BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I made this game for Mech Jam, and have since fixed a few bugs. It is a turn based tactics game where you play as a team of mechs that fight wildfires.
One mech can shoot a cone of water that puts out fire.
Another mech digs trenches that stop the spread of fire.
The helicopter can do three things: load up on water while it is over the sea, reload the cannon mech when it is next to it, or drop water to put out fire.

Fire spreads across forest tiles in one turn, and across grassland in two turns. A level is cleared when all fire is put out. If you lose all of the cities in one level, it's game over.

Update: Revamped tutorial, added UI hints to make it a little clearer how to reload the cannon mech using the helicopter

Cart #mechforceinferno-1 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

So, using PICO-8 with a US QWERTY keyboard (Wikimedia Commons image link), there's a kind of virtual music-keyboard embedded in it when you're editing SFX, with the bottom row from Z to M being the white keys of the octave below the one selected and the top row from Q to P being the white keys of the octave and a third above, and the black keys being on the lines above their adjacent white keys. C1 = z, C#1 = s, D1 = x, and so on.

For people using PICO-8 with other keyboard layouts, in the default keybindings, is this physical arrangement the same, or are the key names the same instead? Or some other situation?

0 comments

Cart #suparihum-2 | 2021-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

-- Death Dungeon --

Originally Created for the Mini Jam 92: Death, this is an updated version.

Programming and Art: Cannon
Level Designs: Snycent
Music: Lark

Original jam version is is here

6 comments

aka writing down how my cart works before I forget.

This is about my game, Halloween Horrors, which is here.

This game was written very much based on previous work, with functions dating all the way back to P8C-BUN, my first game. I started from the Demystify the Christmas Tree code because I wanted the kittens. It's not very token efficient at all, but I didn't come close to running out of tokens in the end (6447/8192). Originally, I was making another Christmas game - it was only very late on that my gf persuaded me to make it into something for Halloween - thus it's a little bit messy and rushed.

The unminified source is at the bottom of this post in a spoiler - it's too big to make into a cart without minification. Even after minifying, I did run out of space: v1.0.1 takes up 99.8% of the compressed cart size(!).

General Notes

Sprite sheets

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Just the old Mastermind board game redone in PICO-8.
I got the music from Robby Duguay (Thanks Robby!): https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2619

Feel free to let me know about bugs and such.

Edit: New version with bug fix and changes as per comments.

Cart #dejutunud-0 | 2021-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

11 comments

I'm sharing my first Pico-8 game, called Picotage!

Cart #picotage-0 | 2021-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is heavily inspired by the Apple II game "Sabotage" which I played on a school computer in the early 1980s.

I appreciate any comments. Thank you and enjoy!

This is a very simple action game where the goal is simply to survive as long as you can. Shoot the helis before they drop soldiers, or shoot the soldiers chutes after they drop, or shoot the soldiers. But don't let the soldiers land and damage your base!

Use the arrow keys to change the angle of your gun. Left, Right, Up, and Down can be used.

Fire with the "Z" key. You can hold it down or fire in bursts.

You earn a Powerup every 5 levels. Use the "X" key to activate the powerups.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #armorpico-2 | 2022-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my attempt of Porting a vector scan arcade game Armor Attack to pico8.

Control a combat jeep and destroy enemy tanks and helicopters.

Tanks require 2 shots to destroy, 1 shot only disables its movement.

Destroying helicopters increases the bonus score you get when you completely destroy a tank, and Destroying 5 of them gives you an extra jeep while resetting the bonus score.

Press O button in title screen to select accel key as Up or O button.

Due to pico8's environments the gameplay had been changed quite a lot :

• Much simplified playfield

• lower resolutions means less space to move, Be careful when tanks are surrounding you.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #pcm_synth-3 | 2021-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

a pcm synth tool!
click the notes to play them
you can replace pcm with any C3 note and itll work!
edit slp and elp for looping! (slp = start of the loop, elp = end of the loop)
(you can also play the notes with the keyboard)
(it uses famitracker keybinds)

1 comment

Cart #toxicwaste-0 | 2021-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I have created my very first game on amazing pico8 console
This is a tiny run and gun game, where you need to:

• kill some monsters
  • save some people
  • and collect some $$$

Im not so much in game development, but I have enjoyed while create this little piece of code and sprites (and some creepy sounds also)

So I hope somebody will enjoy a bit to play this game
And of course any feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you.

0 comments

サイハ゛-ワ-ム Cyberworm

You are the only hope to save humanity from a monstrous enemy.

Cart #cyberworm_v1-0 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Epilepsy Warning: Contains flashing colors.

Level 1

Level ??

Features

• 8-directional top down frenetic shooting action.
  • 64 levels of increasingly teeming hordes.
  • Auto-checkpoints.
  • Deep, engaging storyline.
  • Original score - "The Ballad of the Worms"
  • Unique graphical style.
  • Multiple endings(2).

Controls

For the best experience, use a controller.

• ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ (arrow keys) to move.
  • Hold ❎(X) to shoot.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hello again. I received my C64 Maxi (TheC64) yesterday and turned it into a Pi powered retro computer. It works great, but required some manually configuring to get fully working. The keyboard works out of the box, but the joystick does not and requires you to compile the SDL2 key mapper software. You could even code Pico 8 games on this thing. I chose Retropie so I can easily select and play C64 games and try out other retro computer emulators.

What is a C64 Maxi? It is the bigger brother of the C64 Mini. It has a full sized working keyboard and you can easily play games or code on it. The downside is the default system is hard-coded for a 720p screen resolution. My old Dell VGA monitor doesn't support this screen resolution

Why? I wanted to use my old square VGA Dell monitor for C64 games and try seeing if I could use the keyboard on Pico 8. Also, the mod I did doesn't alter the default Maxi boards in any way. I disconnected the keyboard and created a USB adapter that plugs into the C64 Maxi keyboard. If I want to go back to a stock configuration, I'm able to. Do I recommend this mod? Yes I do.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #negogio-2 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #randombattle-0 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #drcreep-2 | 2021-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Recreation of a C64 classic: Castles of Dr. Creep.
Compared to the original there are some changes, on the one hand because the layout is different (40x24 vs 16x16), on the other hand because I have defused some "backtracking" and death traps. Nevertheless, please note, the levels are from 1984 - there you have something different design.

Story

So, you're looking for a place to work? Something special, challenging, with a good salary? Well, we have just the thing for you.
Many different options open for your inspection. Just step inside ... Oh? You want to leave already? I'm afraid that's simply not possible ... not until you have taken the complete tour.
You'll notice that we have all the modern conveniences. Electrostatic energy generators to warm things up. Piped-in music which I'm sure you will find quite haunting. Doors galore, and you never know what you will find on the other side. Once the death rays start lining up behind you, however, I know you will be eager to find out.
You may want to step lively over trap doors and through the force fields - we've lost several potential applicants that way. Over there, of course, is mummy's room. Mummy seems to be all wrapped up at the moment, but probably not for long. And a break room? At the Laboratories, all the rooms are restful, although many of the occupants are not.
Neighbours, you ask? I Know you will love them. Frankenstein's Monster just seems to pop up whenever you least expect him.
Well, I really must be leaving now. I'm sure you can find your way around. Don't be alarmed. There's a key in here somewhere. You will find your way out eventually... and if not, Doctor Creep will be back shortly and you can help him with his, ah, experiments.
Goodbye now ... and good luck.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #boohauntedhouse-1 | 2021-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #boohauntedhouse-0 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

• Move the cursor using the arrow keys
  • Rotate the cursor with the O button (Z key)
  • Swap two tiles with the X button (X key)
  • You can only swap tiles if it will result in a match-3

Rules

You're trapped in a haunted house with a bunch of Halloween stereotypes and the only way to defeat them and escape is by matching three or more common monsters in a row!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #widefont-0 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Wide font

A wide font using only P8SCII characters overlayed onto each other. Uses 76 tokens, feel free to use it with credit!

function wide(t,x,y,col)
	--credit to yolwoocle
	t1= "                ! #$%&'()  ,-./[12345[7[9:;<=>?([[c[efc[ij[l[[([([st[[[&yz[\\]'_`[[c[efc[ij[l[[([([st[[[&yz{|}~"
	t2="                !\"=$  '()*+,-./0123]5678]:;<=>?@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx]z[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx]z{|} "
	n1,n2="",""
	for i=1,#t do
		local c=ord(sub(t,i,i))-16
		n1..=sub(t1,c,c).." "
		n2..=sub(t2,c,c).." "
	end
	if(col!=nil)color(col)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=99417#p)
2 comments

Cart #pumpkinlight-0 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Every year on All Hallows' Eve, the ghosts of this mausoleum compete to see who can light the most jack-o'-lanterns in a minute! The other ghosts won't make it easy for you - these jack-o'-lanterns are full of ghosts, and they'll spit seeds at you to slow you down!

Use arrow keys to move, Z to throw torches. Your score goes up by 1 for each lantern you light, and down by one for each time you get hit. If you're looking for a challenge, see how high a score you can get while also getting the two golden medals!

Happy Halloween everyone! Putting this together has been a delight, I hope you enjoy it too!

Credits:
Art: Soundole and Bookwyrmle
Everything else: Soundole

2 comments

I'm just tossing this out there. Is there any way to have 32-bit or 64-bit numbers in Pico-8 ?
I have a need for this in a project I'm working on.

Now years back I wrote a program to count well past a trillion, really exceeding 64-digits of numbers where you could add, subtract, and multiply, but no division or any other math formulae such as SIN(), COS(), etc.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35715

Even a regular 99 cent calculator can have up to 8-digits of integer storage, yet Pico-8 is limited to 4.

To go over the number formats we have:

BIT: on or off / zero or one / true or false / black or white
BYTE: -128 to 127 / 0 to 255
WORD: -32768 to 32767 (which is odd as I think most systems are -32768 to 32767 / 0 to 65535
Pico-8: 4-byte storage: -32768.9999 to 32767.9999

Cart #ruzihedana-0 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #testcollision-1 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Board Game Assistant is a program that is intended for use on a mobile device. It keeps track of which player is playing, which player is next and rolls the dice every time the player changes.

Controls

[C] - Switch to next player and roll dice
[X] - Roll dice without changing player
[↑↓←→] - Switch to certain player and roll dice

Cart #yazpihiye-1 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->