BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #iwilllaseryou-1 | 2021-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #iwilllaseryou-0 | 2021-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #iwilllasereyeyou-3 | 2021-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #iwilllasereyeyou-2 | 2021-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I'm brand new to making music and I'm interested in hearing about how different people approach composing for their games. Not in terms of using the music editor—I'm fine with that—but more about your process/workflow for creating the music itself. You can assume that I understand about scales/modes, keys, chords, chord progressions, etc. and feel free to sling around jargon/technical terms if you want I can always go look up anything I don't understand.

I realize that everybody goes about things their own way; I'm not looking for a "right" way to make music, more just interested in peeking into people's brains while I try to figure out my own way of doing it.

The kinds of things I'm interested in (not an exhaustive list!):

1. How do you start? With the main melody? With a beat? Chords? Something else? Do you always start the same way or does it depend? On what?
  2. Do you create your music from scratch directly in the PICO-8 music editor or do you use something else, like a DAW and then "translate" the music over into PICO-8?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

23 comments

NOTE:This game was for a game jam, and due to time crunch I couldn't finish it all the way, but atleast there's a playable state.

Cart #the30mpoundsofsoft-1 | 2021-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

You're a dog, trying to get a lot of trash out of the ocean.

Controls

Swim

Use ⬅➡⬆⬇ or the arrow keys to move around.

Thrust

Use 🅾 or Z to use your stamina and thrust.

Credits

@Gabe_8_bit Music and background animation

3 comments

On the Mac, when Pico 8 is running when the Mac hibernates, after I un-hibernate the Mac Pico-8 no longer plays sounds. I have to restart Pico 8 to get audio working again.

I'm using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Pico 8 0.2.3

3 comments

Cart #harold-6 | 2022-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A precision puzzle-platformer aimed at speedrunners that turns one of the oldest videogame tropes on its head.

In other games, dying is bad, and your remaining lives are just chances to try again... right? No, not on Harold's Bad Day.

Finish as quickly as possible, while trying to save as many Harolds as you can for a perfect run.

My first PICO-8 release - hope you enjoy!

99 comments

For some time now I have been thinking about making a large 128x128 LED Display for the PICO-8 and finally I did it.

What i used for this project:

Selected pixel panel is well assembled, it is easy to arrange all Raspberry PI guts inside case, but:

• It has a pre-installed LED matrix controller, but it is not required for this project, so this is an extra cost
  • 16 pin cables too short to daisy chain 2 matrices for use with RGB Matrix HAT

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #vanbeck_savior-1 | 2021-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all,

My first Pico-8 game, very much inspired by Oids and Thrust.

Rescue the little guys, get them to the landing pad at the top of the level.
Aliens will try to stop you, study their behavior and plan your strategy.
Watch your fuel level, shields will replenish slowly but this takes up fuel.
Passengers are heavy, you can carry 5 at a time but can you really?

Fly in a straight line away from the moon to exit the level.

Left and Right to rotate.
Up while landed to show map.
Down to drop rope.
A to thrust.
B to shoot.

8 levels, each one trickier than the last - have fun!

Updated to get rid of some bugs and slightly easier to control.

2 comments

Cart #scarf_2_0-1 | 2021-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

Cart #frenchfries-0 | 2021-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #jutekihiwu-0 | 2021-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Thanks for checking my cart out.
I'm just working on re-creating some classic lcd games in pico-8. Maybe if I'm ever good at it, I'll try to make a collection of these games.
I'm much prouder of the score read-out than I should be.
Please let me know if you find any errors or bugs.
[0x0]

3 comments

During some glitchy sandstorm effect testing for a tweetcart, I managed to hard crash the Pico-8 executable completely. This minimal code reproduction does it consistently on my machine after about 10 seconds of moving around. It seems to be related to the interaction between sin, rnd, and line, because removing those line()s fixes things. Likely a specific hex value in line() blows up somewhere, and rnd hits it occasionally with this setup?

Warning: I have no idea what this code will do on the BBS. Run at your own risk, as it consistently crashes the PICO-8 exe completely in just a few seconds!

Cart #crashlinernd-0 | 2021-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

8 comments

Not sure if bugs is the right place to put this...

Is it possible to retrieve a variable within a table within a table within a table and so on?

tables = {
   table = {
   a = {x=0,y=0}
   b = {x=64,y=94}
   c = {x=0,y=0}
   }
}

print(tables.table[2][2],0,0,1) -- this is not how it works

If I wanted to print "b.x" and "c.y" at the same time in the most conventional way possible, how would I go about that?

3 comments

Cart #pseudospiro-0 | 2021-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

For some reason Pico-8 is the only environment that really beckons me to be creative. For the most part I really like the challenge of making something interestingly complex, with minimal code.

Controls:
Up and Down : Move through parameters
Left and Right : Change currently selected parameter by 10
X and C : Change currently selected parameter by 1
Left + Right : Reset current parameter to 0
X + C : Change between discrete steps [-] and continuous analogue steps [~]

There is a mouse position option [MSE] that is intended for use on touchscreens, turn it off at desired location to hold it in that position.

On top of the obvious messing about, I found that when AMP and RADB are in the high thousands, and are relatively close to each other in value, other different patterning emerge.

1 comment

Cart #spherebuster2-2 | 2022-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my last pico8 vector game project and a sequel of my first pico8 game, Sphere buster.

Multiple gameplay options are available to make it play like either asteroids or asteroids deluxe.

I kinda burned up making vectors so I'll make pixel games again after this project. I'll also dig tic-80 to port some of my pico8 games and make new games that utilize its superior performance and more buttons.

Anti-aliased vectors by elice and freds72.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=49754

8 comments

Cart #kwave-0 | 2021-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a test using mouse's coord capturing and a little animation using distance from mouse + a sine wave to make it look cool hehehe.
I've been doing some tests and mini games on pico 8 for a while, but never uploaded any of it. I'm posting this demo just to learn the process of setting up a cart online.
Cya \o

2 comments

In short, this code works:

function _init()
    poke(0x5f2d,3)
end

function _update()
    if stat(30) then
        -- prints the pressed key
        local key=stat(31)
        printh(key)
    end
end

And this doesn't:

function _init()
    poke(0x5f2d,3)
end

function _update()
    if stat(30) then
        -- prints nothing, not even a blank line
        printh(stat(31)
    end
end
2 comments

Cart #thanksgiving_jo560hs-0 | 2021-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

happy thnksgiving everyone!

0 comments

Cart #monochromeninja_sandbox-24 | 2022-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to PICOCRAFT, a Minecraft demake with extra features! This is my second finished PICO-8 cartridge. If there's features you would like to see in this or bugs that you find, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave a comment! I hope you like this. :)

Changelog

1/30/2022: v1.17.1 Fixed Destroyer bug where they weren't destroying the blocks above them (it was destroying the block above the player, oops).
12/15/2021: v1.17 Added Bombs, DBombs (Destroyer Bombs), and made those damage you in Health mode if you're too close. (This will probably be the final major 1.x update, since I hit the token limit while coding this. Still, I'm proud of how far I've come with this!)
12/11/2021: v1.16 Fixed mining air playing the mining sound in creative mode, added coordinate overlay (in pause menu), added Health gamemode (don't fall too far!), and saving the gamemode. (To convert a prior save to this version, append "#1#1" to the end.)
12/10/2021: v1.15 Gamemode selection updated, weak mode added (no placing/breaking blocks), creative mode updated (break blocks instantly with your fist).
12/9/2021: v1.14 Conveyer-Springs added!
12/8/2021: v1.13 Orbs now stack (2x Speed Orb --> 2x the speed!) and work when placed in the world, and the OMNITOOL has been added -- a combo of the three main tools.
12/4/2021: v1.12 Added Creative Mode, accessible through the pause menu!
12/3/2021: v1.11 Added Orbs, vertical Movers, and made it so that mining Movers or open Doors give you the default version of themselves (e.g. open Doors give closed ones).
12/2/2021: v1.10.2 Fixed A BUNCH OF FEATURES NOT EXISTING (see below changelog for why).
12/2/2021: v1.10.1 Fixed max crafting/smelting not EXISTING WHAT
12/2/2021: v1.10 Changed controls from ESDF to WASD! YAY!!
11/30/2021: v1.9 Added skin chooser in pause menu! (To convert a prior save to this version, append "#1" to the end.)
11/28/2021: v1.8 Fixed buggy box moving, and added color blocks!
11/28/2021: v1.7 Added max crafting/smelting! Craft a whole bunch. (Note: This effectively just speeds up pressing Z a bunch of times -- even if you would use the last of an item, it's not entirely sure if you would, so play it safe and leave a slot open.)
11/28/2021: v1.6.1 The v1.6 bug fix caused performance issues after using a world with a LOT of Movers, so I fixed that. :)
11/28/2021: v1.6 Fixed bug with Block Movers not updating after being moved. Now you can make spaceships!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->