what have I done

2 comments

Cart #carbon_0_3-0 | 2021-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:
left, right = run
up = jump

Can wallslide when falling and pressing into a wall
Can wall jump when pressing up next to a wall
Can slide a bit when running then run in the opposite direction. Doing so on less frictious floors results in cooler effect.
Enjoy.
-Gravitoid

1 comment

Cart #thedungeon-0 | 2021-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You are the brave knight sir laugthsalot, and are the strongest champion in the realm. But the evil beat slime has trapped you in a dungeon! You must escape! Control with arrow keys, don't touch the red spikes or the evil slime. Get the key and go through the door to the next randomly generated level.

0 comments

Cart #spaceshootergame-1 | 2021-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Still work in progress

Cart #freebritney-3 | 2021-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #rpsvscpu-2 | 2021-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

I've finally started working on an actual game. The programming is not a problem but art, on the other hand, well...there be dragons.

I'm not an artist and it doesn't come naturally to me but pixel art, 8x8 pixel art in particular, seems much more approachable than more traditional types of art. I think because the feedback cycle is shorter and more obvious: with only 64 pixels to play with, it's pretty obvious when you put one in the wrong spot and there are a limited number of choices available for how to fix the problem. So I spent a few days poking around the sprite editor doing a bit of an "art study" to see what I could figure out. Comments, tips, tricks, etc. very much welcome.

This is very much not a tutorial. I'm not and artist and I'm not qualified to teach anybody anything about doing art of any kind. If people find it interesting or useful, great! But mostly I'm just using this as a place to record observations for future me to think about when I'm trying to figure out what the heck my game should actually look like. I'll add the full sprite sheet at the bottom if anyone's interested in having a look at it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

can someone help me remake scratch games on pico-8?
for example:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/370427015/
not that dead by Noentiendo2005

4 comments

Cart #yizujsbi-0 | 2021-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a quick test to render all of the characters Pico 8 seemingly has access to (except 7 since it makes a noise that hurts my ears.)

0 comments

I'm just curious to know what the reasoning is for choosing 128x128 resolution, if there is one?
Looking at computers like C64 or the NES, the resolution is quite low in comparison.

2 comments

Hi!

I watched a tutorial the other day which showed there is an alternate pallet in the pico 8, but it wasn't as straight forward to use as just using the editor. Are there any plans on adding the second pallet to the editor? And in extent, may be the possibility to modify the pallet via the gui?

1 comment

Hello
Just curious, are there any plans to integrate functionality for handling sockets to pico8? I can't seem to find anything on it so I'm assuming there is no support at this moment anyway.

4 comments

I've been playing around with various procedural generation techniques and wrote a little tool for creating generative string grammars. It's 104 tokens and the code is on github under an MIT license.

Demos

This first one generates side-scroller/platformer levels. Each character of the generated string represent a four tile wide column of the map. I didn't add a player because I just wanted to showcase the level generation itself so the map just scrolls automatically from the start to the end. Reload the cart to generate a new level. It's just an example so the levels aren't particularly interesting but you could add a few "post-production" passes over the generated strings to clean things up, generate enemies, add additional rules for pre-made features, etc.

Cart #jdelaat_stringgram_scroller-0 | 2021-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Well well, hello there young padawans!
---habiwan 2021

0 comments

Cart #pugofuhemo-0 | 2021-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is celeste but more berries

3 comments

Not even using a full editor block....remember,,,make dual use tiles.

2 comments

I exist now

I exist here now, hello

That's it, that's the post

1 comment

I'm trying to make a tetris game in pico 8, and the way im doing it is with a 2d array. i can make the array fine, but i have no idea how to draw it on the screen. my array is 10x20, just like a normal tetris board, and the pieces that should be blocks are 1, everything else is 0.
please help me.

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->