BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #christmassneks2021-3 | 2022-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the story of a hard working Christmas elf. I was never told their name. I call them Blinky. They had one last task to complete late one Christmas Eve: String some lights, plug them in, and connect them to the finial atop the tree. Easy for a smart elf like Blinky. Too bad they never finished that electrician's course...

Game Play

Connect the loose bulbs by touching them with the exposed wire from the light string. Loose bulbs are always safe, but if the string is connected to power and you touch the string to itself, some of the bulbs will explode. Electricity is powerful, but dangerous. Be careful with it.

There are three possible endings and eleven achievements to earn.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hey, can somebody help me to make a cartridge? I wanna make a platform game.

1 comment

Cart #jetpack_platformer-0 | 2021-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Made for Jame Gam Christmas Edition - 2021

This is my first, complete game!!

Cart #rgugotufo-1 | 2021-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I would've like to have done music but ran out of time. I joined with only 2 days to go and it was a mad dash to finish. I can think of many things that I can do better next time (the code is really wonky. What a great learning experience! I welcome all comments and criticisms!

Thanks for playing!

2 comments

Cart #ninogetune-0 | 2021-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #santasdrones_fabsxd-2 | 2021-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SANTA'S DRONES

Have you ever wondered why you never received that Christmas present you always wanted? Maybe Santa Claus needs an updgrade to keep up with the demographic expansion of the last years. That old magic sled won't be able to carry all the presents anymore, so some lost packet is inevitable at some point! Become a Santa's drone to deliver all the lost presents in order to save Christmas and bring back the Joy to the world!

-> I believe Christmas is much more that receiving a present, btw xD

Updates

• V.2: Fixed a bug that blocked the game when you reached 500 Joy Points... Now you can actually beat the game without any worries! :)

Screenshots

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #nil_snake-0 | 2021-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

New here... Hope u enjoy...

1 comment

I'm unable to paste gfx into the bbs anymore. The ones I have in one of my cartridges are broken as well.

[8x8]

5 comments

Cart #picocade-2 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is a boot cart for my physical pico-8 arcade machine, made with botched code and freds72's picocad viewer.

7 comments

Cart #zobutogowo-0 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Feliz navidad!

Cart #feliznavidad-2 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Regalo para mis primos :)

A gift to my cousins :)

2 comments

This is my first game, Ive been learning to make stuff in pico8, it's really fun and versatile- so here's a small chill game...

Cart #namuwajaju-1 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Edit (30th Dec 2021):

I have tested this further, and it happens only when the laptop is running on battery power. On mains power, the Pico-8 window continues to draw new frames.

I have looked through the power and sleep options and power plan settings and (other than telling the screen to never turn off) do not see anything that stands out as relevant.

Original post below.

Workaround: Minimise and restore Pico-8.

Issue:

I recently set my laptop to turn the screen off when it wasn't in use for a couple of minutes.

When the screen comes back on, Pico-8 appears frozen. The first couple of times this happened I thought Pico-8 had crashed, but then I realised I could minimise and restore it to get it to start refreshing its screen again.

As this can look like a crash, it's probably something that should be fixed if possible.

I'm presuming there's a missed screen event handler, but if it's a more complex issue, and if it's any help tracking this down: I'm running pico-8 0.2.4, on a Windows 10 machine. It's a Dell laptop with an i3 processor.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Probably more an undocumented (as far as I know) or unexpected behaviour / feature, rather than a bug, but in case it is a bug, I'm posting it in the bug forum. This is something that people who are constructing long audio strings (>31 or 32 notes) with P8SCII should be aware of.

The point at which characters begin to be printed seems to vary; for me it's somewhere around the 40th character, which is likely around the 32nd of the notes in the string. (I feel it should be consistent in this - that always after the 32nd note plays it should drop back to printing text, but unless my tests or count are off this doesn't seem to be the case.)

The behaviour likely exists because the sfx playback is written for 32 note sfx lengths. For those who haven't read about the audio P8SCII: "If an sfx index is not specified, a non-active sfx between 60..63 is selected automatically. To fill the SFX with data before playback, the following commands can then be appended." Pico-8 manual

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #santa_cross-0 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It is my short-time-making challenge.
I spent two nights making this cart.
You, Santa, make children's wishes come true.
Merry Christmas!

2 comments

Cart #set_resolution-1 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

PICO-8's resolution can easily be lowered to 64x64 with:
poke(0x5f2c,3)
but it's always bothered me that you can't set the resolution to other factors of 128. So, I made this function that allows you to scale up whatever is currently drawn to the screen to any factor of 128 excluding 1 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128). The performance for 64x64 is pretty awful, so you're better off using poke(0x5f2c,3) if that's the resolution you're after. The others perform fairly well, with 32x32 using about <12% CPU and everything below it using <3%. One advantage of using this function is that after scaling down the currently drawn screen, you're free to draw over top it in full resolution, as demonstrated by the CPU performance text. I'm sure the performance can be improved somehow. I think this may be possible using memset, but I don't understand how to apply it to this case, or if it would even improve performance. If anyone has any optimizations, feel free to reply and I'll update the cart. Hope someone finds this useful!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #ikspider-0 | 2021-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Controls

Arrow keys are used to move and navigate menus, x and z are used to interact in battles while pressing z in the game will open an inventory.

Cart #tundraine-0 | 2021-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Content

Trailer

Tundraine Trailer

Information

Tundraine is a turn based RPG created by me; Shrumbo. In it you play as three adventurers knows as Alva, Aaron and Sam in search of the Ice Palace. Tundraine is my first full game and, though short, is as detailed as I could make it taking three or so months to craft the systems, art, code, and music. I really hope you enjoyed and I you want to follow me as I make other thing go to my discord and YouTube channel linked below.

Discord Server

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #notita_0-4 | 2021-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A PICO-8 version of a "falling sand" materials simulator, including sand, water, stone, wood, fire, acid, gunpowder and smoke!

Controls:

• Left mouse button / x: Paint material
  • Right mouse button / o: Clear materials
  • Click the palette on left to select material to paint
  • Slider on bottom left sets tool size

This is based on bits I remember from a talk given by the creator of the game "Noita," and the clever types of materials and behaviors from that game.

To make this run acceptably in pico-8 it only simulates in portion of the screen size. Positions and materials are represented by a pico-8 color in a Lua table of fixed positions. Materials behavior is in update60() and should be easy to hack for fun. _draw() does a little bit to make flames flicker. Since the world simulates bottom-to-top, rising materials like smoke get carried along with the update and move very fast because they 'ride' the update direction.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #miromina-3 | 2022-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 220224

• Minor bugfix on two items
  • Added 1 pixel movement buffer. It didn't feel too stiff on analogue stick, but I noticed the cornering was stiff on d-pad.

Update 220109

• Fix: All items were part of the background map tiles in the original version, which gave them somewhat wonky collision when picking up and dropping them, and they showed the background when on the floor. Now they're treated as objects on top of the background, giving a much cleaner look.
  • Fix: A side effect of the above was that sometimes the chests will duplicate when you open them. This shouldn't happen anymore, as chests are also objects with box collision now.
  • Fix: Another side effect of the above, you could place an item and replace a tile that triggers events essential to complete the game, making the game unwinnable (like in front of the statue above). Since dropping items doesn't alter the map, this shouldn't happen anymore.
  • Fix: Some items had light green and it blended into background when carrying them over the grass area. They're now darker.
  • New: "About" page added to the main menu explaining the basic gameflow. Combined with the in-game text hints, I hope this should give enough information to the player now.
  • New: Game B added where the item locations are randomized. Some items always spawn in the same place (like a key shouldn't spawn behind the door that requires a key). I might want to revise this later so that the key items will be randomized, but still spawn within reach.

I played this for an unhealthy amount of time after the first release and I could see the shortcomings (especially about the tile-swap). I feel a little better about this game now than before. My only gripe against the game now is that the two of the three stage hazard items are honestly quite useless and there's rarely any reason to pick them up.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->