BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

You wake up in a steel bunker, sweat dripping down your face in a futile attempt to cool you. As you heave the cast iron door open and stumble out into the sand, you realise that you are isolated. You are the only human out here.
You are alone.

Cart #alone22-0 | 2023-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a smol little game i'm working on, right now there's only a very very basic movement and camera system in place. Leave some feedback on what I should improve, and have fun (if that's possible at this stage)!

1 comment

Cart #draythalmologist-0 | 2023-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Day 3 of 27 creating a game each day! This is another game for the A Single Bird's Tabernacle Kickstarter promotion.

Drayman's mom is making him go to the Ophthalmologist, but his eyesight is really bad! If Drayman loses his cool shades, he will go from cool to drool!

Do your best to prevent Drayman from sub coming to his biological weaknesses, or figure out a way to cheat the test to prevent Drayman from living a life of shame! Ace the test quickly, so that Drayman isn't stuck his whole life as a nerd-kid. :)

2 comments

Cart #bofukopiyu-1 | 2023-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The buggy things mentioned yesterday are fixed!

Former versions:

v0.2 ↓

Cart #bofukopiyu-0 | 2023-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Long time no see everyone!
Thanks to great advices, I finally made it work!
It's still a bit buggy, so I continue working.

v0.1 ↓

al1
by Ruva
Cart #al1-0 | 2023-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everyone!
Nowadays I'm making endless running platformer with various patterns of maps.
But the maps won't collide, they are just drawn.
How should I do? Are there any solutions?

0 comments

Heyo people! I've been learning Pico 8 for a few weeks now, created a few little test games to learn the language, now I'm trying to start a game I intend to finish and polish - thought it might be useful to start interacting on the boards. I'm having some issues with the mathematics of this game I'm making.

Playing as a small turtle with a cactus on it's back, the main mode of interaction will be snatching other entities out of the air with rope-like tendrils that come from within the cactus. However, right now, I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to figure out why my tendrils are not lining up to the angle of the mouse's location (using mouse input). Sine, cosine, pi, all that stuff terrifies me, so if someone out there wouldn't mind taking a gander at the small amount of code I've written for this project so far, I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

The I suspect the problem lies somewhere here...

function gettraj(mx,my)
	--get x/y distances
	local hdist=p.x-(mx+4)
	local	vdist=p.y-(my+4)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=132778#p)
4 comments

Cart #msmazeguy-1 | 2023-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Push crates onto buttons to open doors.
Enjoy ✌️

0 comments

Cart #pzmowin-0 | 2023-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello, I'm new to programming and have been struggling with a line intersection function. The goal of this cart is to draw lines one after another, the origin of one segment being the endpoint of another. This has led to several problems, as initially the intersect function was considering this shared point to count as an intersection. To remedy this, I separated the lines into three categories: #1, the line being currently drawn, #2, the previously drawn line, and #3, all the lines before it. The problem I've run into here is that it's only calculating an intersection with the first line of the last list (#3).

This WIP cart prints whether or not intersect is true, and then the number of segments in the lists for #2 and #3 respectively. Is there a way to loop through and detect intersection for all of this last list? Thank you for bearing with my wall of text, and for your time and assistance.

1 comment

Cart #negative_space-0 | 2023-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Negative Space

Negative space is a series of (by default) black and white animations based on the same twirly setup. However the function parameters are randomized, so the exact outcome of each animation can be a surprise.
You can rerandomize the animation by pressing O/Z.
You can also randomize the colors by pressing X.
You can turn on the second hidden color via the pause menu.

If you see an animation you like, you can turn it into a GIF and post it here.
I also plan to add more types of animations in the future, so this cart might become an album of small, slightly randomized experiments.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #ntofebow-0 | 2023-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is our second Pico8 demoscene release, Crash & Burn. Released at Assembly 2023.

code: zoi and blackis
gfx: havocplague
music: castor

2 comments

Cart #courtyard_2-12 | 2023-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Stand in the Courtyard and wait for something to happen! A game that changes each day. Another promotional video game for the A Single Bird's Tabernacle Kickstarter. Thanks for playing!

Day 15 Update:

Due to a matter of personal circumstance, "Courtyard" is being suspended from future updates.

I've really enjoyed getting to know all of you in the BBS, and look forward to more conversations and games with you guys. If you are still interested in doing so, be sure to support the Kickstarter (though it's looking like it might turn over).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Would you like to play the piano ... in PICO-8?

Cart #sample_piano-0 | 2023-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Well, I can't imagine why, but there you go. Use the tracker keys to play. It's polyphonic.

If you want to change the sample, you can convert a .WAV file to any of the QPA formats - and only the QPA formats - supported by this WIP tool: https://luchak.github.io/defy/ . Then drag and drop the resulting file on the running cart and play away. This will also save the new sample to the cart using cstore() so you can make new carts for new instruments! That URL has been updated with some format improvements, so it won't work here any more until I update these carts.

Usual caveats apply about PCM output not always working well on the web.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #blob_command-3 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Match blobs together, create chain reactions and don't run out of time!

In this puzzle game, you guide a group of blobs with the goal of matching three or more of the same color. There are three kinds of blobs: green, red and yellow. While you do have control of their initial position, blobs move on their own in one direction, which depends on where they are facing. Clearing blobs decreases the timer and increases the completion meter by a certain amount - which depends on how many are cleared at the same time - and filling the latter levels you up. The game lets the player create combos - mainly through chain reactions - which increase the score. Have fun!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #wojbee3-17 | 2024-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Introduction

The discord server has been infected by a new variant of the stupidity virus: not thinking before talking.

You, as the all powerful Woj... Bee(?) moderator, you shall save the world with your magical stings and obliterate them from existance with your ban hammer!
[16x8]

How to play

You can change the background by pressing UP

You can use the arrow keys to move your character around, X to shoot and Z or C to throw a ban hammer™ when the star™ meter is fully charged

Want a sprite?

You are probably here because you are from SwitchCraft or MCCM, and if so, you might be eligible for joining the game with a neat
[48x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Does anyone else find it surprising that with fillp() a set 1 bit draws the background color, and an unset 0 bit draws a pixel of the foreground color ? ... I appreciate it's a feature of P8 and also see why technically it may be necessary...
Just wondered what people think: are colors are inverted to convention...? 🤔

Do you invert the fill pattern or just swap the palette colors when rendering?

0 comments

Cart #only_up_and_down-0 | 2023-08-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A part of promotion for my new Kickstarter, A Single Bird's Tabernacle. This one's more limited, but I hope you enjoy.

0 comments

Cart #ocean_demo1k-0 | 2023-08-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a 1k_demo inspired by tweetcarts from @2darray and @GateEightyEight. Just for fun. :)

1 comment

Cart #kugelblitz-1 | 2024-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play as Sofie Engel in this stealthy spin on classic arcade maze games! Maintain your battery reserves, avoid detection, and destroy the Kugelblitz before it fully ignites...

How to Play

Your ultimate goal is to reach the Kugelblitz before time runs out. Before that, however, you must deactivate the two energy barriers that surround it, by overloading the control panels elsewhere in the maze. This will consume half of your battery, which also depletes as you walk, so make sure you have enough - you can restore your battery using the pickups that spawn throughout the maze.

You can get bonus points by collecting the floppy disks that spawn occasionally, but be quick - they disappear just a few seconds after appearing. You'll get an extra life at 10k points, then 20k, 40k, 80k, and so on.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #twwetcart-0 | 2023-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Watch and be amazed :)

The longer You watch the more of the 3D Effect you will see.

If you press ⬆️ then you will access paint mode. 🎨
You can just paste this in pico-8.

pal({-15,1,-13,-4,12,6,7,-9},1)::w::
for x=0,127do 
y=(t()*t())%127
pset(x,y,abs((sin(x/160+t()/2)+cos(y/220)+sin(x/120))*3+rnd(tonum(btn(⬆️)))))
end flip()goto w

If you like this I have another one 4D Tweetcart

0 comments

Cart #ypoztito-0 | 2023-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SISYPHEAN PARABLE

I see that man going back down with a heavy yet measured step toward the torment of which he will never know the end. This is the truly tragic moment when the hero becomes conscious of his wretched condition. He does not have hope, but there is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn. Acknowledging the truth will conquer it; Sisyphus, just like the absurd man, continues pushing. All is well, indeed, that one must imagine Sisyphus happy.

SUMMARY

A hapless vacuum cleaner is responsible for cleaning up the mess in the room. However, a crack in its body spills some of the dirt that it had previously collected in its tank back to the ground whenever it moves. This vicious cycle results in him continuing the cleaning process indefinitely, even when a limited amount of dirt is found in the room.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #damuhujuje-0 | 2023-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first Pico 8 cart, an L-system pattern generator dancing to the beat~

(Let me know if I've made any mistakes with the post! :) )

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->