BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hey there,

A Feature Request for the PICO8-Users out there which use a Handheld (like Anbernic RG351P/M/V) to play PICO8-Games:

Normally, you can start every Cartridge directly using "-run" in the Command Line:

pico8 -run some_cartridge.p8

On Handheld-Devices, that's great, because you can Pause and Shutdown PICO8 with the given Controls.

HOWEVER: I was able to run a Cartridge that "crashed" PICO8 (means it shows some Lua-Errors and the Program stops running). But after that Crash, PICO8 doesn't quit, instead it throws me into the Command line, like:
(example crash)

But that's not good if that happens on a Handheld, because you have no opportunity now to close PICO8 without a Keyboard (or something hacky like SSH etc.). After that, I have no other choice than Poweroff that Handheld and hoping that the Filesystem on the SD-Card don't get corrupted.

1 comment

Cart #total_collapse_1-0 | 2021-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

When you use LOAD or SHUTDOWN commands with unsaved changes you get this prompt to confirm. It would be super helpful if we also got this prompt when closing the program through the close button on the window decorations.

2 comments

Hello!

I am developing a small hockey type game where the player character can move in all directions. It works fine enough but because of the D-pad movement, if the player tries to go in a circle, its very much a diamond shaped movement instead.

I am not sure if there is any way to make this movement smoother, so its circular if you hit the buttons in quick succession like the below gif image?

Any suggestions or feedback are most welcome! :) Thanks!

Cart #testinghockey-0 | 2021-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

I purchased pico-8 about 10 days ago and i still haven't received it.
I sent 3 emails and got no reply. Now this is a second post about my purchase
on the forums. Did my money just go down the drain or what

9 comments

Hi, I'm messing around with exporting binaries and stumbled upon this.

Exporting html works fine.
Running it as admin doesn't solve it.
Why could be the cause?

Thanks, have a good day.

5 comments

Cart #snack_scoffer_ngc_1-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Snacks and spikes are falling from the sky!

How to Play

You, Aspen, must run around dodging the falling spike balls and scoffing the delectable foodstuffs.

• Eat 5 snacks to clear a round. Try to grab 5 of the same grub in a row for a perfect bonus!

• Keep an eye out for the rare heart and star power-ups. Snag a star to gain temporary invincibility for the round or capture a heart for an extra life!

• Get hurt by the spike balls and you lose a life. Get hit enough times though, and your game is over!

Credits

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #tearing_test-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a simple test cartridge I made so I can test for screen tearing. It draws vertical lines that scroll around every frame. If the lines are completely straight, there's no screen tearing. If the lines "break" at a certain point, there is screen tearing.

3 comments

Cart #qents_quest_sok-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are Qent, elderly self-proclaimed warrior of glory and renown. Your morning routine has just been interrupted by the shouting of the Town Crier, who is calling for heroes to come to the aid of Kerth, a small nearby hamlet that has just come under attack. But unlike younger, more foolhardy would-be heroes, you know that a true hero does not rush into a situation before one is properly prepared and ready ...

==========

This is my first PICO-8 cart, and marks the start of my foray into making graphical games. All my previous games have been text-based, so it's been a joy to try something new!

1 comment

Hello, i've playing with pico-8 for quite a long time and is great, i really like this piece of software

the issue: when i try to play two sounds at the same time using the sfx command, despite specifying different channels in the parameter, one sound cuts the other, for example:

sfx(0, 0, 0, 1) --plays only the first note from the first sfx page on channel 0
sfx(0, 1, 2, 1) --plays only the third note from the first sfx page on channel 1

the first sfx page:

(result: the sounds overlaps eachother, instead of mixing them despite being on different channels)

but if the second sound i'm trying to play comes from a different sfx page, the sounds mixes without any problem

sfx(0, 0, 0, 1) --plays only the first note from the first sfx page on channel 0
sfx(1, 1, 0, 1) --plays only the first note from the second sfx page on channel 1

the second sfx page:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #sdizojigo-0 | 2021-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrow keys to move "?"
"x" to choose position

Every win is 3 points
Every loss is -1 points

0 comments

Cart #nutowefuku-0 | 2021-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hey!

I discovered PICO-8 about a month ago and am blown away with what everybody has created, so I got a RG351V device to play them better. I'm no tech wiz - I don't even know coding - so I had to teach myself a couple things in order to get the recommended firmware (351ELEC) running on the device.

I was having such a great time playing a few P8 games on my RG351V, and then I started up the game PICOWARE. I'd start the game's cutscene, and then after that...a command line popped up that essentially froze my system. So I had to hard restart. And then I tried playing the game again, but the command line came back up after the cutscene. Now PICO-8 won't boot up at all - not for Splore, and not for any cart file. Here are all the things I’ve tried in order to get PICO-8 working again:

• remove the PICO-8 files from my SD card, then put them back in again.

• delete any PICO-8 files that I didn’t initially add; files that the system had to create.

• re-flash 351ELEC on my smaller card and then re-install PICO-8 from there.

All of these things I have tried, yet I still get the red screen pictured below. I even took a screenshot of my mac with the failed bootup in text form. Again, I'm not a coder, which is why I'm bringing it here. Everything else about the system still works, thankfully, but I'd love to continue playing P8 games too! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #rollpanda-2 | 2022-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"Roll Panda" is simple rolling action.
Use only two button, roll and jump.

Challenge this challenging adventure.

・control
〇/z : roll
×/x/↑ : jump
(You can customize key config at "config" in pause menu)

・tips
If panda close to slope, panda can climb wall.
If panda climb wall, panda can accelerate by roll button.
If panda climb up wall, panda make a transition from climber posture to jumper posture.

"Roll Panda"は転がるとジャンプの2つのボタンで進むアクションゲーム!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

My submission for the O2A2 VN Jam (Only One of Any Asset), a short visual novel about Lilith meeting the tentacle monster Medusa.
This is prequel to my previous game Medusa a short SHMUP about protecting Medusa as you escape.
Many thanks to dragonsbutalsorabbits for drawing the character sprite at very short notice before the jam deadline.

Cart #pcc_medusa_vn_o2a2-1 | 2021-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

5 comments

Cart #spinstick-0 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A chilling survival horror experience awaits you in this game about keeping a ball up by bouncing it with a stick that spins as you move it.

Press Left/Right to move the stick AND spin it.

How long can you delay the inevitable?

4 comments

Cart #stomp-6 | 2021-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

walk: left,right
stomp: down / X
jump: up / O

Stomp!

A turn-based-platformer-roguelike. The objective is to get a high score in 300 turns (10,000 is good).

Use your stomp to set rocks rolling, spikes falling, and bombs exploding.

Score Card

Wall: 10
Rock: 20
Wall, Drill: 50
Wall, Bomb: 80
Gem: 500
Worm: ???
Gold Worm: ???

You get half-points for anything you destroy with your amazing stomp - find other ways to destroy stuff.

Please post your best score if you choose to comment.

5 comments

This is a suggestion, not a bug obviously.

The ability to toggle on a metronome tick/beep every 4 beats in the sfx editor would be quite helpful for composing tunes.

2 comments

Cart #mission_impopsicle-1 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game made in one day for this game jam: https://itch.io/jam/vetelinos-summer-jam-july-2021

You are a ninja agent penguin on a unicycle and must stop ice cream terrorists from doing something horrific.

Arrow keys to move. Z & X to shoot.

1 comment

Cart #carcrossing-1 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game about a guy who needs to cross the road to pee in a piss jar.

The main character is Tim,

And he needs to get his jar to pee and go to the hospital!

There is now 5 levels!

I'll maybe make an endless mode!

Added sounds!

V1.2

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->