BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

(v00 07-15-22)

Cart #joystix-1 | 2022-07-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #joystix

VVHAT'S NEW ??
(07-17-22)

• Changed [A] and [B] buttons to 🅾️ and ❎.

Thanks @paloblancogames !

I did not see a cart that showed both controller buttons so I thought I would write one up here - mostly so I can try and find out and debug why my external joystick doesn't work properly when running a Pico-8 cart from Online.

While Joystick #1 is the regular UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT arrow keys, both buttons 🅾️ and ❎ are denoted by the "Z" and "X" keys.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #kindawarm-0 | 2022-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #thinice-0 | 2022-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

THIN ICE

A top-down precision platformer where you play as an ice-skating snowman's head.

CONTROLS

arrow keys: walk, skate
x (when red): boost
z: toggle time

CREDITS

Code/art/design: Holy Mahogany (twitter, website)
Music/SFX: Gruber (twitter, website)

This game is -- in very loose terms -- a mod of Celeste Classic 2. It uses some of that game's code, and borrows Celeste mechanics, including collectible produce and a modified dash.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Full Controller Support

This question has probably been asked before but:
Is there any reason we can't have full controller support as a DevKit option? I know stuff like this exists but it feels janky and convoluted. And I know that full controller goes against the spirit of pico-8, but so does mouse and keyboard, so I feel like logically controller would be fine as a DevKit flag. Is there some technical reason this can't be done? Or is it just not a priority in general? Thanks for any answers!

(I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times, so if there's a thread I should see please point me there)

5 comments

Cart #lemon_industries-4 | 2022-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Lemon Industries

Lemon Industries is a puzzle game inspired by Severance, a weird TV show. In this game you work for Lemon Industries as a novice data sorter, and your task is to process files stored on a special computer. Since not much is explained to you, try to find clues, observe, research and feel free to experiment.

Important: the game contains no spoilers and there are no actual references to the TV show! The visuals are similar but the content is not.

Controls and saving:
File selection:

• up, down and x

Data sorting:

• move around with left, right, up, down

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

(v00 07-15-22)

Cart #secret_snake2-0 | 2022-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #secret_snake2

A couple of years back I wrote a post called, "The Secret Of The Snake" and it was me investigating the complex code involved in making a "Snake" type game. In the link below, the only way I knew was to update the entire screen, in the case I wrote was 16x16 and keep track of the snake segments this way.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35685

Thanks to @SquidLight and the marvelous "array rotation" code I am now able to create a true "snake" type program where only two pixels are drawn at a time.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

(v03 07-14-22)

Cart #gentle_rain-3 | 2022-07-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #gentle_rain

VVhat's new ?

(07-14-22) 2:36pm

• Added SPEED variable so you can confirm the animation is perfect now. It was skipping a few frames before.

There are a great many ways to create rain effects in a video-game, and Pico-8 is no exception.

In this link below can see years ago I did rain effects in the beginning by drawing a single 8x8 sprite randomly all over the screen and I had appropriate "rumble" of the rain in the background.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27743

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #pikochan-0 | 2022-07-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a tribute to old arcade game such as Popeye or Donkey Kong.

You play as pikochan (inpired bu nikochan from Dr Slump).
You must collect pink and golden poop (also inspired by Dr Slump ^^ ).
Avoid boulder and use elevator through 8 levels.

The code is fully commented and you can easily tweek/add levels of your own.

Have a nice game!

2 comments

Cart #stripe_print-0 | 2022-07-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi All,

This is just a quick util method for printing in multiple colours per line of pixel. Its probably been done many time before but this is just my take on it.

The function in question is 41 tokens:

function stripe(txt, x, y, cols)
	local w = print(txt,x,y,0)
	for i=1,#cols do
		clip(x,y+i-1,w,1)
		print(txt,x,y,cols[i])
	end
end

cols is an array of colours which should be at least as large as the height of the text being printed. For normal text this will be 5 values, but if split into multiple lines or you print bigger text then you need more values.

In the cart I've demonstrated some uses of it including a scrolling table that could be used as an effect.

2 comments

I'm still working in Pico-8 code on my own project, hopefully I'll be able to post it pretty soon.

In the meantime, I was checking out MESEN which is a good emulator for the 8-bit Nintendo and wondered if there was a way to convert a Pico-8 program to 8-bit NES (Nintendo) or SNES (Super Nintendo) format ?

The advantages would be high. There are so many good NES and SNES emulators for every single cellphone, tablet, many portable gaming consoles, and computers out - it would greatly increase the traffic and desire for Pico-8, not just for those who want to play the games, but those people who want to program market their games for these unique formats making them available worldwide and for more than just Java/ Macintosh/ Windows/ HTML executable and runtime.

It would also add the ability of load/save state, rewind, hacks, cheat search, audio improvement (echo + surround), graphics (filters such as HQ4x, xBRZ, 2xSai, SuperEagle, and standard bilinear interpretation) as many of the more popular NES and SNES emulators include these abilities and functions.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #mmdemo-4 | 2022-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've been working on a platformer game engine for a little while, but I'd only made a basic run-and-jump. This was an excuse to develop something more capable. While I'm not immediately planning to demake an entire Mega Man game, with PicoMap, my metatile-based map system, it seems possible. I've been working on pixel art and layouts for some levels, so I'll see where things go.

Changelog:

v1.02

• Added start menu with 8 selectable weapons
  • Weapon type changes character colors
  • Each weapon type has unique behavior
  • Addded entity spawning system
  • Added enemies that fire bullets at player and respawn
  • Added simple explosions when enemies are destroyed
  • Added a couple frames of coyote time for jumping off of platform edges
  • Improved ladder collision
  • Under 2000 tokens

v1.01

• Added teleport intro and auto restart
  • Added damage system and energy meter
  • Tweaked run animation

v1.0

• 60 fps
  • Variable jump height
  • Scrolling threshold
  • Full character animation
  • Ladders
  • Shooting while running, jumping, and climbing
  • Insta-kill spikes
  • Death explosions
  • Conveyor belts
  • Restart
  • Under 1000 tokens

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #loan_simulator-1 | 2022-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In keeping with my name, I have created a loan simulator. It's nothing fancy, although, I did add
some bells and whistles.
It can handle $120 owed, $120 paid per month, and, interest rates from 100-200%.

Buttons:

X - Move time forward.
O - Move time backward.
Up - Change menu items.
Down - Bring down menu/Change menu items.
Left - Move time forward/Change menu items.
Right - Move time backward/Change menu items.

Behind the scenes:

Take away everything else and this is just a mathematical function f(x)=(Owed-Paid_per_month)*interest.
X grows or shrinks every loop and the result is drawn to the screen.

Programming notes:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #someguyadventure-0 | 2022-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's far from my first ever game but I recently discovered pico-8 and decided to give it a go.

To make this very short game I followed Dylan Bennett's "PICO-8 Top-Down Adventure Game Tutorial" on YouTube which can be found here https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdLmU93eWisKpyk1WZywUSYAq5dkCPFIv

I am loving PICO-8 so far and am very impressed with some of the carts I've seen. I'll definitely keep making stuff because it's a lot of fun. This is the cutest game dev tool I have ever seen! I was already sold on the concept when I looked into it but finding out you can export games as an image of a cartridge was the icing on the cake!

I'm Misty, or The Scrunkly Creature, they/she/it, and very excited to make and share cool stuff.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #jariputuda-0 | 2022-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

i saw that pico8 got a free version so i decide to make a small game

i kinda new in to developing games ,and that why the game is so simple , or maybe is because pico8 token count said he hates me,
who knows.

about the game he is kinda_like a rougue like , he very inspired in the binding of issac, but simpler
every door do something

yellow

is the item room

pink one

is a mystery can have enemies or good_stuff

the brown one

is just a enemy room

the controls are the keybord keys and z and x
z are shot
x use card

diss game is not that good , is very short and you can see that, is more like train to flex my programing skils that anything .

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #adventure_time_2-0 | 2022-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #ssorbcart-0 | 2022-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi,

This is a game I made for a 72 hour Game Jam on itch. The theme of the game jam was "music" with the limitation being "gravity is under your control". People seemed to like it, so I thought I should post it here as well.

At each of the large planets there is an alien that sings a tune. By playing the tune correctly you earn a new ability that will help you get to other planets. If you complete all 4 songs you can finish the game by visiting the final large planet. There are also optional pick-ups to collect.

I actually have a handful of unpublished Pico-8 games as well, but I'll space them out so they get some room to breath and don't clog up the BBS.

EDIT: Here is some missing instructions about the music part. In music playing mode the arrow keys become music keys, with each of them representing one tone. If you hold X while in music mode, the arrow keys will shift up 4 tones to complete the octave. Whenever you press or release the X key the shift will wait for you to change which key you're pressing before shifting.

6 comments

Cart #blitz-0 | 2022-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my last pico-8 cart for some time.
This game was meant to have a lot more content but it was cut just so the game would be released today.
Development hell is horrible!!
Don't expect much from this game.

3 comments

https://pico-8.fandom.com/wiki/P8SCII_Control_Codes#Audio_commands
Because there doesn't seem to be a method to specify the audio channels with "\a" I am trying to transfer my sound effects to the sfx editor.

I don't understand how to do this though. Let's take this example:
?"\as16x3a0"
s16...spd set to 16
no volume is specified so the fourth column is 5 by default
x3...final 5th column set to 3 for all notes
a0...note a(press n cause idk how to type it in manually) and octave 0

In the sfx editor that gets me, with spd=16, this:
a 0053

?"\as16x3a0" does not sound like that at all....so idk what I'm missing here. I need to figureout how to do it for notes like ?"\as9x3a-2i0dd1" which includes "-" being a sharp and idk how to input a sharp at all, # seems to be the keys above n's row.

Would appreciate an explanation on what I am missing here, and if there is a way to transfer it without manually going through it like this.

6 comments

Cart #bullz_beta-0 | 2022-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello there !

It's been a while since I've uploaded a thing here, and tweaked over pico-8.
It seems I'm just having fun playing around with cool effects and juicing the most out of shooting bullets. I thought I'd just share with you the lil' demo I've made so far, as I'm planning to turn it into a simple shooting rogue-lite once day.

Don't mind about keyboard and mouse
-2 players
-O to shoot
-X to generate bublles

Hope you'll enjoy what you see, and don't bother too much about what's happening on screen, it's HEAVILY EXPERIMENTAL. Next step will be to implement some sort of IA, make a proper menu, or just trying to get cooler speed effects as it looks desperatly flat at the moment.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #hetifotohi-1 | 2022-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Grab tha fishy

Controls

-Press Z to start
-Press X to toggle on and off the water background texture
-Use the Arrow Keys to move
-Use X to grab

Rules

You have 10 seconds to grab as many fish as possible and avoid grabbing the trash. Each fish is worth 250 points, trash is a deduction of 250 points, and there is a gold coin worth 1000 points.

Images

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->