BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #picopill-3 | 2021-05-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I present to everyone a very snappy Dr Mario clone called Pico Pill. My goal was to code an action puzzle game that I want to play with tight controls, and I think you'll enjoy it too if you give it a try!

If you have prior experience with Dr Mario, you'll feel right at home while noticing some significant differences at the same time. Instead of choosing level and speed, the game is a progression of 30 levels (no speed selection), and the speed on each level progresses from very slow to blazingly fast.

I'm never sure if/when I'll be improving and polishing my games for another release, but feedback and ideas are always welcome! Enjoy!

Version 0.4:

• Piece clearing animation does a neat swirl before disappearing

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #galacticon-0 | 2021-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to Galacticon. You're a space fighter pilot in a fierce uphill battle, pitted against hundreds of alien invaders who have shattered your home planet. How many aliens can you shoot down to avenge your home?

Arrow keys to move, X to shoot.

You can adjust the number of enemies to spawn both in the title screen and after dying.

This is my first game, so it's nothing special, but I hope you enjoy it!

Have fun!

2 comments

Cart #yerotawaru-0 | 2021-03-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

I know this might sound stupid, but I don't know why the demo uses 4 cocktail sorts to sort through all points. Is there a good reason or is this just a result of experimentation?

0 comments

Cart #liquorstore420-1 | 2021-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #serominohu-0 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An IST game that I made for my assignment, meant to show off my abilities and what I have learnt throughout the term. Definitely not a completed game

0 comments

Cart #ritz_odyssey-0 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first game on PICO-8!

Help Ritz reach and defeat the Agnaktor

Keep your stamina up by eating meat and avoid all the dangers in your way.

Controls:

X - Jump
Z - Dash (Hold)
Left - Brake

4 comments

Cart #void_protocol_v1-0 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

Left/Right/Up/Down - Move Spaceship
X - Fire Projectile

Gameplay

Fight your way through up to nine levels, firing and collecting your projectile. Can you find all three endings? Defeat the enemies, seal the breach, repeat!

The game is also available to play at https://kevinthompson.itch.io/void-protocol.

Developer Notes

This game was originally created for the first Eggplant Show community game jam (https://itch.io/jam/eggplant-podcast-community-game-jam). I developed everything using an object-oriented structure that resulted in a pretty solid prototype, but ultimately chewed through tokens pretty quickly. I plan to revisit this game in the future in order to reclaim tokens, add more enemies, and possibly bosses and a high score system as well.

The expanded source code for the game is available on Github (https://github.com/kevinthompson/void-protocol-p8).

Credits

Music by Gruber (https://www.patreon.com/Gruber99)
Design/Art/Code by Kevin Thompson (https://twitter.com/kevinthompson)

15 comments

Cart #flags_for_friends_v1-5 | 2021-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What do an excitable asexual pirate, a cultured genderqueer vampire, and a lesbian bird who may be at an important decision point in her life all have in common? They're all your friends, and they're all counting on you to make an absolute banger of a flag for them! In Flags for Friends, you play as a queer artist in a post-scarcity era and make custom pride flags for -- wait for it -- friends!

Design the Perfect Flag!

• Use a limited toolset to create an awesome flag based on thoughtful prompts provided to you by your friends
  • Or, go rouge, and make whatever the heck you like!
  • Design the perfect flag using only the colors of your favorite pride flag - plus, one extra, customizable color, for that extra bit of flavor

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #pubiduhego-0 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first game I've ever published, I made it for a game jam last year and then finally got round to making some improvements and uploading it here. It's very simple and won't take long to complete, but I quite like the overall look and feel. Enjoy (for 2 mins lol)

0 comments

Cart #navigate_square-1 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

Mel's Apothecary is a small RPG potions shop simulator in the vein of Moonlighter, if you've played that. Forage ingredients, brew and sell potions.

It's still very much a WIP, but I'm proud of what I've got so far and wanted to share! Would definitely take constructive feedback.

Cart #mels_apothecary-2 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TODO: Some things I have planned-

• A little town market to spend your hard-earned coins at.
  • Unlock recipes by purchasing books
  • Buy extra furniture--shelves and cauldrons
  • Small bits of dialogue between Mel and her customers
  • More map areas to explore
  • SFX/music
  • Title screen

Edit: forgot to add, the tileset is very much inspired by Cluly's famous PICO RPG Forest Tileset :)

4 comments

Cart #haquerwave-0 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Bullet Hell style game made for the Bullet Hell Jam

0 comments

Cart #lonelyswamp-1 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Over the weekend, I participated in my first game jam! Mini Jam #79 had a "Frogs" theme, and a required limitation of "Only One Level". I had already decided that this game would avoid the colour green, so "frog" was going to be a challenge! After settling on a poison dart frog, I had my core game mechanic: you get to turn into a dart to dash around.

We had 72 hours to complete our games, and I'm very satisfied with how mine turned out! Give it a go, and experience one of three endings depending on how you play!

Update: after some feedback from the jam, I've updated the camera system, it should be a bit less jerky now :3

3 comments

Hi guys.

I have a question about running things in RetroPie (EmulationStation).

I have what seems to be everything installed correctly. By this, I mean I have a system in EmulationStation called Pico8, and I have a list of cartridge games that boot just fine when selected.

At some point, I added a script file that appeared at the top of the Pico8 game list. When selected, this script booted straight into SPLORE, and loaded the main SPLORE browser. I had an SD Card failure, and as a result, I had to revert back to an older image of my RetroPie before I added Pico8. I have the cartridge games in my Pico8 system and they boot just fine as before, but the script I acquired beforehand has been misplaced. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it etc.

I have read tutorials (such as the one here) that demonstrate creating the script, such as +Start PICO-8.sh, and then adding code such as this:

!/bin/bash

pushd "/home/pi/pico-8"

./pico8 -splore

popd

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #wskfogi-0 | 2022-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

More progress! It's the end of my vacation so I won't have as much time for this going forward. Will try to sneak in a few hours here and there though.

Cart #gadsefah-0 | 2021-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Another progress build. Need to optimize and fine tune but pretty happy with this engine so I thought I'd share.

Cart #wuzuhikabo-0 | 2021-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #grimmrobe_lilbugger_1-1 | 2021-05-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone!

I have another game for you all! This one is called Lil' Bugger, in which you drop bugs into a little boy's sandbox to make even bigger bugs and score points. It was originally meant for the MiniJam in April, but in my classic fashion, I didn't finish it within the jam's timeline. The theme this time was bugs and the limitation was: You are the bad guy (hence Lil' Baby Bobby's never ending tears)

The game is loosely based on the tabletop strategy game Tiny Towns but much simplified for the sake of being a short little ditty. The music is not great so feel free to play with the sound off!

How to play

• Select a little bug to place in the sandbox

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #dodger_0cs-0 | 2021-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

I need ideas for when I first start developing in Pico-8. I've been looking at tutorials on YouTube, but I can't quite wrap my head around them, so I thought would come to the community for help. Anything easy to start with would be nice. Thanks!

2 comments

Cart #picorush-9 | 2021-05-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

based on boardgame rush hour

lead the red car to the exit

22/05/24 0.8
bug fix (advanced level 3) thanks Alban!

21/05/24 0.8
bug fix (intermediate level 3&4) thanks Alban!

21/05/04 0.6
36 levels in 4 different difficulty modes
level selection
ranking
pico8 menu item (restart level and select level)

21/05/02 0.4
9 levels of easy mode
title screen

21/05/02 0.2
bugs fixes
moves counter

21/05/02 0.1
initial commit

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->