BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #helpdelie-0 | 2021-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

23 comments

Cart #superbowel-0 | 2021-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Does anyone even know how American football is played anymore?
my first pico-8 game ! a small arcade-y bullet hell game for the 2021 bullet hell jam :)

player sprites courtesy of krishna palacio.

1 comment

by IJIMO
Cart #rend-0 | 2021-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #streets_pcm-0 | 2021-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Heavily inspired by this

A Master System/Game Gear sound chip emulator in Pico8 using the PCM channel. Features 4 songs from SOR1&2 for the Game Gear (use left/right to select)

How it works:
VGM files are logs of register writes. I wrote a program to decode them, save what the reg settings were every 60th of a second, and RLE compress them into strings. The sound chip is basic enough to write a simple emulator for Pico8.

Limitations:

• Not really an audio guy, may still be glitches
  • Looping only goes back to the start of the tune, rather than part-way-through as in some songs. Probably would need to decompress the songs to pico8 memory to do that, instead of my "clever" on-the-fly RLE decoding

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #slammerslime-0 | 2021-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Objective:

Destroy the enemy red slime by slamming bullets back to it.

Controls:

• arrow keys/d-pad: move the green slime around avoiding red bullets
  • z key: every 10 seconds you can jump and slam down on bullets within a radius around you to send them back to the enemy
5 comments

If I'm in tab 0 and press ctrl-f to search for, say "world" because I want to change it to "universe", ctrl-g will help me find all the other instances of "world" in tab 0.

Then I switch to tab 1 and want to do the same thing.

I hit ctrl-g... nothing. I have to press ctrl-f and type my search again.

It would be great if ctrl-g remembered my search term even when I switch tabs :)

3 comments

I'm currently setting up a pi-based arcade cabinet with pico8, running through emulationstartion on retropie. I've got pico8 working sucessfully, with the exception that i cannot quit pico8 without a keyboard connected.

Looking at this thread here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28629, it seems that from version 0.1.11 the "menu" button should bring up a menu from the splore home, which you can then quit pico8 from. I assume this menu is the one brought up when the esc key is pressed. This doesn't work for me, the menu button lets you exit a game to return to splore, but does not let you shutdown splore itself. In the main splore menu the menu button functions as a select button. The only way to quit pico8 is with the esc key, not feasible for me as I don't wish to have a keyboard attached to the machine.

I am currently using PICO-8 v0.2.2c on both my computer and the pi, and both exhibit this same behaviour.

Has this feature been removed? Is the function of the menu key configured somewhere?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

I noticed on both my raspberry pi 3 and my raspberry pi zero w this evening that after exiting PICO-8 having run certain games (in particular, my cart Mad Wizard) the terminal is filled with the text:

targetcount=0

I also noticed this same game stuttering a little bit where I don't remember it stuttering before, and I'm guessing it is due to this console output. Unremoved debug print perhaps?

0 comments

Cart #icecreamclouds-1 | 2021-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Straight from the laboratory of Professor von Stroopwafel is a modest proposal to solve global climate change. Enjoy a lighthearted romp through a speculative future. It even has bells and whistles. Happy Earth Day, everyone.

Game Play

Catch falling scoops of ice cream and toppings to fulfill as many orders as possible before the timer runs out.

Controls

Press the X key to advance to the next screen.

Left and right keys move the cone.

Use the Z key at any time to see the ice cream order. Press Z again to dismiss it. The timer is always running so try not to look at the order too long or too often.

2 comments

In the 0.2.2 release, zep made a small tool for creating custom fonts:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41544 (search for "Custom Fonts")

It's a great tool, but if you only have a font snippet (and no longer have the spritesheet), it's hard to edit that font again. So, I extended the tool to also support font importing!

You can get my font tool from the pico-8 console:

LOAD #FONTER

Instructions on how to use the tool are in tab 0 of the cart. happy fonting!

0 comments

Cart #faux_spectrum-1 | 2023-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A mini album (music by Botious) and a "faux (audio) spectrum" demo!

2 comments

With "Bah"s

Without "Bah"s

A remix I made in a few hours.

Credit @bikibird for bell noise

Credit @tesselode for trumpet noise

Credit @Czarlo for helping with sprites (and making the "Bah" PCM sample using @rnd's ASCII tool)

3 comments

Hi, I am working on making an arcade with pico-8, and the platform I used is listed below

• pico8: pico-8_0.2.2c_raspi.zip
  • raspberry pi 4B 8GB RAM
  • Picade HAT from Pimoroni
  • OS: RetroPie 4.7.1 (RPI4/400), Linux 5.4.72-v7l+ armv7l GNU/Linux

My current status is I can boot up other simulators in RetroPie (I was able to play Pokemon Red from Gameboy with sound and correct key mapping), so I feel that the arcade works as it's supposed to be.

However when I tried to run pico8
pi@retropie:~ $ ~/pico-8/pico8 -splore

It gives me error:
SDL Error: Could not initialize EGL
** FATAL ERROR: Unable to create window
Segmentation fault

I was assuming due to the fact that I'm not a Linux user so I probably didn't do the right thing to "install pico8 in linux" (like adding it into PATH? No idea...) Could anyone share some thoughts? Thank you!

Vince

4 comments

Hello, hopefully I've posted this in the correct area, the BBS is a little confusing.

The three lines below are really troubling me.
The first one demonstrates that we have access to i, x, and y.
The second one demonstrates that we have access to a[1][1][1].
The third one should evaluate to a[1][1][1] which we have access to and stores the value "0", but instead it crashes.

The code:

print(i..x..y) -- returns "111"
print(a[1][1][1]) -- returns "0" which is the correct value stored there
print(a[i][x][y]) -- error

The error:

print(a[i][x][y]) -- error
attempt to index field "?" (a nil value)

Does anyone know why it works this way? Any advice on the correct syntax? I can post the full code if needed, but it's somewhat obfuscated in favor of fewer characters.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments

Cart #gefehesemo-2 | 2021-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A remake of the old snake game, very simply.

Also available to play on Itch: https://blinks.itch.io/snake

0 comments

This code:

x+=x<0 and -100 or 100

doesn't work the way I'd expect; it sets x to either -100 or 100

I assume this happens because that line gets preprocessed to this:

x=x+x<0 and -100 or 100

which gets interpreted like this:

x=(x+x<0) and -100 or 100

but I wish it would be preprocessed to this instead:

x=x+(x<0 and -100 or 100)

Here's a test cart; it currently (0.2.2c) fails the tests:

Cart #zemazebosi-0 | 2021-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

Was poking around in the new Pico-8 binary files and saw that the

"Pico8.dat" of version 02.2c was 15.64mb in file size compared to the earlier version I had of "Pico8.dat" of version 01.9b at 1.06mb in file size.

This prompted an investigation.

If you compare the two files you will see that version 01.9b appears to be binary:

Whereas the much bigger file in 0.2.2c appears to mostly be Pico-8 code !

So after truncating the binary data it was indeed a Pico-8 sourcecode file !

While there was no source text there was indeed a sound. Imagine my surprise when I played it.

[sfx]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Calling line() with these arguments is causing PICO-8 to crash. It seems any iteration around having these "extreme" values on one axis is causing it to either get stuck in an infinite loop or crash outright.

line(16,-15070,17,29772,12)

Oddly, if you flip the x and y values it'll finish executing and display the command prompt without rendering the line, but then crashes as soon as a key is pressed.

line(-15070,16,29772,17,12)

1 comment

Cart #mijogitese-0 | 2021-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Had some time between jobs and wanted to play around with something new so picked up PICO and loved it. I had hoped to work on this more before I started but some personal stuff kept me from it. Wanted to publish the WIP. Hopefully will be able to come back to it.

Holding Z and moving creates a copy of the player. X resets the level.

1 comment

Cart #osmium-1 | 2021-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

❎ to thrust
🅾️ to shoot

Very early days. Intended to become something a bit like Uridium (hence the name) but with Blastar/Asteroids style movement.

Working on something else for a jam at the moment so this is unlikely to get updated frequently. Just a Sunday afternoon doodle :)

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->