BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This is my first game I make on PICO-8, it's called Flappy Block, it's like Flappy Bird but a bit easier.

Enjoy the game!

Cart #flappyblock-0 | 2022-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:
Up arrow: Jump
X: Play again

Thanks to Dylan Bennett for making the tutorial of this game.

The high score is 7272 (4gateftw's high score)

4 comments

Cart #lolololololololollollolol-1 | 2022-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

this is a test for minecraft movement, i know its CRINGE

3 comments

Cart #dievirus-3 | 2022-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Let me know what you think! A demo, 15 levels, no sound or music yet, working title, etc.

4 comments

Cart #jewupanuza-0 | 2022-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A first attempt at a pico8 chess engine.
Move generation is currently unoptimised so AI is fairly slow and doesn't have a great depth search.

-- Controls --
Use arrow keys to select a piece
Use z to confirm
Use x to disable AI

13 comments

Cart #piyuzuyuyu-0 | 2022-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Finished the tutorial from "Gamedev with PICO-8!" I changed a few things for aesthetics, but otherwise its the same game lol.

I never would've understood what the workflow looked like or how to use all the different tools without help, so thank you to the people who made the zine!

2 comments

Cart #alterego-5 | 2022-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

PICO-8 WIP port of RetroSouls Alter Ego game

You control a hero who has a phantom twin, his alter ego. When the hero moves, the alter ego moves too in a mirrored fashion. In some levels the movements are mirrored horizontally, in other ones they are mirrored vertically. You can switch between the hero and his alter ego limited number of times in a level…

Controls

• arrows = walk and climb
  • Z = Switch place with ego
  • X = Switch place with ego

Contact

@smnarnold

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Amogus in celeste

Cart #amongus_in_celeste-8 | 2022-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This Celeste mod does in addition to changing some sprites.
It also makes Celeste's levels a little bit easier.

---Last Change/s---
A few small changes in the music of the game.
The title song of the game changed.

12 comments

Starting With Basics:

Right off the bat I got used to the environment. Seeing all the different menus, EVERYTHING IS CAPTIAL, where code goes and general feels. I really do like the aesthetic of the whole environment. Than I began like anyone does with going to YouTube and typing pico 8! Coming from C++ and Java the set up was interesting to learn. _Init, _Update and _Draw are all different functions to put certain other functions in, how crazy! With the tutorials I learned basic of variable setup and making shapes on screen AND MADE MY FIRST PICO 8 PRODUCT! I call it .rainbowshape which just creates a rainbow shape go figure:

<- Wow now that looks cool I think...
✨✨✨✨rainbowshapes✨✨✨✨

Sprites Are Hard

With the basics underway I began tutorials on 2D sprite movement and notice how bad I am at pixel art. Granted I have never done it before but trying to draw a little guy is harder than it seems. I have to think about size and shape? What if I want to make an octopus, how do I do draw that in 8-bit??? BUT with some more practice I actually made a little Link's Awakening prototype.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #bonkers2-0 | 2022-05-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #ghostdetective-2 | 2022-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

In Ghost Detective's first case, you float around a house, take photographs of evidence and solve a murder.

Be tactical about what you want to know more about, you only have a limited amount of photos. But no pressure – after your first run, you can always go back and find every last crumb of information.

Arrow Keys to move
X to take photos
Z/Y to whistle

v1.2 adds an option to disable screenshake

You can also find the game on itch.io:
https://snobird.itch.io/ghost-detective

5 comments

BUTTERPAN [v1.0.0]

Cart #butterpan_v1-0 | 2022-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

STORY

Its Butterpan! Join butter boy on his slippery adventure. try not to melt while gathering all the coins and gems! But watch out! Sometimes the pan gets really hot or someone drops a crab into the pan! See how high of a score you can get!

CONTROLS

arrow keys to move
[o] button to dash
[x] button to shoot hot butter
the meter on the right is how much butter you have left, if it drops to zero you lose.

Extras

this is my first pico-8 cartridge! I could use some feed back on the game and its game play. Have fun! (my personal best score is something like 5000 points)

3 comments

Controls
Arrows to move
X to jump
O to shoot

What to do

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #mario_music_demo-3 | 2022-11-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

During an late evening, I've written a small music demo with music from the Super Mario Bros. to experiment with dynamically loading music into the SFX and pattern banks before playing for more complex scores.

It's not quite finished yet, here are the tracks currently implemented:

• Overworld
  • Underground
  • Castle
  • Starman
  • Course Clear
  • Castle Clear
  • 100 Seconds
  • Too Bad
  • Game Over

There is still some leftover code for dumping the tracks from the tracker. I'll decouple it when I'm done.

3 comments

Cart #momentumjam-3 | 2022-05-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Jam version:

Cart #momentumjam-0 | 2022-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

Arrow Keys - Menu navigation
X - select / hook / unhook

Description:

The first version of this game was made over a week for the Illinois State Summer 2022 game jam. Theme: Momentum

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #discograph-1 | 2022-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple tweet cart project made in an interactive random spiro shapes generator.

X to reroll

C to switch to disco colors

Tweetcart : https://twitter.com/IvanJoukov/status/1526962572083269632

0 comments

Cart #khatipke-0 | 2022-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Another iteration of Conway's game of life this time using drawing tools and tables.

1 comment

@zep

Every now and then I get directed to a BBS post with a cart that I genuinely to see, but which is making my headphones screech into my ears because it's so loud.

Thing is, I already have both my system volume and my app-specific browser volume set to sensible levels for all other content, so I can't reasonably dial down the volume pre-emptively.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's appropriate for a game to do something loud, albeit briefly, so I wouldn't expect you to limit it in the player either.

Really, I think the solution is to have a slider of some sort on the web player. Even if it's limited to 8 different levels, like PICO-8 is internally, that'd help.

Maybe if the user right-clicks (or presses and holds) on the speaker icon, it pops up a slider that can be adjusted?

I dunno if it should be persistent and/or global. For reference, Youtube seems to be both, i.e. the most recent change you made becomes the default for the next video, regardless of how many windows you have open with different settings.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #skelethrone-6 | 2022-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

SKELETHRONE!!!

the best spelunkylike on the market is back for the fourth time, even more goty than last years!!!
update of the classic skelethrone made for #3CJAM
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=30157

CONTROLS

X - SWAP ITEM
Z/C - USE ITEM

INTRUCTIONS

DIVE INTO DEPTHS AND REACH THE SKELETHRONE

FEATURES

• 60 FPS HIGH SPEED GAMEPLAY
  • 16 COLORS PALETTE TECNOLOGY
  • NEW SECRETS
  • FULLY FLEDGE DIABLO ON MOBILE