,
					wh=8,
					wsp=66
				})
				mset(x,y,64)
			end
		end
	end
end

--wall collision calculations

function box_hit(x1,y1,
		w1,h1,
		x2,y2,
		w2,h2)

local hit=false
		local xd=abs((x1+(w1/2))-(x2+w2/2))
		local xs=w1/2+w2/2
		local yd=abs((y1+(h1/2))-(y2+h2/2))
		local ys=h1/2+h2/2	

if xd < xs and yd < ys then
		hit=true
	end

return hit

end
2 comments

So I have a launcher-type game. I want to load local, on-disk carts. It works fine in the editor, but as soon as I export it, it fails to work.

The basic code for loading looks like this:
load(cartid, 'back to launcher')

I have also tried putting a './' at the beginning and a '.p8' at the end to no avail.

I put the .p8 files into the same directory as the exe, like:
windows
-- game.exe
-- data.pod
-- sdl2.dll
-- jelpi.p8

How might I go about making an exported game that can load carts from disk?

1 comment

Cart #goseyuturo-0 | 2023-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, I made this top-down adventure game as part of the Cosy Autumn 2023 Game Jam.
As this was my second game overall, and the only one I published so far, it has been a pretty involved process and I learned a lot. I also didn't use any tutorial or any other external tool, as I wanted to create something only by using my own skills and learning on the fly.

The result is... interesting :) But as I could deliver a fully playable game on time with very less experience, I'm happy with what I achieved.

Overall I enjoyed the process and now I look forward to apply my hard gained learnings and insights on my next game.

0 comments

Cart #yohipisot-0 | 2023-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

PICO-SKETCH

Inspired by Etch-A-Sketch

Background

This is my first pico 8 game I have ever created. I have a lot of fond memories of playing in the back seat of our car on a long road trip with my Etch-A-Sketch. It helped spark my interest in art as a kid. This is a creative little game where you can draw with a continuos line just like on the old Etch-A-Sketch. You can shake (clear the screen) and i even added an option to change the line color to allow for more creative drawings. I look forward to seeing what y'all create!

Controls

Use the Z key to shake the screen to reset your art and the X key to change the color of the cursor. The arrow keys wil move the cursor and allow you to draw to your hearts content.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #alienrun-0 | 2023-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

first off, a demo. here's a cart that stores the entirety of its game logic in its sprite sheet:

Cart #baloonbomber_rom-0 | 2023-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is a parens-8 port of an old cart of mine. it has the lua code for the parens-8 language, and then parens-8 code for loading parens-8 game logic from ROM. you can find the full source for the game logic here

parens-8 is a lisp interpreter/compiler designed specifically to bypass the lua token limit.
the idea: use a portion of your cart (between 330 and 900 tokens, depending on your use case) to store the parens-8 interpreter, offload performance noncritical code into strings, and then optionally into ROM.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #rakejeromo-0 | 2023-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Created by a 6 1/2 year-old, after the creation of her first game idea she wanted to do a runner style game inspired by another game I created, Hanukkah Runner, which she plays off and on. This time not only did she come up with the entire concept she also did a few of the graphics and was a lot more involved in the design aspects, acting as the art director too.

2 comments

Cart #rojutiwoni-0 | 2023-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Designed by a 6 year-old, the whole game was put together in a couple of hours after she asked me to create a game with her. The entire idea is hers, the terrible rushed code is mine.

2 comments

Using SERIAL() to write to stdout on Linux does not work.

function _init()
	string="test"
	for i=0,#string do
	 poke(0x4300+i, string[i]) --string as an array of charcodes
	end

serial(0x805,0x4300,#string + 1)

printh("test2")
end

The stdout writing code came from this post about communicating with nodejs using serial.

This cart fails to write test to stdout using SERIAL() but succeeds when writing test2 using PRINTH().
The code doesn't make any error messages either.

4 comments

Cart #raboyowasa-1 | 2023-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Anyone know how to fix audio on iOS safari >:\

0 comments

Cart #dinoclonver132023-0 | 2023-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dino Clon

Dino Clon is an interpretation from the popular no internet game conexion of Google Chrome.

Moves

Features

You can change the color of the background, now you can change the color of the dino and you can also change the speed of the game (I don't recommend speed 3 and 4).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Music by @packbat, Game by @kaimonkey

Cart #birbbird-12 | 2023-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

Tiny Wings? Never heard of her! In this totally originally concept, land as many jumps as you can without crashing! Every time you land a jump, you get a point!

Controls

• X/x If in the air go down, if on the ground go fast
  • Z/O If in the air go down, if on the ground go fast (again)
  • Down If in the air go down, if on the ground go fast (again, again)
  • Clicking the screen If in the air go down, if on the ground go fast (Listen, it's a 1-button game)

Features

• Five different terrain types which come as you get higher and higher score

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #pcmwaveform-0 | 2023-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I have created a simple PCM audio visualiser while experimenting with PCM.

It:

• Has three different waveforms:
    • Square
    • Sine
    • Harmonic
  • Visualises the audio output
  • Shows the formula for calculating the wave
  • Allows adjustments to
    • Volume
    • Frequency / Pitch

I hope that this helps!

Planning on making a simple way to play sound effects too. Have a nice day!

0 comments

UPDATE: Looks like either Itch or this person deleted the Itch account.

Remember that person from a couple days ago who was reposting the games of others, changing the author info but nothing else? Seems like their account here is gone, but it looks like that person also uploaded those games to itch.io. The usernames are different but they're mostly the same games, so I assume it's the same person. Probably worth reporting if one of these is your game! I know @RyanC and @krajzeg are among the targeted.

They even renamed Slipways to Symfowaves to throw people off the scent I guess?

5 comments

Cart #fivenightfeddys-0 | 2023-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is a fnaf clone I've been working on, the office graphics haven't been finished and the AI isn't fully correct, but it is a close approximation of the game.

Save data should work but I haven't messed with that before so if any errors occur I can try to fix them

NOTE: I haven't been able to test the later nights too much, although there is a custom night if you can make it that far, I am not sure if they are physically possible.

OTHER NOTE: Mouse is required so this cannot be played using keyboard etc., once everything is patched up completely I might add support for button control as well but that is a lower priority as of now

3 comments

Been learning the ropes, but I'm kinda stuck between two different game styles.

This is a lot more action-y but some of the elements just don't work in an auto-run style action thing.

Cart #tavernbrawler-0 | 2023-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Where as this one is a lot more like Ultima and 80s RPGs, but a lot slower.
0.0.2.2b

Cart #tavernbrawler-1 | 2023-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just trying to learn some coding, this is the most extensive game I've ever made. lol

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->