BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #toshthehaggis-0 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this experiment back in 2020 and I finally decided to polish it up a bit and release it. Contains:

-Speed!
-Momentum!
-Horizontally looping level
-Loops!
-Damage!
-Collectables!
-Music!
-Rain!

Source code should be somewhat readable. It's mostly done using the Sonic Physics Guide as a reference. http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide

Also out over on itch.io: https://geeitsomelaldy.itch.io/tosh-the-haggis-pico-8-experiment

2 comments

Cart #forevertankgame-0 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

So I'm reading the docs about pico-8's memory space.

https://pico-8.fandom.com/wiki/Memory

Am I reading this right and the game code is not in addressable space? I wanted to "read" the program code at runtime using peek(...) is there any way to do this?

There's a section on that page talking about Lua memory, and separate from the pico-8 memory space. The way it's described it sound like runtime memory space for variables etc. Not what I want.

Any ideas?

13 comments

Cart #mitts_marbles-4 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mitt's Marble Adventure!

Explore the town of Townton and the surrounding area and battle EVERYBODY* in intellectual duels of marble supremacy.

*You cannot battle mom or the dog, sorry. But you can pet the dog.

This cartridge is part of the Twelve Days of Pico Christmas, our Advent Calendar project for 2021. https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45525

Stuck? Open the spoilers for some hints:

At the start of the game, go into the house and talk to Mom. The bad guy will show up. After talking to him, talk to your little brother. After that, the path forward will open.

In the town, you need to win against each of the villagers. Once you have 5 trophies, talk to the mayor. The mayor's puzzle is one of the hardest ones in the game, but it can be done. Try clearing a path in front of the gold marble with your first shot. After winning against the mayor, you can move on into the woods in the northwest.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #fomojobafo-1 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple snake clone I made on a whim.

0 comments

Cart #snowman_creator-0 | 2021-12-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game where you throw snowman parts around. Hope you enjoy!

0 comments

Holiday season, stuck at home waiting to open presents?
Despair snow more, a play of totally accurate bowling will enjoy the day!

Cart #freds72_bowling-5 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Devlog

Codebase expands from Ghost Rally, no longer limited to a single dynamic/static response.
Collision hulls are limited to solid rectangles to benefit from simplified overlapping tests and clipping maths.
The whole engine could be plugged into any 3d engine if you don't mind the staggering token cost :/

Sources are available at: https://github.com/freds72/chamboultout

The game went through multiple iterations (initial idea was a "chamboultout"), including odd things like:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #picopumpkin-0 | 2021-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

PicoPumpkin is a low-res pumpkin carving tool.
Carve and share your dream pumpkin!

Gallery

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #looploop64-0 | 2021-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This random sprite generator will never stop until it's finds the perfect 8*8 Jelpi sprite
[8x8]

2 comments

Cart #tacticalamish64-4 | 2021-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made in three days for the "one-game a week" course Playing with Games, at the Cologne Game Lab's Master of Art in Game Development and Research.

Constraints:
Randomly generated name.
Only three colors.
One button game.

2 comments

Cart #zijnubigi-0 | 2021-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple Mandelbrot Set

1 comment

Cart #celeste_boot_01-1 | 2021-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a launcher for my favorite carts of celeste
Arrow keys to select, X to launch

19 comments

Cart #tweetpaint-4 | 2021-12-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #tweetpaint

VVhat's new ?
✅ (12-21-21) Always have white cursor, suggested by
@fsdsdsffs

[8x8]

What with the Christmas holidays coming up there's a good chance a bunch of you may be stuck in line in some grocery store or shopping mall so - having seen all the little paint programs rolling around, thought I would write up my own for you to test your art skills in as you're waiting to make your purchases.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #clubpenguinbeans-0 | 2021-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I spent a day making the club penguin beans game,
I do not want to do my databases coursework

4 comments

Cart #nerfcooking_in_vegas-2 | 2021-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #dihetutoga-0 | 2021-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cart is a 10th grade class' collective extension of mboffin's Lander from his incredible GameDev Zine. Posted here to share with non-pico8 friends.

0 comments

Cart #sw_and_hw_rng-1 | 2021-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a re-implementation of PICO-8's own pseudo-random number generator state algorithm.

Press any button to tick the software RNG, and the hardware RNG as well. The text will turn red if the software RNG state doesn't match the 64-bit RNG state within the base RAM layout.

1 comment

Cart #pck404_512px_under-1 | 2022-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

512px under

Year 4096. A burried building with lasers and traps. How many lives will it take to leave this place ?

• Jump, wall jump and dodge lasers
  • 18 memory cards to collect
  • 32 rooms to explore (with lasers in them)
  • Auto-save
  • 1 red cube
  • Lots of lasers !

Controls

• Arrows : move
  • V (or X) : jump
  • C (or Z) : grab/drop

Move and jump

Grab and drop

Wall jump

About

This game is my first Pico-8 game. It is also the first game I manage to finish after a few attempts with game engines such as Unity and Godot. It took me 1 month to complete the first published version. The Pico-8 restrictions allowed me to define a manageable scope for this game. In the end, I used the entire space available in the map editor and the spritesheet editor. The code uses every token allowed.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

I've hit a really bizarre error; my code has no coroutines, but it fails with "attempt to yield from outside a coroutine"

I've simplified it down as much as I could; while removing unrelated cruft (e.g. the sort function from my new project template that I wasn't actually using anywhere) the bug would arbitrarily appear or disappear.

The bug will either get triggered 100% of the time or 0% of the time when you run the cart, but its presence or disappearance arbitrarily changes depending on what other unrelated code there is in the cart.

For example, tab 0 is 15K of function foo() end repeated over and over again. They're commented out right now, and the bug is present. If you comment them back in, the bug disappears.

Commenting out the body of pqb (which prints many many u64 objects) seems to remove the bug for good (no matter how many foos I comment in or out). I'm not too experienced with metatables; I think I may be at fault for something I'm doing inside u64.__tostring? sometime variation of this code give a slightly differently-formatted error message that jumps me into the middle of my __tostring method. or maybe printh is having issues dumping so much text to the console? I dunno

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #tankgamecontrols-0 | 2021-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->