BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself.

I am 39 year old who grew up in the heady times of the C64 and Amiga. Basically that whole home computer boom. I am studying mathematics part time and have been using Python to do some maths based projects with.

recently I decided to get back into game dev as a hobby like I did with the C64 in BASIC and on Amiga with AMOS. It's been a learning experience bringing myself back into it all again. Especially with having to knock my brain into learning to state machines properly without the help of an engine like GMS2 doing the heavy lifting.

Anyway, just wanted to say I am enjoying my experiences so far with Pico-8. Had it a while and not really done anything with it. That is changing though. So I will be coming looking for advice.

Beta

1 comment

Cart #awake_final-0 | 2021-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

42 comments

Cart #granddad-0 | 2021-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #onek_frisbee-4 | 2021-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

https://itch.io/jam/pico-1k

Play a very tiny game of 2v2 ultimate frisbee. Post your high scores (mine is only 9 😜). Happy gaming and happy 1k jam 2021 - check the link on itch.io :)

484 tokens / 1023 chars / 3% cart space / 1038 bytes lua / 65 lines

(Press X to reset)​

0 comments

I've noticed that when I try to build a makefile for multicarts that calling export from the command line of my host machine doesn't respect root_path.

For example:

pico8 -root_path ./ -export mygame.html title.p8 intro.p8 mygame.p8

produces an html export that only gets title.p8 but neither of intro or mygame carts if the root path isn't already the pico-8 cartridge directory.

Does anybody know of a workaround short of actually changing the pico-8 system config for each new directory?

1 comment

I have the following (simplified) code, defining the __concat metamethod on a table and using it to combine two table definitions, overwriting keys when they overlap:

tmeta = {
	__concat = function(orig, new)
		for k,v in pairs(new) do
			orig[k] = v
		end
		return orig
	end
}

t = {
	a=1,
	b=2,
	c=3
}

setmetatable(t, tmeta)

t ..= {b=4, d=5}

print(t.a)
print(t.b)
print(t.c)
print(t.d)

This snippet works completely fine, printing the numbers 1, 4, 3, and 5 as expected. However, having a multi-line table on the right-hand side of the compound operator causes it to break:

t ..= {
	b=4, 
	d=5
}

The following form does work fine as a workaround:

t = t .. {
	b=4, 
	d=5
}

so this overall approach is still possible, but it uses 1 more token than the compound form.

Also, the exact same behavior seems to occur with other metamethods (e.g. __add and the += operator), so this isn't anything specific to the concatenation operator.

1 comment

Cart #no_pressure_not_finished-1 | 2021-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game where winning is easy... there has to be a way to lose.
(the last revision of the game was just me changing things without checking it)

2 comments

Erroneous-looking interaction between draw y offset and character height in PICO-8 0.2.2c:

poke(0x5f5b, 0x62)  -- draw y=6, x=2
print("shifted\n\n")
-- prints 6 down, 2 over, full text visible

poke(0x5f5b, 0x72)  -- draw y=7, x=2
print("shifted\n\n")
-- prints 7 down, 2 over; text cut off vertically after first row of pixels
-- expected full text visible

poke(0x5f5b, 0x62)  -- draw y=6, x=2
print("shifted\n\n")
-- prints 6 down, 2 over; text cut off vertically after first two rows
-- expected full text visible

poke(0x5f59, 0xa4)  -- char size y=10, x=4
print("shifted\n\n")
-- prints 6 down, 2 over, full text visible

Setting draw y offset to 6 works as expected. Setting draw y offset to 7 appears to change some kind of state that cuts off characters vertically at a fixed height. Setting it back to 6 shows this state persists. Changing character height appears to clear this state.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bubsa-2 | 2021-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #bubsa-0 | 2021-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #cg_wolf_tower-1 | 2021-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Puzzle answers can be read here (spoilers!).

WOLF TOWER

When the moon is full, a faint light burns in the highest window — and in the town below, people disappear. Face devilishly difficult puzzles as you climb the many floors of WOLF TOWER to defeat the terrible foe at its top!

How to Play

• Bump into things! Use the arrow keys to interact!
  • Be careful! Don't touch chests or chalices until you're sure you know it's the right one!
  • Be social! Talk to demons to gain clues to solve puzzles.
  • The puzzles are hard! Use a pencil and paper to help you work through the clues! Puzzle answers can be read 

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Vineguy

Cart #vineguy-0 | 2021-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's version one of Vine Guy! It's like if Tree Dude from Super Hot was just reskinned Donkey that forced you to use an extra button, and nothing else.

0 comments

[sfx]

This is my first music I've ever created in my life, and on PICO-8. I tried to make my stream background music based from Castlevania's Baroque-esque nature, with more impact and sinister into short simple loops. I even made it while I'm streaming, but that's outdated. So I uploaded the latest version here. Hope you enjoy my song!

4 comments

Im looking to save when the game closes, what options do I have to capture when the user is just about to "esc" close the game/running program.

Thanks

2 comments

Cart #ninjasongtest-0 | 2021-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is me learning PICO-8, not intended to be played or used (yet!)

0 comments

Cart #sleepythingy_version23-0 | 2021-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is old WIP project that I kept changing and adding too for a while to keep some of my coding mind & just enjoy pico-8 since its pretty easy to get into on a basic level.

1st button is some display of a direction based hitbox.

2nd button is a pause and speed warp with a display of where you are each frame.
(Both are not needed for the base single puzzle, (as far as I remeber))

Was intended to be a basic puzzle game with keys, objects, and some exploring of a map & my first dive into pico-8.

I likely will add to this and refine it to more of something.
Just posting now to share it to an extent.

If you find some joy in it, say!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #boharurano-0 | 2021-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Use X to make extra stars and C to see the number of stars on screen.
You can also turn the sounds off if you don't like them (in the menu.)

Totally plagiarism of ummmm_ok. But it was a good way to practice using tables within tables (and I'm pretty sure we used the same tutorial.)

3 comments

What if there was a mini game boy fantasy console in pico 8? I made this sprite sheet of how it could look with some game ideas. Tell me what you think about it because this is my first post and I'm wondering if anyone thinks it interesting enough for me to try and make. Thank you! :)

4 comments

Cart #featherstoneruins-0 | 2021-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Featherstone Ruins is a survival-horror game with gameplay similar to 'Slender', which I slowly built up out of some very basic raycaster code. I mainly made this as a learning exercise, and there's a thousand ways to make it more efficient and effective, but I'm happy to call it done and put what I've learned into practice on the next project!

Story:

Many years ago, a servant at the Featherstone Manor was unjustly tried as a murderer, and executed. His body was cut up, and hung around the surrounding farmland as a grim warning to others.

Since that wrongful execution, no-one at the manor has known peace. Rumours spread that the Featherstone Farm was haunted. The site was abandoned, and soon fell into disrepair. None of the curious souls who have ventured there have returned.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #zerkybot-13 | 2023-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You are a poor humanoid who are trapped in the evil face's fortress.

This giant fortress is made of harzadous electric walls, and The evil face and his guard bots are chasing you.

you must escape this horrible place with a laser pistol. but nobody knows if there's actually an exit...

Controls

D-pad : move

D-pad while holding O or X button : shoot laser pistol.

Option instruction

1. extra life : gives an extra life every time your score exceeds the assigned point.

2. evil face : when evil face is smiling, he will appear in the game and chase you. when frowning, he won't appear in the game.

3. start difficulty : the difficulty level at the start of the game.

4. max difficulty : the highest difficulty level allowed in the game.

5. robot AI : In Classic mode, robots always shoot at you ignoring the walls and can collide each other.
    in Improved mode, robots don't shoot when there's a wall between them and you and they won't collide each other when there are less than 4 robots.

Special thanks to Alan McNeil for making one of my favorite arcade game - Berzerk.

18 comments

Pico8lisp is a small lisp interpreter built on PICO-8 virtual machine!

You can find a walkthrough of the programming language features on my github here: https://github.com/andrewguy9/pico8lisp

Try it out!

Cart #pico8lisp1-7 | 2021-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Using the REPL

You can type commands directly into the shell.

> (+ 1 2)

<return> submits the command.

Press <up> and <down> to scroll through your command history.

Press <left> and <right> to move the cursor.

<backspace> will remove the character to the left of the cursor.

<shift>-d will remove the character to the right of the cursor.

Toggle between insert and replace modes by pressing <shift>-I.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->