BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

An edit of the Jelpi demo to showcase glitches and bring pain to all!

Cart #jelpipain-0 | 2022-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #hotdog_master-0 | 2022-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First school project!

Pick some hotdogs to make the ball appear randomly on the map.
Be quick to fetch it, it will disappear faster than you think.
Beware of the mushrooms, they'll make you sick!

Put the sound on and enjoy!

Credits:
Dog sprite: Nerdy Teachers (https://nerdyteachers.com/Explain/Function/SPR/)
Music: @gruber_music (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=11292)

0 comments

I was playing around with Pico-8's music editor, and put this song together from memory.

I'm really happy with how it turned out, and decided to make some art for a release!

Let me know what you think.

Updated 03/03/24

Slight formatting change for compatibility with latest version of Pico-8

Updated 12/22/22

I was always somewhat dissatisfied with the song's composition, so I did another pass: Making some parts less shrill, adding some reverb, and re-arranging the transition into the second part of the song. I also cleaned up the logo a bit. I feel like it sounds and looks way better now! Let me know what you think.

(No, I'm not working on Super C. This song has just been bouncing around in my head, begging to be covered, so here we are. I still need to finish Castlevania, if and when I find time to allocate to it.)

Cart #supercboss-5 | 2024-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #stickybubbles-0 | 2022-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v00 11-09-22)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #stickybubbles

Hello fellow Piconians !

I was looking at some recent code by others and suddenly realized that we now have OVAL drawing ability ! I did not know this.

Back in GFA I had to use blitter stretch to get this kind of bubble effect. Of course in GFA you also had 24-bit color so I made the bubbles brighter on the edge and darker in the middle so they had a great luminescence about them.

I could do that here I suppose except with 16-colors it won't look so great.

Anyways what =IS= interesting and entertaining is that the bigger bubbles are sti-i-icky and they peel off the bottom of the screen before BOINGING upwards !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #lothbrok_ad-0 | 2022-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The year is 1.000.000 AD, you are Ragnar Lothbrok MCXIII, the galaxy's most lethal warrior. You have reached an age where your use to The Supreme Galactic Empire is in decline and the Empire's war council has allowed you to go out in a blaze of glory, to spare you from tarnishing your reputation with the weakness that follows old age. You have been given a vessel and set loose in an arena filled to the brim with slaves from the warrior planet Xlorgon VI. Slaughter as many as you can, as you drown in an ocean of blood and glory.

HOW TO PLAY

Use right/left arrows to rotate your ship, Z to accelarate, and X to shoot.

Kill the green monsters for points, and pick up power-ups for health and temporary weapon upgrades, plus 2 points.If using a joystick or gamepad (recommended), you can press ESC, or the Start button on your gamepad, to open a pause menu. From there go to options and controls to test the layout of your controller.

To reset the high score, on the title screen, hold the shoot button for ~4 seconds, or until you see the message: "high score reset" on screen.

Press ALT+Enter to toggle full-screen.

Thank you for playing!

UPDATE v1.02

-Added cursor for easier aiming and positioning
-Increased rotational friction
-Decreased rotational max speed
-New enemy type

9 comments

I humbly request a bit of CSS attention for the BBS message editing interface in a mobile browser. The cursor mostly stays visible when typing, but textareas and previews get cut off on the right at mobile widths and I can’t relocate my cursor for edits easily if the text I want to edit is off the screen. It probably just needs a light massage. (I’d suggest a specific CSS change except I’m on mobile rn. ;) )

8 comments

The fifth parameter of clip() controls whether to make the previous clip smaller, or replace it. For instance...

cls()
clip(16, 16, 16, 16) -- small box in upper left
clip(64, 64, 32, 16) -- wide box in middle-ish
rectfill(0, 0, 127, 127, 12) -- fill clipped region with blue

This only fills the second region, since the first one was replaced with the second. But if I put true as the fifth parameter, like this:

clip(16, 16, 16, 16, true)
clip(64, 64, 32, 16, true)
rectfill(0, 0, 127, 127, 12)

This draws nothing, since the second clip didn't intersect with the first, and therefore canceled it out. So my question is, can I add on to the clipped region rather than subtracting from it or replacing it? Like maybe...

clip(16, 16, 16, 16, "add")
clip(64, 64, 32, 16, "add")
rectfill(0, 0, 127, 127, 12) -- fill both regions with blue

If there isn't an equivalent of this already, then this is a suggestion. True and false could still be accepted as arguments for backwards compatibility, but additionally, "replace", "intersect", and "add" could be accepted. Possibly 0, 1, and 2 also.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #kill_kenny-8 | 2022-12-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Vous êtes vous déjà demandé où allait Kenny quand il mourrait ? Venez on vous montre.

Juste un petit jeux créer par notre équipe dans le cadre d'un projet au sein de l'école Ada tech school à Nantes
(M,C,K)

Note : Nous avons remplacés les gros mot par des censure pour que cela soit un peu plus "kid friendly"

9 comments

Ada Tech School

Kristina Kirakosiani, Laurie Biguet, Theo Seuge

Main character of the game, Molly lives in a pretty countryside, near the river. One day Molly decides to go for a walk and she forgets it's Halloween! Instead of her village, she finds herself in the city of ghosts! To get out of the ghost town she must find candy and give to the ghosts to be able to move forward and return to her village.

Cart #halloween_ghosts-0 | 2022-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #x_ray-0 | 2022-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple example of an x-ray effect using bitplane masking.

Using bitplane have the advantage of having both values (skins and skeleton) in a single sprite, but you're quite limited in the number of available colors.

How it work :

There only one sprite in the sprite sheet, but as you can see, the palette have redundancy.

To be concise, by removing the first bitplane, we're essentially shifting all odd numbered colors to the even color right before them, so color 1 become color 0, color 3 become color 2 and so on.

3 comments

Cart #lukily-0 | 2022-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Lukily Together

Luke and Emily are getting married! Now they have to cooperate to get all the rings, find their cat, and get to the end of the game!
This is a short two player game about helping each other and that we're always stronger together than alone. With a bit of friendly competition sprinkled on top!

HOW TO PLAY
Each player controls either Luke or Emily. Use standard controls to move and jump.
P1 - arrows + M
P2 - S/F + Q

CREDITS
Design/Art/Code: Johan Peitz (@johanpeitz)
Music/Sound: Vav ( @vavmusicmagic)
Cabinet: Mark Kleeb (@markkleeb)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #mot_chopper-1 | 2022-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update: Updated cart to latest version. This is probably close to what will be released.

A work-in-progress helicopter combat flight simulation. Loosely based on my memories of playing Gunship on C64 a few decades ago.

The heli can be controlled with player 1 input:

• By default the arrow keys control the cyclic stick.
  • Hold down circle (z) to switch to collective (up/down) and tail rotor (left/right).
  • Hold down cross (x) for weapons mode, where up/down cycles between targets, and left/right selects the weapon.
  • Tap cross (x) quickly to fire.

So to take off, hold down circle (z) and up.

Alternatively you can use player 2 input (E,S,D,F in keyboard) for collective and tail rotor.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #tozefarumi-0 | 2022-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

8 comments

I would love to see the following feature added to the sprite editor:

Keyboard shortcuts for changing the active drawing tool. This would be especially useful when editing in 'full frame' mode and the tool buttons are not visible.

Suggestion:

p - pen
s - stamp (Note: currently used for select, see below)
f - fill (Note: currently used for flip, see below)
c - circle/oval
l - line
b - box (also know as rectangle, but r is already used for rotate)

Notes:

The s key is already used for select in pen mode, but I never use it, because it's the same as the Shift key. The key could be re-assigned IMHO.

The f key is already used for flipping horizontally. But it's the same as the H key. The key could be re-assigned IMHO.

More ideas:

Because in full-view mode, you can't see the tools, it would be nice to show the active tool in the bottom status bar (or perhaps in the top bar?). As a bonus, why not show the currently active color there too?

4 comments

Cart #justademo-1 | 2022-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #justademo-0 | 2022-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

after bside, this will be done

3 comments

(Wow ! Where did the cart go ?)

Because there are idiots in the world. Yep. And I have to write code so that they don't light firecrackers up their nose. SIGH I will return when this program is considerably safer.

(v07 11-08-22)

If you use this cart it is at your own risk cause it's not here for download now.

VVhat's new ?

1. SAFETY OPTIONS, thanks to @freds72 and @scambier.

Hello there !

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. This is indeed NOT a Pico-8 game but a useful utility and one I had need of for quite some time now.

First off giving credit where credit is due, I am making use of @Heracleum's convenient picture to PRINT, especially since it's only 1-color and she is using ONE-OFF to do this. To make use of this utility yourself, go HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=49901

Now what does this program do ? Just what it says. It is indeed a utility to help you compress files with 7zip. 7zip if you do not know is a standard and FREE utility to compress files. Some compression can be quite high especially files that are text only. It is also a standard practice to compress programs or games that exceed megabytes for storage.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

24 comments

lani or jelpi for bside?

0 comments

Cart #darkmario-0 | 2022-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

hello, we present you "Dark Mario" which is similar as Mario bros but with horror effect, grenade as attack and multiple monsters. No princess to save this time, just you, the monsters and the time. You need to finish the game before the time is up. It's not perfect but hope you gonna enjoy it. Xoxo

1 comment

Cart #literallyjustpong-0 | 2022-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Literally Just Pong is a one-on-one pong game with sprinkled with extra powerups and loads of customizability.

"Literally Just Pong" was a silly little pong game created in PICO-8 as a little time waster project towards the end of the school year. Eventually, it spun out of control and I started adding computer players, a big settings menu, and over-polishing the graphics and feel of the game. I'm quite happy with how it turned out in the end, even if it's a bit mundane, I mean, it's just pong.

The code is quite messy, and fairly uncommented. (Oops.) The function names do most of the heavy-lifting when it comes to understanding the code. I plan to come back to this project and comment the code a bit, and maybe even add a few extra features.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

A couple options (totally different methods) to display big titles, e.g. a 'game over' screen or 'the end' in the style of silent movies.

Method 1 - Map and sprite tiles

You draw a few sprite tiles with corners and reusable portions to form your title.
Pros: all the advantages of Pico-8's maps and easy to edit your title
Cons: you need some free area in your Map and you spend tiles of your spritesheet

Method 2 - P8scii One-Off characters

You can use this spritesheet to P8scii string converter here to obtain a printable string that will display the title (or logo etc..).
Pros: no map, no spritesheet, just a big string
Cons: pick your image carefully, avoid one with many stray pixels (read hints in the linked One-off page) or it will eat compressed characters space.

Press:

• Z to restart the animation.
  • X to swap the method (One-off gfx / map)

Cart #oldtimeytitle-0 | 2022-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->