BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #tvstatic-0 | 2021-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

not much to say there, this one was way easier to do than the starfield

2 comments

Cart #cidstarfield-0 | 2021-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

yeah yknow i suffered for 3 days coding this from scratch and learned lua in the process

1 comment

Cart #dvd_logo_screensaver-0 | 2021-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Remember that old bouncing DVD logo screensaver? I remade that in PICO-8.
The logo changes colour each time it bounces. The image also simulates a 4:3 aspect ratio to match that of many old televisions.

See if you can get it to hit the corner... I haven't actually tested it yet lol

Enjoy!

3 comments

Hey @zep,

There are a lot of people who come here and learn to code by modding existing carts, and personally I think iterating on someone else's project is a fantastic way to learn stuff (I do it too), so I'd never want to discourage it, but sometimes it floods the BBS too, especially when someone does a workshop or class where everyone does it.

Could we get a Mods category under Cartridges?

That also might let you curate that kind of cartridge a little better, since a lot of them are only slightly different from the original, or indeed might not even work properly, and don't really belong in Splore, even though it's useful for junior programmers to share their work with each other here on the BBS and bounce ideas back and forth and so on.

12 comments

Cart #orbz-0 | 2021-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this game in less than two days. I hope you enjoy it!

How to play:
Press X to rotate your multicolor orb clockwise. When a smaller orb drops down from the top, spin your orb until the matching color is facing up. If an orb drops into the wrong color, your score will reset and you have to restart.

My dad got a score of 77. I have a high score of 91.
Currently, the highest high score is held by @A_feetballer with a score of 140.

Post your scores in the comments!

5 comments

The latest version of PICO-8 didn't seem to pick up on a cart update. I had my own cart, hobobot, favorited locally, but it was the old version hobobot-0. The thread had been updated to hobobot-1 a while ago. Usually PICO-8 picks up on there being a newer version and prompts the user but it didn't seem to do this on either the PC or raspberry pi version this morning. I had to unfavorite and re-search for the cartridge to get the newest version. Curious if this was removed or if this is a bug.

0 comments

I'm using Pico-8 v0.2.2c with an 8BitDo SN30 pro usb controller on a raspberry pi 4 running RetroPie. I used the gamepadtool recommended by others (seen here https://www.generalarcade.com/gamepadtool/ ) to generate the configuration for my controller and pasted the resulting config string to /home/pi/.lexaloffle/pico-8/sdl_controllers.txt

(The config string looked like this:

030000005e0400008e02000014010000,8bitdo SN30 pro,platform:Linux,a:b0,b:b1,x:b2,y:b3,back:b6,guide:b8,start:b7,leftstick:b9,rightstick:b10,leftshoulder:b4,rightshoulder:b5,dpup:h0.1,dpdown:h0.4,dpleft:h0.8,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a3,righty:a4,lefttrigger:a2,righttrigger:a5,

)

When I launch splore via "pico8_dyn -splore" , there doesn't appear to be any way for me to quit back to emulation station. other threads like this ( https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=39956#p ) have given me the impression that the menu button should open up a menu that allows me to quit, but besides the arrow buttons, the only buttons that do anything in splore for me are B, Y, and RightTrigger, all of which do the same thing: select whatever I have currently highlighted. This sounds like the behavior from 0.1.10 and earlier.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

1 comment

Cart #pepu_invite_19_2021-0 | 2021-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #puheforedi-0 | 2021-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

oh no i missed some levels ill do them later in v3 but for now almost all levels are done

26 comments

Cart #birdgame_demo-6 | 2021-05-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bird Game.

(Demo)

(v02: bugfixes, 60fps)
(v03: smoother animations)
(v04: small gameplay tweaks)

16 comments

Cart #circularthinking-0 | 2021-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In my last game, I included an iris effect to transition between two scenes. I used the midpoint circle algorithm to calculate the edges of the iris. This algo avoids trig and square root functions and so is super fast. Even at 60 frames a second, there's no lag. I decided to make a more generalized version, implemented as a coroutine. I hope you find it useful for your projects.

To use:

• Copy the iris function from the cartridge above into your own cartridge.

• When it's time for a transition, assign the coroutine to a variable in your update function: effect = cocreate(iris)

• In the draw function, call the coroutine: coresume(effect, 1, 128, 1, 15)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #nuzobanija-1 | 2021-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Little simulator I coded in like an hour.
Controls in-game.

4 comments

Cart #spellcrafter-0 | 2021-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's the first public version of my spellcrafting//spellcasting game. It's more of a demo/sandbox right now, with enemies and challenged on the way.

The spellcrafting system consists of spell types and spell shapes. The type can be thought of as the element, and changes the effect of the spell. The shape is the shape that the spell takes, and influences how much mana it uses. In the future the plan is to add a third category "modifiers" to allow for even more variation in the spells that are possible.

Controls:

In the world:
-D pad to move
-Button 1 to cast the spell equipped in your first slot
-Button 2 to cast the spell equipped in your second slot

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #yezabetaje-0 | 2021-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Among us Multiplayer Simulator (Not much else)

2 comments

Cart #uncontrollableste-0 | 2021-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My fist mod! And how fun too, Uncontrollableste is like normal Celeste but way worse, and more cooler.
Jumping, dashing, wall jumping and especially dying will increase your speed. Strawberries will make you jump higher and dash further. That's basically the gist of it, but believe me, it'll get hectic as time goes on.
Physics are janky! In the event you get stuck in a ceiling (which can happen!), simply press up, down and jump at the same time and you will explode- worry not, this doesn't make you faster as it doesn't count as a death.
Changed Features:
-Speed changing mechanic
. -Jumps add one
. -Dashes add one
. -Wall Jumps add point two
. -Deaths add five

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #battlecity-0 | 2021-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a work-in-progress port of "Battle City" (1985, Namco, Famicom) for PICO-8. The basic mechanics have been introduced, but the enemy AI is absent, certain UI elements aren't implemented yet and there's very few sounds and no music.

The goal is to implement all of the game mechanics completely, and then to try and improve on the game by adding extra features, like 4-player support.

Notice: so far, the more playable version is "Pico Tanks" by Shogal.

0 comments

Cart #bikosdas-0 | 2021-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A Celeste mod by me, for experts of the game

9 comments

Cart #hanranddoroido_gunv2-1 | 2021-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hanran Doroido-Gun

Fight the Rebel Droid Army and free humanity in this bullet hell vertical shooter.

Defeat the 5 waves to achieve victory and end the war.

Do not fail...

Quick Guide

• Unlimited mode plays the same as arcade but with unlimited lives. Smart mode to play in to win the game the first time.
  • Both Arcade and Unlimited mode allow for taking multiple hits before dying. In these modes your power bar (top left) serves as both your health and your weapon power up. Collect blue crystals to power up your weapon and replenish health.
  • In Hard mode and Championship mode, all hits to the player from either ships or bullets are instant death. Recommended only for those seeking a punishing challenge and high scores of note!
  • Each of the 5 levels includes a mini boss around half way (which is also the one checkpoint in the level) and a final boss.
  • If you're playing for high score- play on Championship, and get the level bonuses- those are where big scores are earned.

Updates

• Version 2: Some game play improvements after more play testing. Specifically: Increased invincibility frames from 30 ticks to 70 ticks to make slightly easier on Unlimited and Normal modes. Made blue bullets in Wave 4 not single hit death on Unlimited and Normal modes. Tweaked HP on Wave 3 bosses down slightly. Increased gap slightly on Wave 4 enemy waves to make not so punishing.
  • Version 3: Fixed starfield bug- where every time you started a new level or died, more and more stores appeared.

Credits and Shout Outs

In doing research on the bullet hell genre, I found this site especially invaluable in building the bullet engine. https://sparen.github.io/ph3tutorials/danmakudesign.html Big thanks to the author and their work on this page. Also for those who have played Ikaruga - you'll notice a few ideas from that one.

I created this game over a couple of weeks. It started out as an experiment to learn more about making shooters fun and challenging for the player for a larger project I'm working on called Kip and Odosan. In that game we are including a couple run n gun and scrolling shooter levels. This turned into a fun project and I'll be incorporating a lot of what I learned here into it. The bigger project details are:

web: http://strayvoltagegames.com
twitter: @strayvoltageca (https://twitter.com/strayvoltageca)

Have fun, if you achieve victory, post a screenshot of the victory page with your score!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I posted an updated version of my game Solar Blaster: Challenge Stage to the bbs last night (14 May 2021), and removed the previous version from the opening post but now the game seems to have completely vanished from Splore.

The game is on the bbs here:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=42595

Searching for SOLARBLASTER in Splore returns no results, and I have no idea why. Has this happened to anyone else after they have updated the version of a game in the opening post of a bbs thread? Or does Splore just take a while to update the listings when new versions are posted?

As far as I can tell I uploaded the new version of the game correctly - the cart is solarblaster-2 and should be findable by searching for solarblaster in Splore.

Also, in the bbs forum listings the thread for the game no longer has the cartridge label image as the thumbnail and the thumbnail is now the default avatar graphic. The game still has a valid cartridge label, so again I'm confused as to what has happened!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #colorpixel-0 | 2021-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You have color, but you must find the prism to spread you color across the world!

And...can you finds the TACO ending?

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->