BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

THIS ERROR HAS BEEN RESOLVED (09-13-21)
Closing error ticket.

I was running into an error in the newest version of Pico-8.

If you have this code:

function _init()
cls()
for i=1,8 do
  a=rand(1,2)
  print(a)
end
end

function rand(a,b)
  if (a>b) a,b=b,a
  return flr(a+rnd(b-a+1))
end

And run it. It works fine in all versions of Pico-8.

However if in immediate mode you type:

print(rand(1,2))

It works just fine in version 0.1.12c but you get an ERROR message in version 0.2.3.
It does not matter if the functions come before _init() you get the same results.

If I read this correctly it means we cannot use immediate mode to debug our functions in the newest version whereas in the earlier version, you could. I personally need this so I can check my functions in immediate mode to make sure they are working correctly.

Version 0.1.12c is the latest version where it works correctly; you can call functions in immediate mode. All versions after this up to 0.2.3 will not let you. I checked and confirmed this.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Amika's Quest is a roguelite Zelda-like!

Controls:

X (X, V or M on a keyboard): Sword

O (Z, C or N): Item

Pause (P): Open menu

Once items are purchased, you can switch between items in the pause menu

Cart #amikasquest-0 | 2021-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Credits:

Design and coding: Tyler Davis
Character design: Te'shon Farr
Music: Cory Shane Davis

4 comments

I've been working on a project for a week or so, and my PC crashed. When I loaded up Pico again it would not let me load the file. I simply get a 'could not load' message.

I can see the file clearly and even if I try to open through the file itself, it simply tells me again that it can not load the file - so either it has become corrupt or there's something else, but it is working totally fine before the PC crashed.

Any help is appreciated!

2 comments

Conways Game of life

Created by Duffhause

Cart

Cart #conwaysgameoflife-0 | 2021-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

You can only move cursor and toggle tiles while the game is paused

• Move cursor with arrow keys
  • Press X to toggle a cell
  • Press Z to play and pause

Code

You can view the code on Github

1 comment

Cart #portal_golf-3 | 2021-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Chain portals together to collect all the gold!

Portal Golf is a physics puzzle game with portals. Place portals around the level in order to get the ball to collect every gold bar. You have no control over the movement of the ball and can only place portals before you start the run. Try to use as few portals as possible to earn medals, or just fill the whole level with portals and have fun!

Detailed Instructions are in-game

Controls:

• Left click on any wall with a white edge to add a portal
  • Left click and drag an existing portal to move it somewhere else
  • Right click to delete an existing portal
  • Press C to start or stop a run

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #animmario-0 | 2021-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello!

I am going a bit mad trying to figure out how to make a simple 4 frame sprite animation run on a loop, and then transition to a different 4 frame animation loop after a button is pressed.

Simply - I am trying to make this Mario sprite look like it is walking forward when idle, or pressing forward, and then look like he is walking sideways when pressing left or right. I can make him animate on loop when idle, but I cannot figure out how to make it animate as a different sequence after a direction is pressed, and ensure the animation runs smooth (for example, I can get it to change to the new sequence, but holding the button down keeps the sequence locked into the first frame of the animation).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #devilchurch-0 | 2021-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

c'est mon premier jeux,
vous devez sortir vous et 12 autres personnes de leur maison et aller a la "satanic church".
ce jeux contient des references sur le black metal.
des clefs sont caches sous des arbres et rochers
la musique est de GRUBER.

3 comments

Cart #zerpong-0 | 2021-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hello all, this is My First PICO-8 Game™ï¸Ž and therefore My First BBS Cart Upload™ï¸Ž™ï¸Ž, hopefully I've done it right.

Cart #unchecked_8-4 | 2023-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Unchecked-8 is a slight twist on the classic spike-jumping, maze exploration platformer. There are simply 10 stars to collect. Once you figure out how it works, I estimate it takes 15-30 minutes?

I wanted to dive into PICO-8, make something reasonably small, and actually release it - so I chose a remake/demake of my own short game Unchecked (previously existed in Flash and Basic). I like this so much it's now the canonical version of this game!

I first put it up on itch.io, because it had some HTML player customizations and also to hide My First P8/Lua Code™ï¸Ž™ï¸Ž™ï¸Ž

[ Continue Reading.. ]

23 comments

Cart #spaceshipgame-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game about shooting aliens that i made cause boredom.
The collision system is also trash but i can't make it better
[0x0]

Anyways, it's pretty cool and i have like 3 days working on it, so please tell me what you think in the comments too!
and also print("have a good day :D")

2 comments

Cart #niwigidik-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Some rainbow squares.
The idea popped into my head at an inconvenient time so I had to write it down on my phone. Then I pasted it into pico-8.

Seizure warning maybe.

2 comments

Hello all...
Two things I want to ask about but don't think it'd justify two separate threads.

1/ Can someone explain how to do a particle explosion thing that emits in a circular pattern?
I've experimented with particles for dust etc. but thought it might be nice to have a pickup emit a circular particle system when picked up. I don't know how to work with the x and y for each particle.

2/ Can someone point me to a tutorial or code, or whatever for those old school passcode systems for level/life/score saves. I wanted to have a system in their as a homage to games gone by that one would type in a 5 digit passcode and it would carry on the game where you left off. Like Bubble Bobble used to have.

Thanks for your time.
Peej

11 comments

Cart #quarder-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pay attention to the top row, where the digits 0123456789 have been shuffled. Move the cursor right and left to choose a digit; press a button to select the digit. Your goal is to select four digits which are in order, or in reverse order. (Keeping a consistent beat to your inputs will cost you less life.)

If the presented digits were 5709134682, you could win by clicking on 0, then 1, then 3, and finally 4 since those are four increasing digits appearing in that order within 5709134682. At that point, you will be presented with another puzzle. You can also win by choosing four digits in reverse order.

The visualization in the center makes it easier to find these patterns.

That this is always possible is a consequence of

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #pillogrim_1_0-0 | 2021-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Like the 99 bomb Spelunky Deathmatch I used to play, for 1 or 2 players.

This is my first real Pico-8 project (after a failed attempt at Pinball). I'm happy with how it's turned out. The AI isn't perfect, but can provide a really decent challenge. It may be improved in the future.

O is bomb, Down is pick up, O while holding is shoot, X is jump.

Changes

1.0 2021-09-11

• Added a number of new maps
  • Added title screen music
  • Added item Whip
  • Added terrain Ladder
  • Pick up by 'down' instead of 'down + O'
  • Fix bug launcher missile hits if player moving
  • Fixes to lazgun hit
  • AI fixes including detecting freefall, preventing throwing teddy away,

0.2 2021-09-09

• Added baseball bat
  • Fixed multiple times getting hit
  • AI will pick up item if running past
1 comment

the product of an afternoon

Cart #wormthing-1 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #last_battle_of_angry_square-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Angry Square must hold out as long as it can in its Last Battle against inevitable square-shaped oblivion.

2 comments

PICO-8 0.2.3 is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP.

This update is focused on resolving runtime issues, with a couple of small but handy features thrown in for good measure:

Lucky Draw

To grab 32 random cartridges from the BBS, there is now a 'Lucky Draw' list in SPLORE. It is more likely to select cartridges that have more stars, but even unrated carts have a decent chance of appearing. Perhaps this will be a way to unearth some undiscovered gems, or just to find something new to play without scrolling back through several years of carts.

The list is cached, so it only changes every 2 minutes or so. But you can keep paging through the list to get new items forever.

Live Token / Character Count

Select some text in the code editor to view how many characters or tokens are contained within.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

35 comments

Cart #monty_hall-0 | 2021-09-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simulation of the famous Monty Hall Problem inspired by the game show "The Price is Right."

The game goes like this:
0) 3 doors, 1 has a pile of gold coins behind it
1) You pick 1 of the 3 doors
2) Monty Hall, the show's host, opens 1 of the 2 remaining doors, revealing that it is empty
3) You are offered the chance to switch to the remaining closed door
4) All 3 doors are opened and you receive what's behind the door you ended on

The Problem:
What is the probability of winning if you switch?
What is the probability of winning if you stay?
Is it always better to switch or stay? A little of both?
Does it matter whether you switch or stay?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hey guys,

There's an Alakajam! event scheduled for the 17-19th September week-end!

If you don't know about us, we're an online gamedev community hosting jams, where you are invited to make a game from scratch over 48 hours. Start/end times are suited to European timezones (7pm UTC), while both the theme and the winners are decided by the community! As I write the theme submission phase has just started, and you will be able to suggest ideas for one week. The full jam works this way:

You can discover the winners from the last jams here</a>. PICO-8 has been a popular engine throughout the events, some of them even winning the solo category :)

More than the thrill of the competition, a cool thing is that all games are getting valuable feedback for their games thanks to our voting/comment system.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->