BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #sasuhzuhu-0 | 2021-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

14 comments

Cart #destressball-1 | 2021-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Something I made while learning to swap function variables more efficiently. Became a nice little time waster.

1 comment

Cart #picoforth-0 | 2021-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

picoforth - a stack-based programming language

picoforth is a project I started working on a while ago, and then gave up on, then returned to yesterday. It is unfinished (there are a few minor bugs, there is essentially no support for strings yet, and the method of inputting text is pretty bad), but still can do quite a lot.

If you are unfamiliar with stack-based languages, I recommend you check out easyforth, a stack-based language resembling a typical Forth. It can teach you the basics of stack-based languages, and to a lesser extent, Forth.

Here's the list of the words (for those unfamiliar, a "word" in forth is roughly comparable to a function in most other languages) currently in picoforth:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #fezufogoga-0 | 2021-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hopefully it works, hope you have fun, remember its a demo, and JUST play it
(This is my first thing in pico-8)
-UncleEnk

9 comments

Cart #go_2_hell-0 | 2021-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #martialcards-5 | 2021-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Not sure how a specific thing works in the game? Check the one-page PDF manual!

You signed up for the biggest martial-arts challenge in history! In a gauntlet beyond example, contestants from all around the world face myriads of artificial monstrosities to find out who can deal with them performing the most stylish and efficient combos. There’s a twist though - you can only move in accordance with the hand of cards you’re holding. Ah, there’s nothing like the beautiful arbitrariness of game rules...

Features:

• Exceptional replayability: No two playthroughs will be alike thanks to randomly generated arenas, monster spawns and a shuffled deck of movement cards!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hey @zep,

I'm not sure if this is related to the last += parser bug. It doesn't seem to be, but if it is, it's possible you already fixed it in your dev version.

Having a tab as whitespace in this construct:

t={1}
t[1]	+=1

-- (with visible whitespace)
t={1}
t[1]⟼+=1

Produces an "unexpected symbol near +" error.

I copied the "see what the pre-parser does" trick to clipboard:

printh([=[t[1]	+=1]=], "@clip")

And got this when I pasted it back into an editor

t[1 ]	 = 	 + (1)  

-- (with visible whitespace)
t[1·]⟼·=·⟼·+·(1)··

Note that it only seems to do this if the left value is a table deref. Mind you, other complex lvalue patterns might also trigger it.

Maybe your regex needs some "\s*" patterns where it currently only has " *"?

I'll assume this is enough for you to go on. :)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #zurozemige-0 | 2021-05-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hello everyone,
I was recently working on a project and wanted to implement an infinite/looping horizontal scrolling system, similar to that of games like Sega's Fantasy Zone. (footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WQYjC26SU) For those unfamiliar, in this game, if you scroll far enough in either direction horizontally, you'll loop back around to the start of the stage, seamlessly. I did sort of get it to work, by constantly drawing the map according to a set variable, rather than a fixed point, and setting it so if the player passes too far in either direction it resets to the start of either end. however it's very choppy and no less, doesn't really accommodate something like the camera system that game has, or at least I don't think it does.

I'm rather new to working with the Pico-8/coding in general, so I'm sorry if this is a bit of a bad question to ask/if you have any advice please do let me know. Likewise, thanks for reading this far into this post.

3 comments

Controls:
Arrow keys to move
X to retry

Possession:
There are three types of possession:
x lock possession where the afflicted player is movable only on the x axis
y lock possession where the afflicted player is movable only on the y axis
mirror possession where the afflicted player mirrors the other player's moves tex: Up become down, right becomes left

Death:
Both players being possessed
And instability which is when the two player aren't at the same relative location in there respective
boxes, but this alone doesn't kill you only after five moves will you die

Note(Becoming possessed resets your unstable moves before dying)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #ghostdrivers-0 | 2021-05-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"What if you're right and they're wrong?"

A tweetcart (276 characters) you can actually play!

m,x,y=128,43,0e,s=x,y::::cls()rect(30,-1,96,m,6)for i=-m,m,32do line(64,i+y/2,64,i+y/2+14)end
if(btn()==1)x=43
if(btn()==2)x=78
print("웃",x,86,11)if(y>m)then
y=0s+=1e=rnd()>.5and 43or 78end
print("🐱",e,y,8)y+=7print(s,84,116,10)if(y==91)and(e==x)then stop()end flip()goto

Made in homage to the old single-game LCD handhelds that had you dodge oncoming traffic with your racing car.

Twitter: Ludokultur

7 comments

Is there any way of editing the spritesheet at runtime so that I can use the spritesheet as the save location for a game?

The game consists of a 32x32 grid but each grid can have many states so figured I could store that as binary, but that doesn't really work well with the cart data limitations. So I figured if I can store the information to the spritesheet, I'm just utilising the memory available there but I cant seem to find much documentation on the matter. I know there is sget/sset but when I used that the screen had alternating colour lines appear... (I think I was putting it on the lower half of the spritesheet if that might be part of the issue?)

Maybe a text file would be better?

6 comments

Hello, everyone!

I am very new to this and not a good programmer in general (language comes much more naturally to me than maths) so I need your help. I'm making my first PICO-8 game. It's a WWII submarine simulation game where you have a top-down view of your sub. You can dive (which just hides the boat) and fire torpedoes. I have most of the graphics done. What I need your help with is this:

How do I rotate the game world around my boat and keep track of enemy ships I spawn? The game world itself is empty (it's just the blue ocean). But I want to spawn in ships randomly off screen and then have them move slowly across the game world. And I want my boat to be able to turn around slowly with the camera locked to the boat. I've decided the boat will just move at a fixed pace so all the turning is doing is changing the view of the world (which is what you see on screen). I might actually just fake movement of the player boat by moving the enemy ships in a relative direction accordingly.

Let's assume the boat isn't moving. I can tackle that later, when I have this other stuff in place. How do I define a section of ocean a few screens wide in all directions and then spawn enemies there? And how do I rotate the view around the sub (including the enemy sprites) and then keep track of their position relative to the rotating camera?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #sandpiles-0 | 2021-05-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Play with sandpiles, mathematical constructs that have simple rules and odd properties.
Use a brush to pour sand on, or go by singular grains. Flatten to any height with the brush or using the menu. Swap out colors with the built-in palette.

Options:
❎: to brush
🅾️: to palette
arrows: select options
Brush:
❎: paint
🅾️: back
arrows: move brush
Palette:
❎: switch theme
🅾️: to options
arrows: select options

Feedback appreciated!
inspired by Numberphile

2 comments

Intro, Sonic by Denatus

Remake and demake of my old 64kb PC intro. The original 64kb PC intro placed 3rd at "Remedy Party 95" which took place in Solnahallen Stockholm Sweden 1995.

• Code by Denatus
  • Graphics by Denatus
  • Music originally by Silke but remade in Pico-8 by Denatus

Cart #rm_sonic-0 | 2021-05-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

7 comments

I am extremely confused as to how I would go about uploading a pico-8 cart.

Info for doing it with files and with "save @clip" would be appreciated.

As for using "save @clip" I'v tried just copying the commandline but it still doesn't seem to be working.

11 comments

Cart #wiphorrorshooter-3 | 2021-05-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've decided to make a horror shooter. This one has easy to expand multiplayer. Just add as many new_player() statements as you need!

Update 1.1.0:

• Added map loading from-sprite
  • Fixed a few bugs
0 comments

Cart #pm_contra_demo-3 | 2024-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #pm_smw_demo-3 | 2024-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #picomap-16 | 2024-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #pm_testcart-4 | 2024-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

82 comments

Cart #kjs_monster_trainer-1 | 2021-05-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

9 different monsters; common, rare, and quest related
Care for your monsters, send them on quests, or encounter random events
Share battle codes of your common or rare monsters to fight one another
Mouse, keyboard/controller controls

2 comments

Cart #canyonmarket_2_thegame-3 | 2021-05-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Figured out how to add some music! This will be the final version for at least a week while I get my shit together.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->