BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Second post in less than half an hour!

I think this bug exists because @zep might have been a bit lazy when coding cursor changes for code tabs, so instead of checking if there's an actual tab in the position, he just made the cursor change when it is in a certain square where the tabs could be. To be fully honest, I don't blame him. Most of us here are programmers and you can't say you never get lazy with something in code.

TL;DR: Cursor changing doesn't check if tab is actually there.

0 comments

Got some random inspiration from @thattomhall's "Who stole the coal?", specifically the graphics, so I decided to start my own little thingy. It uses Screen Mode 2, for those who are curious.

Story:

You are Unnamed Wizard, and you're hanging with your friends, when some Big Bird King who calls himself "Haponke" swoops down and steals your wand! Now, according to WizTown law, all who call themselves "Wizard" and don't have a wand are outcasts and should have their backside kicked into the Great Beyond. You know this, so obviously, you RUN!

On the way out of WizTown, you find a strange, L-Shaped, steel thingy. Carved on it, are the words "GLOCK-19".

"
 Alright then! Guess I'm going back to town.
  "
    - You, 5 seconds ago

Don't have much yet, but I hope to release a demo soon!

1 comment

A helpful function to create a scrolling menuitem.

function menu(i,opt,func)
	local indx=0
	menuitem(i,"< "..opt[1].." >",
		function(b)
			if(b==112)then
				func(opt[indx+2])
				return
			end
			indx+=b*4-6
			indx%=#opt
			menuitem(i,"< "..opt[indx+1].." >")
		end
	)
end

Demo:

Cart #dobuidowat-0 | 2021-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

My question is, how do you add enemies to a game, do you use tables? Use local values in a function? Or some other way?

2 comments

I'm trying to randomly select a value from an array.
I expected this to get me a random index in the array, but I'm getting the same every time.

stmp={-130,50,500,1000,1500,2000,3000,3500}
 strt=rnd(#stmp)
 t=stmp[ceil(strt)]
 print(#stmp)
 print(strt)
 print(t)

Always prints:

I've used rnd() in other carts but I've never encountered this behavior before, please advice.

3 comments

Cart #nintweetasketch-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple Etch-a-sketch tweetcart in 233 chars

Z and X -> Up and down
Left and Right -> as self
shaking is on the menu

the cart:

s,j,x,y,r,b= 1,64,64,64,rect,btn
menuitem(5,"∧",function()s=1end)::_::if s>0then
memset(24576,103,8191)s=0end
x+=(b(1)and 1)or(b(0)and-1or 0)y+=(b(5)and 1)or(b(4)and-1or 0)pset(x,y,0)for i=60,j do
r(j+i,j-i,j-i,j+i,8)end
flip()goto _
1 comment

[sfx]
Some music I made in a few hours. Copyright Nintendo for creating this music.

3 comments

PICO Space

Cart #drakeblue_picospace-2 | 2023-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

v1.2
Defend the animals of the galaxy from the space weevil invasion in your grandad's space taxi!

Check the notice boards at space stations for prospective passengers. Gain rewards when they're delivered safely and discover how to defeat the weevil menace.

The galaxy is quickly becoming a more and more dangerous place so be careful out there - with 50-70 systems and some questionable government policies an animal needs to look after themselves!

Please report any bugs or if something is unclear below. Feedback helps me improve and is always welcome :)

Controls

Main Menu

• Use Up, Down and X to select options in the menus.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

Cart #yezerupoza-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #blockrush_artridge-3 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Block Rush is a retro styled puzzle game where you can't stop moving until you hit something.
Reach the chest to win and take the crown for added challenge.
Move with your arrow keys, enter a level with X and exit it with O. Interact with objects with X once in a level.
Encounter a variety of objects as you progress through the increasingly difficult levels.

10 comments

Cart #gofastdeliverthings-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Go fast deliver things

In a world where delivery is plentiful and the times are good the workers, that is the robots, are thinking that perhaps things could be better. While performing deliveries on time you also have an opportunity to make change in the world, the choice is yours, deliverer.

Controls

• Movement — ⬅️ ➑️
  • Jump / Start / Retry — ❎ / X

Your current deliveries are listed in the top left, you need to visit those house numbers to make each delivery.

Game Jam

This is an entry for the second [Eggplant Community Game Jam #2][] where the theme is "Good Times with Bad Robots". The source for the cart can be be found in this

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #zattack-1 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Turn-based strategy. Do not let the monsters pass You!
Eliminate 10 waves of attack to win.

0 comments

Cart #planets_n_sol-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Completely innacurate, but still looks cool IMO.

Also, space music!

I wanted to make a space game that looks like this, but eventually gave up and just made it a visualisation of the first four planets of our Solar System. I think it look cool, and am especially proud of the music.

Enjoy watching the rock spheres spin around and around. I sure did!

0 comments

My question(s) is, what is the best way to store level data and/or do you need a special PICO-8 level editor to do that? I am asking because I'm currently making a game with more levels than one map can handle.

28 comments

A question about dialogue boxes!

I'm new to both coding and Pico so bear with me, maybe there's no right answer but would appreciate suggestions.

Say you have a standard type of RPG game with a character who moves, and you approach or talk to an NPC, triggering a dialogue box on top of what's already on the screen (just like any old pokemon or dragon quest game). What would be an efficient way to do this? Load a new scene but don't clear the screen? Disable the player character's movement and actions while a list of text cycles through?

I've made a clunky textbox function (see image) but there must be a better way.

Any ideas or links to successful examples would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

4 comments

Cart #sussy-0 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I hope nobody presses X

4 comments

Cart #happy_bee_time-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

~Happy Bee Time~

Hi! I'm Taffy, and this is my first published Pico-8 game Happy Bee Time!
This is a randomly generated bee simulator where you just try to get as many bees as you can.
You explore by either buying tiles yourself for honey or letting the bees explore themselves.
Once you have enough honey, you can find a tree and get even more beeeeees!
I would like to add more to it in the future, though it will take some time before I do.
This was a very fun project to work with, and I am very happy with the pixel art and where
my programming skills with Pico-8 are going. I have learned a lot, and I hope you guys like it!

Controls:

• πŸ”ΌπŸ”½β—€οΈβ–ΆοΈ: movement

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #frlytweetningow-4 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Random fireflies that procedurally syncs up in 270 Chr, not bad for a first tweetcart i guess?
Ctrl+r to start again

the code:

s,r,c=sin,rnd,pset p={}
for i=0,200 do p[i] = {}
for j=1,3 do p[i][j] = r(128)-64 end
end::_:: cls()for i=0,200 do for j=1,2 do po=p[i]
p[i][j]=(po[j]+r(2)-1)%128 end
po[3]+=(po[3]>p[flr(r(50))+1][3])and -0.1 or 0.1
c(po[1],po[2],1+s((po[3]/64)*t())%11)
end flip()goto _
0 comments

Cart #caroline-0 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A Portal demake disguised as a Celeste Classic mod.

Note: This is not a demo, if anything were to make you think so. πŸ‘€

Controls

E + S + D + F - Move
Left Mouse Button - Fire Blue Portal
Right Mouse Button - Fire Orange Portal
A or Middle Mouse Button - Clear Portals

by Meep and Lord SNEK

Music by RubyRed

18 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->