BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #plattybase-0 | 2023-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is free to use!

Use this cartridge anyway you want!
I hope you link back to this post if you use it.
But you don't need to!

This includes:

• Basic collision detection (by mhugson)
  • Movement (Friction, Acceleration, Jumping/Gravity)
  • Coyote time
  • Death animations (Explosion)
  • Messy code
8 comments

https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion

Onion OS for the Miyoo Mini Plus seems to be based on Linux so I decided to try to get Pico-8 proper to run on it since FAKE-8 tends to break on a lot of games, plus I miss SPLORE, which seems possible to use given it's WIFI chip. But sadly I'm running into errors.

No matter which version I try to run I get this weird error, IDK if this means it's trying to execute it in the wrong way but it's weird

/mnt/SDCARD/pico-8 2 # ./pico8
./pico8_32bit: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")

Any idea what could be the problem?

11 comments

i saw this neat animation on instagram and turned it into a small game :3

Cart #patterndodger-0 | 2023-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #catatac_v1-1 | 2023-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to play

Move - Use arrow keys

Shoot Bullet - Press/Hold X/V

Shoot Special Bullet - Press/Hold Z/C

Rules

Catatac is a Shmup (Shoot-em-up) game in which you control a ship and you need to defeat the evil cats with your laser beam. You have 6 different ships to choose, 5 powerups to get, and 8 types of enemies to defeat!

Bugs/suggestions

If you experience a bug, comment below and describe the bug in detail, and what version your playing on. You can check the version on the top left corner in the start screen.

If you have a suggestion, comment below with the suggestion and i might add it in the next update, if i dont run out of token space.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #helimancart-0 | 2023-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

What is Heliman?

Simply put, I bet Heliman is the worlds most unfair platformer!
Why so. Because there's like a 3 minute level (still under development)
of pure pixel perfect jumps, frame perfect timings and has no checkpoint...

Controls

Left/Right to run
X to jump
C to copterate

Also, this game is still under development, so feedback would be appreciated!

Bet it takes a couple times for you to beat this, and there is no goal so
you're just testing this... MUAHAHAHAH

EXTREME Edition:

Cart #helimanextreme-0 | 2023-08-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #heli_man-0 | 2023-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Same as last time but some more juice (sadly my dum brain was not able to figure out how to make the player use X for both jumping and flying... )

2 comments

Possible bug / user error / 'feature' of rounding(?)...

cls()
print("0x7b18.3060")
print(tostr(0x7b18.3060))
print(tostr(31512.189,true))
print(tostr(31512.188965,true))

Why does PICO-8 return the s16.16 value for the hexadecimal with too few digits?
i.e. the conversion with tostr() hex>dec>hex is lossy.

10 comments

Cart #wallcity-4 | 2023-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Platformer concept using Nerdy Teachers platformer series for base player code, collision, and animations.
Honestly, really proud of this parallax cloud effect, although it's one issue seems to be that the clouds won't move if the player is in the starting position, which maybe has to do with my math moving the x drawing position for the clouds depending on the player.x's positions and being so close to the map limits.

This is my first real pico 8 project!
Let me know if the aesthetic inspires any gameplay ideas!

EDIT:
Spent hours trading code with chatgpt and learning how to implement the cats, they're a little finicky and unpredictable, but that's cats for you.
For now, enjoy endlessly collecting stray cats!

8 comments

Onion Ring

Cart #onion_ring-0 | 2023-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game by Morgan Nayer and me, developed in 48 hours for a game jam.

An onion fighting for its life.

Face hordes of lumberjacks and show your superiority alone against all. Make your enemies cry.

2 games mods :

• Defense Game : defend the pond, and try to drink 40 liters of water despite the waves of enemies.
  • Beat them all Game : try to defeat the most lumberjacks.

0 comments

Cart #again-3 | 2023-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Description:

Again! is a puzzle-platformer game in which even death moves you towards your goal.
With a clever use of your previous attempts, you can progress through 9 levels and 3 different environments.
Again! was created as an entry to My First Game Jam: Summer 2023 with the theme "Cycles".

Controls:

• Arrow-key: Movement
  • X: Jump (hold to charge)
  • Z: Reset the level
  • P: Menu (turn music on/off)

Development:

The game was created in Pico-8 over one weekend. The game is also available on itch.io.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #mot_taxi-7 | 2024-01-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE: Fixed suspension to lean towards the outside of turns, not the inside.

Welcome to the Whiplash Taxi Company, where our motto is "The slower you're there, the lower the fare!"

As a valued employee and taxi driver, your job is to pick up passengers and deliver them to their destination as fast as possible, by any means necessary.

Passengers are easy to spot, just look for the big red arrows over their heads.

Simply stop next to them so they can jump in!
Then follow the red destination indicator to the destination and stop when it says "stop!".

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Cart #dungeonofnumeromancy-1 | 2023-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Description:

Dungeon of Numeromancy is a dungeon crawler with math-based combat.
You battle your foes by answering mathematical quiz questions, where correct answers unleash powerful spells that damage the monsters. Answering incorrectly and the attack will fail, allowing the monster to strike.

Controls:

• Arrow-key: Movement
  • X: Selecting the answer

Story:

Math is the core to our reality and to the magic itself. An unexplained anomaly appeared in the depths of a dungeon and disrupted the very foundation of magic. The esteemed Math Mage Guild has called upon you, a promising young Math Mage, to venture into the treacherous dungeon and restore the balance of the magical world. Can you rise to the challenge?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #mazeguy3-0 | 2023-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The third instalment in the beloved Maze Guy trilogy. Featuring keys, crates, actual puzzles, and not really any mazes. Also there's no undo button (sorry).

Have fun ✌️

1 comment

Cart #kumatori_panic-5 | 2023-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Kumatori Panic!

This game is an entry for the A Game By Its Cover 2023 jam! Original famicart design is Kumatori Panic! by Eat Sleep Meep!

Check their cart and other works out!

Versions:

0.1 - Jam version released for AGBIC 2023
0.2 - Fix Endless loop bug (hopefully).

Gameplay

Kumatori Panic! is a combination of Sokoban type entity pushing and Bejeweled like color matching. Gather all the chicken before they ran off! Connect 3 or more matching ones to gather them into the coop!

Bump into the chickens from a direction to push them, if nothing is in the direction you are pushing.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #dirupufehi-1 | 2023-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mr.E: "You can choose which you like."

No right answer.
Only your choice.

5 comments

Cart #outvain1-0 | 2023-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everyone! My first game is now available!

It includes;

• Mini-sized Metroidvania
  • Gimmicks such as Keys-Key doors, Upgrades, and breakable Rocks
  • Combat against enemies, both on ground and in the air

So if you are fond of them, I hope you to play and have fun!

I had been inspired by these works;

• Nerdyteacher's platformer tutorial - Not to mention, the great masterpiece
  • UCHU MEGA FIGHT by uchuzine - caused me to get into pico-8
  • Lazydev's Shmup tutorial - learned some nice function from this
16 comments

English version (French below) :

Amelia's Castle is a eight-handed game made by Camille Hébert, Djeneba Soumare, Laure Favre & Sayadyna Mehraik. We made this game as part of a group project in our school. We are from Ada Tech School in Paris, France.

Translation of the main page : Help Amelia to save her kingdom by finding the antidote that will dispel the purple smoke.

We were inspired by the universe of games on Pico-8 such as Celeste and Rainmaker and also by the animated series Steven Universe. Our gameplay is based on a level of the first game Rayman. Rayman has to climb as fast as possible before being swallowed by water (here for more context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOtb5YnYrYk&t=56s). We designed this game in two weeks without knowing anything about Pico-8 and the Lua language. It was our first project as a team and we learned a lot about what is programming with Lua.

Enjoy ! :)

Cart #ameliascastle-0 | 2023-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #bokijopopaman-0 | 2023-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple fan made remake of a classic.

Controls

Press X and a direction to shoot web. Hold and press the x to shoot a longer web.
The web must attach to the building. Now press up to move up.
Spooderman can also climb on solid surfaces and during a fall can move left and right.

Rules

Climb up and disarm the SuperBomb, stop enemies and smaller bombs and collect point.
Enemies and bombs can cut your web, doing so will make you fall.
Capturing thieves and disarming bombs will give you points.

Behind the scenes

My son is a huge fan of classic Spider-man games and the Atari version is difficult for him.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hone your cart hacking abilities with this HackTheBox-like cart!

Simple premise:
You control a square which can move around the screen.
Your goal is to move out of the top left corner and after, without triggering btnp(), get back into the top left corner.
Sounds simple enough.
In fact, I will even let you look at the code!
It is very difficult, so I made an easier version of it for you to try out first.
You will need to download the cart to solve the challenge.

Have fun solving this challenge!

Easier version (try this one first!):

Cart #hacking4_1-0 | 2023-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Solution:

Go to a different location, using the btnp() keys you have set;
Press esc, to enter the terminal;
Create a function which takes in an argument. Inside the function make p= the argument;
E.g.:

function t(k)
 p=k
end

Call the function and as the argument use the table:{x=0,y=0} or {y=0,x=0};
Modify the _draw() function like so:

function _draw()
 cls()
 move_pl(p)
end

Type resume and hit enter.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #modul_8-5 | 2024-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Modul-8 allows you to create music in PICO-8 with three channels of 2OP PM synthesis.

Features

With a look based on PICO-8's built-in tracker, Modul-8 was created to be as simple as possible to not only save CPU space but also make it more accessible when it comes to inputs. The tracker uses both standard PICO-8 buttons and mouse input; while the arrow keys are used to move across the grid and the O/X butons (Z/X keys) are used to cycle through notes, the mouse is used to control the instrument and playback options. Pressing both buttons at the exact same time will delete the note the cursor is on. While the PM synthesis Modul-8 uses is very basic, it still allows you to craft some interesting sounds by controling the volume, ADSR and frequency multiplication of both operators. Tunes created with the tracker are always looped, but the overall lenght of the track and the loop point of each pattern are adjustable.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->