BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #donswelt_huttonminimal-5 | 2024-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a Pico-8 demake of the infamous flight to Hutton Orbital in Elite Dangerous. Originally, it is a space station 0,22 lightyears away from its star. It takes over one and a half hour in-game time to reach it. Players either hate or love it. I for myself love it and decided to make this little game about it. But don't worry:

You don't have to fly over an hour. The T-5 hauler featured in this demake is fitted with the lates in thruster technology. This baby will take you to Hutton Minimal in about 15 minutes!

Update 3.1 (new!)

• New events added.
  • Added GFX for battles and upgrades.
  • New title screen animation.
  • Optimized controls to be playable with one hand.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #mekasehusi-2 | 2021-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

here is a little cartridge demonstrating the reflection of light ray on a mirror.
i'm new to pico-8, and i love it.

0 comments

Cart #nocliplost-1 | 2021-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Finally, track four! This is a short one.
It sounds like something from a trailer so there's one use idea!

If you want to translate the symbols, the language is Korean(I'm not Korean but it looks cool so...). Of course, if you already knew Korean, you would know that it was in Korean and you would understand the Korean since you already knew Korean. Y e a h . Anyways, enjoy!

0 comments

Cart #starjump-0 | 2021-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You are a star that jumps (video gaming).

Soundtrack: youtube.com/watch?v=qi2jSi0W4JM

Move: arrows or ESDF
Jump: Z/X/N/M

Addition options in menu (P/Enter):

• Adjust wobble intensity
  • Show timer
  • Skip screen
  • Reset progress

Big thanks to friends and twitter pals for the testing, support and feedback <3

35 comments

Cart #tetris-1 | 2021-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey guys,

This was slightly based on the NES version.
I wanted to start learning Pico-8 and found motivation in the fact that my fiancee loves Tetris, so yeah, another Tetris game was made ^^

I don't know if I'll be able to create sound effects for it because I lack the knowledge, but who knows, maybe someday in the future?

Anyway, if you play it, I hope you have a good time.

3 comments

Cart #toki_pona_dictionary-1 | 2021-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Toki Pona tool

OK, so this project has been completely revamped from the original. In addition to cleaning up the dictionary, it now also includes lessons that will teach you how to speak Toki Pona.

Features:

• 20 chapters that teach you everything you need to know to communicate in Toki Pona
  • Dictionary revised for clarity and useability
  • New UI and color palette. Looks nicer than ever

Enjoy!

13 comments

Boy has it been a full year since the last version, boy time sure does fly. I plan to add smaller graphical updates for now but in the near future I plan on revamping the old code and add more settings and customization, hopefully. For now v1.1 has a auto pick option in the settings under the "random colors" option for single player.

Cart #gujapitase-1 | 2021-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Pico-8 is a great tool, and for many reasons. The main reason I believe Pico-8 is so awesome is because of its restrictions. Limited palette and resolution inspires creativity, limited memory and computational power inspires optimization, and limited data values inspires frustration.

Yes, frustration. What I'm talking about is the 16.16 fixed point that only allows number values to go up to 32,767. I've only just started using Pico-8 but this is such an infuriating detail to me, which is why I've made this post in favor of allocating just a little more space for numbers. Something like 48.16 fixed point instead, or even 32.16 or 24.16 if possible (I'm not too knowledgeable on binary storage).

Yes, I know, there are several solutions to this problem. I've researched many and even came up with one of my own, but when you're just trying to throw together a game that for whatever reason requires values higher than 32,767, it's a total pain! On a recent game (where I first encountered the number limitations), I found myself spending more time fixing and optimizing this problem then I did working on the gameplay. That said, I'm not very good at math, but I still believe that it should be easier than this.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Hi everyone.

Playing around with the new mouse control feature of PICO8 I got the idea of a "1869" style game.

Remember "1869" on Amiga? It's a trading game. You ship around and buy and sell goods.

This is a very early stage but somehow I got stuck on my way using tables.

Perhaps someone can give me a clue?

Cart #anno1869-0 | 2021-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

16 comments

Cart #gridsofthermometers-2 | 2021-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A pico-8 version of a puzzle game I made a few years ago on mobile.

Have fun!

13 comments

Cart #mkol103p8wp-0 | 2021-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico-8 Word Processor

As someone extremely fond of retroactively useless technology, I thought I'd take the time to make an instantly obsolete piece of software. This is the Pico-8 Word Processor, the text editor you never knew you needed (because you don't).

In seriousness, I think this project would work well to keep away distractions when writing. It strips writing down to the bare essentials, almost like writing on a typewriter. No superfluous fluff here; only the written word.

This is my first Pico-8 published project, so let me know what you think or if you can think of any additions. In the future, I'd love to create a version compatible with non-keyboarded hardware (see below) and to include more calming classical music (like clair de lune)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

24 comments

Cart #knutil-12 | 2023-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Feature Overview

"KNUTIL" is a library for PICO-8 that contains functions that are frequently used in the games I have created.
I've kept the functions that I eventually needed in my production.

In this cart, I show you how the scene functions work with animations.
Z key: Execute the order command.
Up/Down: Select the order command.

SCENE MANAGER controls and replaces the order in which functions are called with a small number of tokens by using consecutive string instructions.
The generated SCENE can register a global function as an ORDER.
One of the registered ORDERS is retrieved by SCENE and the process is repeated for the specified length.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

PICO-8 0.2.2b 0.2.2c is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP.

This is a bug-fixing patch for 0.2.2 -- see that thread for a summary of recent features.

0.2.2b does have a few small features though. You can now use a .lua.png extension with the EXPORT command to get the source code (all tabs) of your cartridge printed out to an image with roughly A4 dimensions. This is intended mostly for visualisation purposes, and lines are cropped to 188 pixels (47 characters) wide. The jelpi demo source code is bigger than I imagined!

EXPORT JELPI.LUA.PNG

dots3d.p8 is much cuter

There are also some new extcmd() commands for setting screenshot output filenames, and the window title (intended for exported binaries).

I've also added a way to force the pause menu to come up, even if the cartridge is blocking it with poke() trickery. Simply hold the pause button for half a second, and the menu should come up no matter what (it's implemented at a low level). This might be useful when using SPLORE from a sofa, and a keyboard isn't available to terminate stubborn cartridges.

Full list of changes:

[hidden]

v0.2.2c

Fixed: ?"\ac0" starts from d#0 instead of c0 (again -- 0.2.2b was still broken)
Fixed: splore local directory navigation fails when using a relative home path set with -home
Fixed: export .lua.png only shows the first 2730 lines

v0.2.2b

Added: export foo.lua.png to get an image of the cartridge's source code
Added: Pause menu can be forced to appear by holding down pause for 300ms (even if program blocks it)
Added: extcmd("set_filename","foo") -- set the filename of the next screenshot or gif (can include %d)
Added: extcmd("set_title","foo") -- set window title (useful for exported binaries)
Added: Can toggle punyfont mode at command prompt w/ ctrl+p (useful for inspecting puny variable names!)
Changed: Default filename is /untitled.p8 instead of no filename (auto-increments to untitled_1.p8 etc.)
Changed: circ/oval that are not visible cost almost nothing, including circles that contain clipping region
Changed: filled circles/ovals that contain clipping region cost the same as the equivalent rectfill
Changed: shift+enter in code editor only auto-completes block for DO, THEN, REPEAT or FUNCTION
Fixed: ?"\ac0" starts from d#0 instead of c0
Fixed: preprocessor regression when using string at end of ..= statement: if (true) then a..="b" end
Fixed: pressing L / R in paused menu is registered by running program after closing menu
Fixed: printing text in tall mode (?"\^ttall") via commandline can chop off bottom line before scrolling
Fixed: drag-select text with cursor at bottom or top of screen scrolls too fast
Fixed: spurious stat(0) results when using yield() to exit frame instead of flip()
Fixed: line()/tline() sometimes draws pixels on opposite side of screen (0.2.2 regression)
Fixed: line()/tline() fails to draw lines that have x or y coordinates > 32767 pixels apart
Fixed: can peek() more than 8192 values in single call
Fixed: large fill circles (> radius 900) render incorrectly close to vertical center (32-bit builds, web)
Fixed: even-widthed filled ovals with midpoint < 0 is drawn off by 1
Fixed: black pixels in gif / map export not completely black
Fixed: map and spritesheet exporters do not respect current display palette and 0x5F36:0x8 (draw spr 0)
Fixed: code editor: cursor position off by one when selecting character after glyph (0.2.2 regression)
Fixed: code editor: tab names don't show up when 100% punyfont
Fixed: import spritesheet.png failing under MacOS (0.2.2 regression)
Fixed: export single sfx to .wav crashes when contains sfx instrument references

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Cart #smas_overworld-1 | 2021-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A PICO-8 version of the Super Mario Bros. Overworld Theme from Super Mario All Stars

3 comments

Hide or Risk

Cart #hideorrisk-1 | 2021-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, this is my first release of my first game for PICO-8 and I hope you enjoy it.

About the game:

The principle of the game is to hide from the eyes of the catcher. This can only be achieved by reaching the blocks and good timing.

How to play:

• Start your game by pressing X/C
  • Press left or right to move.
  • Get points for steps to the right. Lose on steps to the left.
  • Hide behind blocks and don't get caught.

Credits:

1 comment

Cart #bigtop_burger_wip_2-0 | 2021-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #dubamoniha-0 | 2021-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

So, I'm expanding my previously released map generator. I've added stuff like biomes, biome generation types, so on so on.
The thing is, I'm making this generator because I want to start an RP community with stuff like being able to claim territory.
My problem: The map is too small. 128x128 is not a high enough resolution for this map. I've modified for the map generator to work on 256x256 pixels, but that would mean I would have to take four screenshots and manually stitch them together, which is a very frustrating process.
So, my question is, is it possible to take a 256x256px screenshot?
Cheers.
EDIT: I think it's worth noting that for automatically taking screenshots in my code is done with

extcmd('screen')

which could be a slight problem.

11 comments

Whenever I try to run pico-8 on my pc, it takes forever to open, then stops responding. All I've done is change my cartridge folder.

5 comments

Cart #letsnottalkaboutit-0 | 2021-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

While playing around with PICO-8's new sound capabilities, the reverb instantly made me think of the reverb effect in Super Mario All-Stars. An hour or two later and you have this, enjoy!

With credit, feel free to use in any cart.

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->