BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hello.

I use RND() quite a bit, don't you ?

I have noticed in other game programming languages that you can have a 2nd argument for the rnd() command. Currently Pico-8 does not do this. It's quite useful though. Here's an example:

a=rnd(1,10)

Will for instance choose an integer random number between and including 1 through 10. This:

a=rnd(10,1)

Will give the same results. This however:

a=rnd(-4,4)

Will give you a random integer number between and including -4 to 4.

The function of which:

function rndrange(a,b)
  if (a>b) a,b=b,a
  return a+rnd(b-a+1)\1
end

How about it guys and @zep, do you think this is a good addition for Pico-8, to add a 2nd argument to already existing rnd() function ? Or a new function altogether, rrnd() for Range Random.

4 comments

Cart #ada_haunted_house-2 | 2022-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game created during a 6-days sprint by 3 software developers in training !
Check out our feminist and inclusive coding school in Paris : Ada Tech School https://adatechschool.fr/

Your goal : find the key to escape this haunted house.
Beware of the zombies... and hurry : you only have 40 seconds to get out !

7 comments

Cart #projectunicorn000-2 | 2022-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Project Unicorn, is a small game where you have to exit the city, and go back to the magic garden and find your mom.
you can press x to fight enemies.

it's our first game, and we're very happy to share it with you !

4 comments

Cart #vortex_blackwhole-0 | 2022-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

Cart #codev_22-0 | 2022-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

WELCOME TO CODEV 22 !
Go back home without getting infected by the virus!

A project by AdaTechSchool students in Paris (Hugo, Maëva et Iris).

All feedback is appreciated, enjoy!

4 comments

ox4
by XO4
Cart #ox4-2 | 2022-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

By Jeremy Zynger, Joanne Longeville and Nolwen Major Francès.

Check out our feminist and inclusive coding school in Paris : Ada Tech School https://adatechschool.fr/

5 comments

Cart #thevisitor-0 | 2022-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It has been many years since the end of the War. As you step off the small boat that carried you to this place you feel like a stranger. Is this home any more?

Uncover the secrets of the past in this short #horror adventure game for Pico8.

Enjoy! :)

Dev notes

This game was made over about three weeks for Horrorjam. We only had the idea for the jam a week into October you see. Briefly, Horrorjam is (ostensibly) ran 1st to 30th October, with the goal being to submit a vaguely horror/spooky-themed game in time for Halloween.

This is an adventure/horror game with multiple endings and (hopefully) lots of interesting things to discover and find out, I don't really want to give away any more than that for fear of spoiling things.

Making a horror game for the first time and having not played all that many horror games, this was a challenge to say the least. I've never made such a story-heavy game before, I tend to stick to arcadey games, so making something less action-packed and more slower-paced was fun/challenging too. I felt really unsure how to inject some Horror into proceedings. I didn't want to make a 'jumpscare monster chases you' game as I couldn't see that working in Pico-8, so I had to come up with a creepy story instead--intimidating!

My iceberg problem in this was thinking that once I had chat, an inventory system, and different entities (NPCs, scenery, items) that everything would just fall in place and I'd have a relaxed couple of weeks coming up with a really dense adventure game. That was absolutely not the case. Also proper y-sorting so things are displayed behind each other correctly was something I left to an hour before the deadline, so you can imagine how elegant and carefully designed that is.

I got inspiration for the fractal trees from this cart by @bjornkri: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36014

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Look at the sky with stars and the moon! There are also different moons, changing the lighting and the position of the moon and a creepy music (I wanted to make a beautiful music), but they can be set only in the code.

When I tried to make this post with the cartridge for some reason the title turned into "StarShot 350" (If I recall correctly) and I couldn't change the title, tags and the description (I couldn't change the tags and the description too). :P

Cart #stars-2 | 2022-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

How to delete an element in table instead of using

x = {10,40,70}
x[2] = nil

Because it will make an element empty

x = {10,nil,70}

Expected result is

x = {10,70}
4 comments

Cart #wheres_my_teddy-2 | 2023-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A maze game created during a 6-days sprint by 3 female software engineers in training!

Have fun!

Edit 1 : second version online, we fixed the map problem that allowed the player to wander into the graphic menus right of the 3rd level :)

Edit 2 : the game menus are now in English (rather than in French)!

Edit 3 : new version with fixed maps! You can now navigate the maps knowing if you'll end up in a wall or not :)

9 comments

As the title say, latest version for PICO-I8 do crash under the latest (non beta) version of Mac OS (13.0)

I suspect it is a bug in SDL2:

Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   AMDRadeonX6000MTLDriver       	    0x7ffa1dbe1c11 gfx10MtlSimpleCompute_Dispatch(GFX10SimpleComputeDispatcherRec*, GFXAAMD_MtlComputePipelineState const*, unsigned int const*, unsigned int const*, unsigned int, unsigned int*) + 1305
1   AMDRadeonX6000MTLDriver       	    0x7ffa1dbe1ea1 amdMtlDispatchInternalComputeShader(GFXAAMD_MtlCmdBuffer*, GFXAAMD_MtlComputePipelineState const*, unsigned int const*, unsigned int const*, MTLIOAccelResource**, unsigned long long*, unsigned int, MTLIOAccelResource**, unsigned int, GFXAAMD_MtlTexture**, unsigned int, bool, unsigned int, unsigned int*) + 453
2   AMDRadeonX6000MTLDriver       	    0x7ffa1dbe424f -[GFX10_MtlCmdBuffer commit] + 393
3   SDL2                          	       0x10969bcf1 0x10968a000 + 72945
4   pico8                         	       0x1090b525d codo_blit_to_video_plat + 1645

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=119990#p)
5 comments

Cart #fasteste-1 | 2022-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This mod removes any and all pause or freeze from Celeste Classic, so that player control is never lost.

• game start is instantaneous
  • spawning is instantaneous
  • death is instantaneous
  • dash no longer freezes the game
  • big chest and orb don't freeze
  • and more!

This mod is based on smalleste.

1 comment

Cart #starjumps-2 | 2023-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

StarJump

This is Version 1.1 of StarJump, the lightsaber-themed JumpNRun.

What is it about?

You are a lightsaber wielding somebody trying to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Use your lightsaber skills, jumps and runs to beat all 3 levels and, if you can, collect all 10 stars per Level.

How to play

Use X to attack and O to Jump. Press X+O together for a higher dash. Note that you can doublejump! Also note that you deflect laser shots whilst you're attacking.

Good to know

You can restart the current level via the pause menu, you'll also find an option to toggle the timer and music.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #spoikemines-4 | 2022-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Yet Another Bombsweeper

The objective of the game is to clear the board of bombs, much like the classic minesweeper.

You may use either the d-pad or mouse to control the pointer.

Click on a tile or (X) to reveal it. If the revealed tile was hiding a bomb, you'll explode. If the revealed tile has a number it indicates how many bombs are in adjacent tiles.

Right click or (O) to flag/unflag a tile.

Click on a numbered tile to attempt a chord. A chord opens or flags tiles around the selected one depending on how many bombs are in adjacent tiles versus revealed tiles.

Game options (RETURN or pause button) includes:

• Chord toggles for auto reveal and auto flagging.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #fogoyegano-1 | 2022-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

-Arrow keys to move to the next room or navigate the shop.
-Z to block or purchase items.
-X to attack or exit the shop.
-Z+X to use special items.

Rules

You must delve into the endless dungeon whilst defeating monsters and collecting gold. Gold can be used to buy health, weapon upgrades, and special items. The shop will appear every 10 rooms.

When in combat you must choose to block or attack. After your turn, the enemy will attack and there will be a random chance you will be hit. The enemies' health and hit chance will increase after every shop.

You can also use a special item. You will start out with the 'run' item but other items can be purchased at the shop. Special items will have a cooldown after each usage. Here is a list of all the special items:

-'Run' allows you to escape an encounter.
-'Defence' gives you armour (indicated in the top right) and will protect you from the next hit.
-'Bomb' will give you a damage buff.
-'Full heal' will give you full health.

When you die your run will be over and you must start again from room 1.

Description

This is an endless first-person dungeon-crawler made in Pico8. This is my first time making a game like this so feedback is much appreciated.

Story

You find yourself in a seemingly endless dungeon. You are lost and have an urge to just keep going deeper. As you go deeper you start to encounter ghosts, skeletons, and other monsters. Maybe they're defending something? Maybe if you go deep enough there will be an exit?

Updates

Version 1.1

Improvements

After gathering some feedback I have made the following changes:

-There is now a small chance that you can encounter a friendly NPC that will either heal you or give you gold. This
will be influenced by the direction you have travelled in.
-To make the shield seem more useful I have changed the special item system to require you to block with your shield
before you use it.
-I have also changed the special item system so that you only use X instead of Z+X to use special items. This
addresses the issue of some people finding it difficult to press Z+X at the same time without accidentally
attacking or blocking.
-In the shop, you now have to navigate to the exit using the arrow keys instead of pressing X to leave.
-I have also fixed a bug where you could over-heal by purchasing more lives than you had max hp.

Known Issues

Special items such as 'Run' and 'Bomb' seem to cause the 'you have blocked' text to stay up until the next encounter as the player needs to wait until the next encounter for their turn to properly end.

Future Improvements

In the future, I would like to make the combat less luck based. Originally I had planned to give each enemy an attack pattern and so I might try to implement that in the future.

New music would also be nice to add as the current song isn't great and it gets repetitive fast.

Images

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #spooky_checkers-1 | 2022-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Spooky Checkers is my first complete(ish) game!

Current Functionality:

• Supports 2 players (best with gamepads)
  • Allows kings and double jumps.
  • Splash screen when someone wins.

TODO:

• Splash screen
  • Basic music
  • basic SFX.
2 comments

Yo @zep,

It'd be nice if draw_tabs were one of the options in the config command.

Indeed, it would probably be a good idea to do a once-over on the whole config.txt and see what else would be good to add to the command.

I say this because someone noted on Discord that there's no way to make tab characters visible on the edu version. Probably among other things that people on the edu version would benefit from.

Personally, I love visible tab characters, so I want everyone to have the option to try them.

Edit: as requested below, for anyone unsure what I'm talking about, here's a sample image with draw_tabs set to 1 (and also tab_width set to 2). Note the wine-colored vertical line at the left edge of the tab characters, which also neatly masquerade as scope guides.

(Also edit: Woo, BBS thread #50000.)

11 comments

Hone your cart hacking abilities with this HackTheBox like cart!
Your objective is to get to the hidden link using the terminal.
I suggest you don't look at the code before solving it as that will ruin the fun.
Also, you don't have to brute force the link. There is a genuine solution.

What you know:
All the links are stored in a table called links, but the links are local. What now? Hmm...

Have fun solving this challenge!

Cart #hacking2-0 | 2022-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Just a demo of grapple hook that badly works on spaghetti code.

Arrows - Move
Up arrow - Jump
Right Mouse - Activate grapple hook
Left Mouse - Go to the grapple hook

Cart #grapple_hook_demo-0 | 2022-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #halloween-2 | 2022-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->